diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 24v Charger

SemperFiSeaCoral

Hey everyone,

I have two 100ah LiFePO4 banks (8 3.2v 100ah packs connected in series to make a 25.6v pack) and I am looking for recommendations as to a good charging source for 24/25.6 LiFePO4 banks.

I am DIY capable but if there is an off the shelf option that won’t break the bank I am not opposed to that either.

These two 100ah packs will be charged from wall power and speed of charge isn’t a huge issue.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.

I just bought this.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/PB-300N-24?qs=l0g2inPJSHPjNdgtE2ltew==
It came highly recommended
(Actually, I bought the 12v version)

pb-300n.jpg

Meanwell

These two 100ah packs will be charged from wall power and speed of charge isn’t a huge issue.
Charging from solar is fairly popular these days. Have you considered that? I do not own
an LiFePO4 charger that runs on AC power and i have over 40 cells in various batteries.

Just a thought.

Charging from solar is fairly popular these days. Have you considered that? I do not own
an LiFePO4 charger that runs on AC power and i have over 40 cells in various batteries.

Just a thought.
The pack that I have built are for use on my boat so they will be drained for trolling motor use and then brought home and recharged via AC power.

I eventually want to buy a small solar array to charge them when I go camping but for now the plan is to charge them on AC.

Any thoughts on this one from AliExpress?

Hey everyone,

I have two 100ah LiFePO4 banks (8 3.2v 100ah packs connected in series to make a 25.6v pack) and I am looking for recommendations as to a good charging source for 24/25.6 LiFePO4 banks.

I am DIY capable but if there is an off the shelf option that won’t break the bank I am not opposed to that either.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciate.

Thank you in advance.
If using on a boat / around water - should the unit you are looking for be water resistant?

I have the 12/24v Aims unit that Will uses - it's fantastic and capable of high current / fast charging.
Otherwise - you should probably look at something more weather tight? Victron and NOCO make good 24v units...

Any thoughts on this one from AliExpress?
I am far from an expert but looking at the pix, the unit shows “Lithium ion/Lithium Polymer” on it. And the 29.2v suggests it is made for those chemistries (not LiFePO4).
29.2 / 8 = 3.65v. Not sure I would want to charge to upper safety limit every charge cycle.

Just a thought.

What mechanism do you use to insure that the batteries charge properly and to the voltage you want?

Do you use settings in the controller or a post controller device?

I have an Epever 4210N 40amp charger which can be configured for charging LiFePO4 batteries.

But I have a LiFePO4 battery in my vehicle as well that I use for camping and would need another SCC for the vehicle unless you know a good way to properly and safely charge in a situation like that POST Controller

What mechanism do you use to insure that the batteries charge properly and to the voltage you want?
I use solar charge controllers. A Victron 100/30 and a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 45. Both set to charge to 13.8v (fairly conservative 95% charge).

I have an Overkill BMS on the Morningstar charged battery. On the Victron charged battery, I am the BMS.

But I have a LiFePO4 battery in my vehicle as well that I use for camping and would need another SCC for the vehicle unless you know a good way to properly and safely charge in a situation like that POST Controller
Sorry, I cannot figure out what you mean by “POST” controller. Are you suggesting something after the controller and before the battery(+BMS)?

Back