diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 Battery Warmer Install

Some of the Victron solar charge controllers have a Load port that be programmed.

I'll dig into this, looking at a setup that includes a Victron Smart Solar MPPT250/70

Last edited:
The higher amperage/voltage solar charge controllers from Victron don't have the Load feature.
Well that is unfortunate! Perhaps might able to use one of the programmable relays on the Quattro inverter to achieve this as well..? Battery protect looks like a great option as well though.

Today I got the temperature controllers installed for my warming pads. All that is left is to clean up the wiring and get the controllers secured.

I decided (for now) to not use the temperature sensor/controller that came with the kit that Ultra Heat created for me. The first controller they provided worked inconsistently. Testing it at home it worked about 50% of the time. I suspect there was an internal wiring issue, but I didn't open it to verify that. The replacement sensor they sent worked every time but the temperature range seemed like it was 30° F to 44° F, not the labelled 35° F to 45° F. I used the temperature sensor from my Fluke 325 meter to check the temperature at the sensor/controller. The Fluke sensor was taped to the Ultra Heat sensor/controller. It isn't clear how accurate it is to tape the two together, but that's all I could figure out.

The new controller I'm using I got off Amazon for $11 based on recommendations from other forum members. It's the LM YN DC 12V Digital Thermostat Module. It has a programmable range, which I prefer to the preset range. Other benefits are that it shows you the observed temperature and the target temperature on the two displays. Each battery now has its own controller. With the Ultra Heat kit, there was only one controller, so it was warming one of the batteries without knowing what that battery's temperature was. Given that the two batteries sat side-by-side and the temp range was conservative there wasn't much risk. With the new setup, there is zero risk.

1604881968590-png.27058

In the test today, after 40 minutes, the warming pads raised the observed temperature at the top of the battery by 8° F. From ~47 to 53° F. I had to fool the controller by putting the temperature sensor into a gel freezer pack. I could have just raised the target temperature on the controller, but didn't think of that until later.

Each time I checked the current on this circuit, it was no more than 1.68 amps. This was with two warming pads active on a single battery. In my opinion, the results are excellent given the small amount of current that was consumed. The pads must be incredibly efficient.

The temperature reported by the controller was within .75° F of the temperature reported by the BMS's remote temperature sensor. I was pleased to see the two devices report almost the exact temperature. The Victron BMV-712 reported a similar temperature, but it reports only whole numbers. Still, it was close enough to call it accurate. I have both sensors (controller and BMS) taped down together at about the middle of the battery. I used some spare rigid foam to create a hollowed out "cap" over the two sensors so they will be reading the battery temperature without (much) interference from the ambient air. The cap isn't sealed, so this isn't 100% effective.

I checked the backside of the warming pads multiple times during the test. I couldn't feel any heat at all. I used an infrared thermometer and it detected only a 5° F difference between the back of the warming pad and the top of the battery.

The new controller is pretty slick. It's a bit confusing to program at first and comes with no instructions. I found a set of user supplied instructions and cleaned them up. If you want a copy, let me know. I'm going to buy another controller and use it for running a fan to keep the component compartment cool in the summer.
Glad to see the $11 controller. Note I'm awaiting the BN Link controller (currently around $34.99) from Amazon.

Perhaps other vendors have it too: look up: BN-LINK-Professional-Thermostat-Controller-Germination/

It's 2 stage (and it has 2 outlets) and I'm exploring hooking it up to both a heater and an AC unit. I also may be able to section off and insulate the space / area for storage purposes, so that it would be relatively minimal draw on a regular heater or AC unit.

One other thing I've noticed: Heatpads for pets such as Lizards / reptiles might also be used as battery warmers.

Can anyone tell me about the UltraHeat Lithium battery heaters. I contacted the MFG and received a text saying they can help, but there website is not to user friendly and the part number on this blog 2-25N60-BAT810 (and 832) -13V-12W doesn't seem to result in much. I was inspired when watching Gimpy Camper on YouTube. Hopefully UHI Worldwide Inc will share more information. I'd prefer a heater designed for the specific purpose of heating a lithium battery.

I may check Battleborn, but all I can see are $$$ when I think of them.

Has anyone actually ever broken a battery by using it below freezing?
I am in a hot climate so I don't have a dog in this race but it seems like another marketing angle to me.

Can anyone tell me about the UltraHeat Lithium battery heaters. I contacted the MFG and received a text saying they can help, but there website is not to user friendly and the part number on this blog 2-25N60-BAT810 (and 832) -13V-12W doesn't seem to result in much. I was inspired when watching Gimpy Camper on YouTube. Hopefully UHI Worldwide Inc will share more information. I'd prefer a heater designed for the specific purpose of heating a lithium battery.

I may check Battleborn, but all I can see are $$$ when I think of them.
I am following this thread late as I'm exploring battery heater options for my system. I live in a Yurt full time in northern Vermont and travel for a week or two during the school winter break. I watched the same Gimpy Camper video and got a quote from ultra heat for $350. I'm considering other options to save $ but ultra heat is still on the table if needed!

