diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 battery orientation (BLS LIFEPO4 Battery)

SV Lyric

Hi All,

I have 8 3.2v 200A LIFEPO4 from BLS link ( https://blslifepo4battery.com/colle...sphate-lifepo4-battery?variant=32514209644624 ) and have tried to find literature from the company and elsewhere online about the possible mounting orientations. I have wrote the company but still have not heard back.

Does anyone here know if it is acceptable to stack this specific battery on the wide flat face (the terminals would be horizantal)? They are going into a sailboat where space is best used if that configuration is possible.

Last edited:
I do not foresee a problem. I build packs that way and so far no problems - would rather have a cell vent sideways than upwards.

Pierre are your installs used in fixed applications or mobile?

Would anyone else care to join in with their experience with blue prismatic cells on their side in mobile applications?

I have built a few portable battery systems and space limitations dictated placing the cells horizontally. Normally in fixed applications one has a bit more space to mount the cells vertically , which seems to be the norm. I am busy with a home setup : 48v battery built into an ammo box with an externally mounted Growatt 5000ES inverter. The space in the ammo box allowed me to place the cells vertically.
I would very much like others to comment on the orientation of the cells as well.

Hi All,

I have 8 3.2v 200A LIFEPO4 from BLS link ( https://blslifepo4battery.com/colle...sphate-lifepo4-battery?variant=32514209644624 ) and have tried to find literature from the company and elsewhere online about the possible mounting orientations. I have wrote the company but still have not heard back.

Does anyone here know if it is acceptable to stack this specific battery on the wide flat face (the terminals would be horizantal)? They are going into a sailboat where space is best used if that configuration is possible.
I have the same application question as you. From what I have read you might 'possibly' shorten the life/power efficacy of the LifePo4 over- time . The LifePo4 Electrolyte (Lithium Salt is the term I heard) might migrate away from some of the "jelly roll" pouches on the top and instead of getting 3000 discharges you get 2000 (IDK , just speculating) . But its interesting to note that there are plenty of LifePo4 Cells lying flat like that in "Rack Mounted" builds I have seen. Here is one for instance (This is the only way to get Prismatic LifePo4 Cells into a 2U or 3U rack height. 1643326004986.jpeg

It's interesting because some "drop-in" 12v LIFEPO4 battery companies allow for any position mounting and others have restrictions. I just wish the manufacturer would provide a data sheet with their recommendations. I can live with a reduction in cycle count but if for some reason it's a safety issue I will have to rethink my battery box.

Depends on the internal build. With prismatic cells, some have a fixed orientation.

Other prebuild batteries use cylindrical cells, those don't matter how you orientate them.

Well good news has arrived. BLS Battery Industries has wrote to me that there should be no problem installing on side for their cells.

Newbee here. I bought four Eco-Worthy 150 Ah 12 v batteries. Eco-Worthjy said that it was 'OK' to orient the batteries on their side, but not to stack them. So, I need to fab some sort of rack so that the battery weight is evenly distributed. The batteries are about 35 lbs each and have plastic cases. If stacking is a no-no, it should be printed on the battery and included in the battery information. Just my thoughts.

I do not foresee a problem. I build packs that way and so far no problems - would rather have a cell vent sideways than upwards.
Been looking for manufacturers recommendations. No luck. What type cells do you use in this orientation?

The battery case is sealed, as in the picture I posted. I followed all the manufacturers instructions for safe operation, as everyone should.

Also, other than the initial top balance, this battery has never been connected to any load, battery charger or solar charge controller of any kind and was not connected to anything when it failed. I's my opinion that it failed on it's own. I just can't explain how or why. I post here to A) possibly help others and B) see if I can learn how to prevent this from ever happening again in the future.

Also, I can't help but notice that YT channels like David Poz, Lithium Solar, and Off-Grid Garage installed their batteries in a seperate building and ship the AC power back to the house. Lithium Solar use a metal shipping container for his batteries, although I would not have put it so close to the house based on my recent experience.

Back