diy solar

diy solar

Li-s. lithium sulfur battery.

Joe

Saw an article on this recently. Not much info. Any insight?

I have been following the research. The promise is huge (double or more energy density at low cost). However, as far as I know, even in lab situations the longevity is nowhere near where it needs to be for most applications. They have come a long way with various innovations.... but just aren't anywhere near a viable product.

It will probably be a long time (if ever) before they become common place. It will be at least a few years before they can work out all the issues. Then it will be several years for production to ramp up. Meanwhile the existing commercial lithium chemistries keep getting better, so the sulfur chemistry has a moving target it has to beat to become a contender.

If you add up all the 'breakthrough new battery' announcements from the past 5 years, we should have AAA cells at 500Ah. ?. The reality is batteries are *very* hard to do. Most breakthrough battery announcements never get turned into product. However, there is so much interest and so much research, I am very optimistic that in the next 5 years we will not only see incremental improvements of existing chemistries, but we will also see a couple improvements that make a large step forward in the batteries we can buy. Will it be sulfur based? I have no idea, but it will be fun to watch this and other chemistries vie for being the next big thing.

Note: There is a lot of rumor that at Tesla's Battery Day sometime in May, Elon is going to announce some significant (huge?) improvements in the batteries they are about to start producing in house.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I know we will be waiting,watching for quite some time. Just having this forum, this community is a great help.

Every few weeks I do a google search on "battery News Today" or "Battery News 2020". Some of the sulfur chemistry work has been getting good press lately. The other areas getting recent press are:
  • Samsung's solid state battery
  • Flow Batteries
  • Rumors about Tesla's upcoming battery day announcement(s).

Back