Get their warming pads and the wiring, but skip their thermostat. I don't think leaving the thermostat off the list will save you much. For my install, they made the pads to my requested dimensions, so it's not a hack job trying to make them fit because they're too big or too small. The wiring could be done DIY. It was just handy to use their wiring kit.

Yes, they were expensive, but I've had no problems with the pads or the wiring. Their thermostats weren't reliable so I went with something else.

Get their warming pads and the wiring, but skip their thermostat. I don't think leaving the thermostat off the list will save you much. For my install, they made the pads to my requested dimensions, so it's not a hack job trying to make them fit because they're too big or too small. The wiring could be done DIY. It was just handy to use their wiring kit.

Yes, they were expensive, but I've had no problems with the pads or the wiring. Their thermostats weren't reliable so I went with something else.
Thank you for responding! So just to be clear, on this quote would you just take the top line item or do I need one of the other items as well to get the wiring?

Attachments

• Evan Chartier (1).pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
That's a bit different than my setup since I have a 12 volt system. Despite their top line saying the pads are 54 VDC they're including a 24v->12v stepdown converter. One way or another, you need to get the power down to 12 volts for the pads as near as I can tell. It looks like they have a different kit than I got since it includes a relay and switch.

Here's the issue I have with that quote. It includes a single temperature sensor (as did my kit). So it's going to warm both battery units the same amount. But with one battery mounted on top of the other (assuming you do rack mount them), the top battery will likely be warmer than the bottom battery. With that temperature range I don't think it's a problem, but I chose to use a third-party thermostat for each battery, not one thermostat for the entire bank. My third-party thermostats are programmable for whatever temperature range I want. I don't think their thermostat is programmable. The thermostat provided in my original kit was not.

I don't think they're trying to rip you off. I think they're giving you what you asked for. A 24 volt system makes the kit a bit more complicated. If you already have a 24v->12v converter, you likely don't want or need theirs.

One other thing: I don't know where you're going to mount the warming pads. Does the EG4 have cooling vents in that location? If so, you might want to see if they can make the warming pad without the adhesive. That way you can take the pad off for the warmer months. If there are no vents then slap that pad on there and never worry about it again until you upgrade to a bigger battery. Good luck getting the pad off in one piece. I'm not looking forward to taking the pads off my DIY batteries. I suspect if I need to dispose the cells in 10 years, the pads are going with them.

That's a bit different than my setup since I have a 12 volt system. Despite their top line saying the pads are 54 VDC they're including a 24v->12v stepdown converter. One way or another, you need to get the power down to 12 volts for the pads as near as I can tell. It looks like they have a different kit than I got since it includes a relay and switch.

Here's the issue I have with that quote. It includes a single temperature sensor (as did my kit). So it's going to warm both battery units the same amount. But with one battery mounted on top of the other (assuming you do rack mount them), the top battery will likely be warmer than the bottom battery. With that temperature range I don't think it's a problem, but I chose to use a third-party thermostat for each battery, not one thermostat for the entire bank. My third-party thermostats are programmable for whatever temperature range I want. I don't think their thermostat is programmable. The thermostat provided in my original kit was not.

I don't think they're trying to rip you off. I think they're giving you what you asked for. A 24 volt system makes the kit a bit more complicated. If you already have a 24v->12v converter, you likely don't want or need theirs.

One other thing: I don't know where you're going to mount the warming pads. Does the EG4 have cooling vents in that location? If so, you might want to see if they can make the warming pad without the adhesive. That way you can take the pad off for the warmer months. If there are no vents then slap that pad on there and never worry about it again until you upgrade to a bigger battery. Good luck getting the pad off in one piece. I'm not looking forward to taking the pads off my DIY batteries. I suspect if I need to dispose the cells in 10 years, the pads are going with them.
Thank you for this excellent reply! I'm actually planning not to rack mount the batteries, I'm going to build a single insulated box to keep them in so that they can share heat and be wired together in parallel. I like the idea of using a separate thermostat for each battery, and I've identified two that could work, this one (24v) and this one (12v).

I haven't thought about where to mount the pads, thanks for bringing that up. If I go with the ultra heat I won't stick them on for the reasons you brought up, and if I go with a different solution I was planning to mount them on aluminum sheets and put it either under the batteries or on the exterior side of the batteries, next to the insulation.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options (maybe helpful for others in the future?)

1. Ultra heat. $357. Everything included but expensive.

2. DIY with internal temp control like this. I don't think these can be wired in series for 24v so I'd need to get a 24v to 12v box.

3. DIY with external temp control (seems to be the route most people take?) The 24v thermostat or 12v one linked above seem most common. In combination with these hot, small panels, with a 24v to 12v box or wired in series. Or just the ultra heat panels. Possibly all mounted on an aluminum sheet to distribute the heat?

Thank you for this excellent reply! I'm actually planning not to rack mount the batteries, I'm going to build a single insulated box to keep them in so that they can share heat and be wired together in parallel. I like the idea of using a separate thermostat for each battery, and I've identified two that could work, this one (24v) and this one (12v).

I haven't thought about where to mount the pads, thanks for bringing that up. If I go with the ultra heat I won't stick them on for the reasons you brought up, and if I go with a different solution I was planning to mount them on aluminum sheets and put it either under the batteries or on the exterior side of the batteries, next to the insulation.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options (maybe helpful for others in the future?)

