diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 case 16pcs prismatic

KC7NOA

Does anyone make a case for 16 150Ah prismatic LiFePo4 ??

Attachments

• 20191219_171853.jpg
    20191219_171853.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 277
It's a diy thing depending on what you want accomplish. Do you want just an enclouser to contain all the cells or do you want to compress the cells? I would definitely want a cover over them something like a thick piece of plexiglass or similar, it would be a good fireworks show if accidental contact between cells was made.:eek:

I have not seen any "cases" made as such because different cells have so much variety in sizes from one brand to another and of course due to capacities. 150AH cell is bigger than a 100 / 120 cell. How about a little carpentry work and make one out of 3/4" Plywood ? Plexi & Perspex / Polycarbonate get's very expensive very quickly. Can you find a local metal shop that can bend up a stainless or aluminium box for you ? (make sure you leave at least 1.5 CM (5/8" ?) space between the top of the cells and lid though (non-conductive). You can buy premade boxes with covers that would do the job like a Pelican Case that would leave some room but if you bundle up the cells nice & snug (like in your picture) you can slip them into the case & pack it to prevent movement without restricting cooling / heating effects...

One fellow down the road used Military Surplus munitions cases (artillery) to put his LFP cells in and even mounted the LCD display from the BMS and everything so it looked like a factory thing almost...

Check this out for some ideas:

This one is pretty nifty I could actually put my 16 Cells (24v/400AH) into this with room to spare. and that drawer could be handy for the external BMS stuff too...

I work in a fabrication shop ... I could TIG a case out of stainless steel ....

Should these not be compressed ? The bus bars they sent were spread out and I bent most of them to allow a closer grouping of the cells.

Yes, I realize the exposed status of the cells is dangerous-- they are in my work area.

My power source can deliver 60A @ 14.4v but crowbars at slightly 60A ... I need a CC so that I can charge the 64Ah@13v---38128's4s8p and the prismatic 4s4p ...

What a wire mess .... lol ... I'm using the tangle of wires as resistance to lower the charging amps

Attachments

• 20191220_065232.jpg
    20191220_065232.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 55
The LFP cells being compressed has been debated up, down and upside down as well. Some ay YES some say no... I go with what the manufacturers state which is YES. That does not mean crushing them together either, just tight & square to prevent expansion or bloating effects and to normalize the temps... You never want to "squeeze / crush" any of the cells. I just went through Busbar hell to replace aluminium busbars and had some cut for me using 110 copper stock. 7 pieces for the 4 hole bars and 2 pieces for 2 hole bars, (8s2p config). The pack comes out as a 20"x11"x9" height with my cells (cells alone) in tis configuration. (See the Shubin link in my sig. for photo's of the pack I am redoing)

Gee, if you work in a fab shop, Diamond Plate Aluminium ! (ok, just kidding unless you want bomb proof lol) I picked up my bars yesterday from a metal shop and geez, I was looking at some of the metals at hand - escaped with wallet intact and ideas a plenty !

To keep prices down... I think I'll just use 10ga mild steel sheet ....

I strongly suggest a non-conductive layer between the actual LFP cells and the case if you make a metal one jus in case anything goes amiss. Standard steel would need to be painted as the last thing you want is rust, stainless or aluminium would be better.

I strongly suggest a non-conductive layer between the actual LFP cells and the case if you make a metal one jus in case anything goes amiss. Standard steel would need to be painted as the last thing you want is rust, stainless or aluminium would be better.
I wonder how that spray on truck bed liner might work to coat the inside of a metal box. I have no experience with it, just wondering.

I wonder how that spray on truck bed liner might work to coat the inside of a metal box. I have no experience with it, just wondering.
Boss said I could use the steel from a cracked rectangular diesel tank ... free metal but I need to drain it and purge the fumes with Argon before cutting

Is this lithium iron phosphate battery? It looks small.
All three packs are LiFePo4 .... two 38120's -- 4s2p and the larger with DIY 1/4" aluminum buss bar 4s8p .... the blue pack on the floor is the prismatic 4s4p

All three packs are LiFePo4 .... two 38120's -- 4s2p and the larger with DIY 1/4" aluminum buss bar 4s8p .... the blue pack on the floor is the prismatic 4s4p
It looks good. What's their power and their price? Sorry, I have a lot of questions;)

You may find something like this insteresting. You can buy them in Aliexpress.

Attachments

• steel battery case.jpg
    steel battery case.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 45
Suppose one could always make a "Cedar Hope Chest" for the battery pack too if inclined and a semi decent wood worker. Or how about a nice Steam Punk affair, could get funky & a conversation piece too.

I need to either notch out a spot for the cables to pass through or get some bolt on pass through....

Attachments

• 20191231_071525.jpg
    20191231_071525.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 65
I need to either notch out a spot for the cables to pass through or get some bolt on pass through....
Have a look here for High quality connectors: Make sure you get 3/8" studs !

I'm looking for something similar to fit an existing case that uses square base & 5/16" studs and it's turning out to be a nightmare to find.

I ended up drilling holes and using some bolts through the 2x4's that are in there to keep the batteries in place as structural points to connect the cables .... @60A the bolts are warm ... I'll need to go larger or make some copper jumpers to get around the higher resistance of the steel ...

Back