diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 bms

DPH

I have recently switched from lead acid to lifepo4 eg4 batteries. 24 volt server banks. I set the inverter settings to shut off at 23 volts. Yet, the bms in both banks has shut down twice this week.
Schneider context, midnight classic charge controller.

I think I figured it out myself. Temps were below freezing both times

Hey @DPH . I see you have a Schneider Conext & midnite. What Conext series do you have. Another forum member is having a difficult time getting his XW to start when he switched to the EG4. Apparently it has to do with the built in start up resistor.

Are yours new? Sig Solar says it's a new feature.

Nice. We have the set up except I have diy batteries. I like the Conext / Classic combo

I do too. I think I am going to try to move the batteries into the house. If I have enough cable.

Freezing temps and Lifepo4 batteries is a not a good combo. For the life and best function of ANY Lifepo4 chemistry battery you should keep them above freezing. Sounds like you are taking action to fix this.

Per the EG4 manual:
There are several thermal sensors to monitor cell temperature. If the temperature of any
cell is less than 23F or greater than 158F, the BMS will disconnect the battery module terminals to terminate
charging. The BMS will automatically reconnect the battery module terminals and allow charging to resume
after the temperature returns to within 32F to 140F.

If the temperature of any cell is less than -4F or greater than 167F, the BMS will disconnect the battery
module terminals to terminate discharging. The BMS will automatically reconnect the battery module
terminals and allow discharging to resume after the temperature returns to within 14F to 149F

Back