1. Ultra heat. $357. Everything included but expensive.

2. DIY with internal temp control like this. I don't think these can be wired in series for 24v so I'd need to get a 24v to 12v box.

3. DIY with external temp control (seems to be the route most people take?) The 24v thermostat or 12v one linked above seem most common. In combination with these hot, small panels, with a 24v to 12v box or wired in series. Or just the ultra heat panels. Possibly all mounted on an aluminum sheet to distribute the heat?
Your option 3 is exactly what I have done on both of my 24V DIY batteries, using those same heating pads and the 24V thermostat you mention in the first paragraph. I posted the builds of both batteries along with lots of data plots about the heating. Let me know of you want the links to those threads.

Since you're dealing with a rack mount battery, I think the UltraHeat option is suboptimal. For direct placement on battery cells, UltraHeat is great. But I don't think it's that great as a stand-off heating method. With UltraHeat, you're warming only the cells that it's attached to. I don't know how well their pads will do for stand-off heating.

Your option 3 is exactly what I have done on both of my 24V DIY batteries, using those same heating pads and the 24V thermostat you mention in the first paragraph. I posted the builds of both batteries along with lots of data plots about the heating. Let me know of you want the links to those threads.
Amazing! I just ordered one of the 24v thermostats and 4 of the heating pads. Did you use a 24v to 12v or wire your pads in series? Anything else I need to order to get this set up? I'd love links to your builds so I can follow along!

Since you're dealing with a rack mount battery, I think the UltraHeat option is suboptimal. For direct placement on battery cells, UltraHeat is great. But I don't think it's that great as a stand-off heating method. With UltraHeat, you're warming only the cells that it's attached to. I don't know how well their pads will do for stand-off heating.
This is helpful to know, thank you. I'm going to try the budget option with stand off heaters - if it does not work well I can get the ultra heat pads and explore a different option but I think this is cheap enough to try!

Amazing! I just ordered one of the 24v thermostats and 4 of the heating pads. Did you use a 24v to 12v or wire your pads in series? Anything else I need to order to get this set up? I'd love links to your builds so I can follow along!
For my 8S DIY batteries, I used two of the 12V 12W pads wired in series, and the 24V thermostat. It's been working well, and with a well-insulated box it really doesn't take lots of energy from the battery to keep it warm. Two pads in series on a 26V battery will only draw about 1.1A, and for me that would usually run for about 3 hours per 24 hour period to keep the battery between 50°F and 60°F. That's only 3.3Ah drawn per 24 hours.

FYI, I also used Victron Battery Protects to cut off the heating circuit if the battery voltage level falls below some set value (I think it might have been something close to 3.2V/cell), so that I wouldn't drain the battery while trying to keep it warm.

For my 8S DIY batteries, I used two of the 12V 12W pads wired in series, and the 24V thermostat. It's been working well, and with a well-insulated box it really doesn't take lots of energy from the battery to keep it warm. Two pads in series on a 26V battery will only draw about 1.1A, and for me that would usually run for about 3 hours per 24 hour period to keep the battery between 50°F and 60°F. That's only 3.3Ah drawn per 24 hours.

FYI, I also used Victron Battery Protects to cut off the heating circuit if the battery voltage level falls below some set value (I think it might have been something close to 3.2V/cell), so that I wouldn't drain the battery while trying to keep it warm.
Very nice! How does your battery compare with my 2 24v 200ah EG4 lifepower batteries? I'm wondering if I should use 2 or 4 of the little heating pads. I ordered 4 with 1 thermostat but can order another thermostat if needed. Did you use a aluminum plate? I'd love to read about your set up if you are open to sharing it!

I don't have the Victron battery protects but can get one if needed.

Very nice! How does your battery compare with my 2 24v 200ah EG4 lifepower batteries? I'm wondering if I should use 2 or 4 of the little heating pads. I ordered 4 with 1 thermostat but can order another thermostat if needed. Did you use a aluminum plate? I'd love to read about your set up if you are open to sharing it!

I don't have the Victron battery protects but can get one if needed.
I helped someone this summer with two Trophy batteries (rack mount, 48V). He put them in an insulated box, although I wish he could have insulated it more. For his system, I got 4 of the 12V pads, put them in series, and put one pad on each side of each battery. In your case, I would put two in series and put those on one battery, and a second pair in series and put them on the other battery. Just tape all the cells to the sides of the battery cases. I think one thermostat should be good enough if the batteries are together (touching).

I did use aluminum plates under mine cells, with the heaters under the plate. That was needed in my case to spread the heat out across all 8 cells. In your case the battery case will do the spreading, so I wouldn't think heatsink-like plate is really needed. Of course, if the cells are right against the walls of the case it might heat unevenly, but... I still think you don't need them.

Using the battery protect is up to you. If you run the batteries down too far the BMS will cut them off anyway, and then when you have some charging voltage (solar or otherwise) it should power the heaters and get them going. The smallest battery protect for 24V (handles up to 60A) is not very expensive, and seems like good insurance.

Back