diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 cells from USA to Costa Rica.

buddhafragt

Hello,
does anyone have experience with the best way to ship cells from the USA to Cosa Rica? It seems the Chinese are overcharged, so I thought it might be easier to ship the cells from the USA.
That brings me to my 2nd question: buy cheap Lifepo4 (solar storage 100-280 AH) in the USA???

Hello,
does anyone have experience with the best way to ship cells from the USA to Cosa Rica? It seems the Chinese are overcharged, so I thought it might be easier to ship the cells from the USA.
That brings me to my 2nd question: buy cheap Lifepo4 (solar storage 100-280 AH) in the USA???
I would like to know how to ship from China to Costa Rica. for that and for USA to Costa: I know it is important to have seller/shipper with a broker in Costa Rica for handling the customs fees and hoop jumps, and possibly facilitate truck shipping after customs. That is much easier to arrange for shipments to USA. I have a friend who imported beer brewing equipment to Costa Rica from USA. First shipper had it down to handle customs. Second cheaper shipper did not have that down, and it was a huge time sucking headache for buddy to deal with along with nobody to help him at received location for a long time plus storage fees. ... I have a shipping container casa in Montezuma, Costa Rica area, heading down for 10 week early December, ... and open to networking solar and DIY tool class/ projects with folks who are also on the honesty for trust building and networking type of protocols :+) ... use to have a way to ship to a Florida address for shipping container ride to Costa Rica, ... but it was a business run by a buddy I know who I think was bypassing customs (no real info. but think w bribes), and though I was not happy with the lack of tracking info. I got from some stuff I dropped shipped from Amazon to him, ... my items got to me in Costa. ... He said it was really helpful I put my name c/o of his business name and address on everything I shipped to him for that ride, cause not everyone did, and it made iteasy to find and ID my drop shipments. He ended up letting go of that business effort, as it was too many challenges. .. but I would bet there are some better organized shipping container rides available. / might be easier with large weight items. ... Would be very interested to hear more ... in arena of what you find.

Last edited:
Interesting you have a place in Montezuma.
My wife and I lived there for a year in 2013. We rented one of the houses at Three Monkees and another house right at the top of the hill.
Import tax is high. I didn't import much but it was weird that everything that is imported to Costa Rica is more expensive than it is here.
So, cars, washing machines, air conditioners and everything else that is imported costs close to double.

I got a small piece surrounded by larger property owners up on hill near Montezuma Hills. Bill Self with handle Capt Bill from Hobie Cat sailing days, and one buddy calls me Wild Bill ... I am active for an older guy, but with less endurance than my more active days. ... The folks running the Mariposario Brewery Restaurant are close friends of mine. If you are around there in mid Dec ...or Jan ... lets' do lunch ... I like my Northern California home base more than Costa, so much easier to get stuff here for my project intererest, and get it delivery to my door with an internet order, or pickup from nearby. ... I know the ropes for getting some things done in Costa , ...and know everything in projects areana is more challenging. while smiling at the girls make the world go around :+) ... Where you at in Costa now adays?

Hello,

Hi. I'm new here but I have a house in Uvita, Costa Rica and I am actually starting to design another house we will build for retirement. I am going to have to ship down solar stuff including batteries as well as many other construction supplies. I will likely do a container as some point (waiting for new law to be clarified about tax-free container when applying for residency.)

Anyway - I'm not sure where you are in CR but in our area there is a outfit that imports stuff called Get It There Jerry. While this may not work for you since it is local to Uvita and I have heard it is not the least expensive there is at least some good information on the process and rules that he has on his web site.

https://www.getitherejerry.com/packages-freight

Hi. I'm new here but I have a house in Uvita, Costa Rica and I am actually starting to design another house we will build for retirement. I am going to have to ship down solar stuff including batteries as well as many other construction supplies. I will likely do a container as some point (waiting for new law to be clarified about tax-free container when applying for residency.)

Anyway - I'm not sure where you are in CR but in our area there is a outfit that imports stuff called Get It There Jerry. While this may not work for you since it is local to Uvita and I have heard it is not the least expensive there is at least some good information on the process and rules that he has on his web site.

https://www.getitherejerry.com/packages-freight
Hi,
the link you send is very helpful, thanks alot!

Like: Register first (create log on account/ then talk on phone. ... Wow! Looks Like a way to drop ship some 280 Ah LiFePO4 cells from Texas to Florida for ride to Costa Rica. I wonder how much the Costa Rica Customs would cost for their hoop jump, plus what that Total extra cost would be with all fees paid including Get It There Jerry's fees. ... Will explore more specifics later. Thanks. ... Uvita would be a 6 hour drive from my Montezuma hill location near Cobano (requires hour Ferry crossing, plus lines); or 2.5 hour from a friend's place in Orotina. ... Very Interesting Option to consider with a San Jose shopping trip via my 4x4. ... Remembering a high school saying I adopted 50 years ago: "When there is a Will, There is a Way." ... I am studying Jerry's site a bit more ... while wondering who else would be an option. I did this type of shipping container ride from Florida for some other type items 6 years ago via a local buddy who was not as organized on the tracking end, though my stuff got delivered. Note: After studying Jerry's Info. ... a Save on C.R. Import Taxes idea came to mind/ as in update my California LiFePO4s to a newer version, then shipped my used LiFePO4s at 30% declared value. ??? Just some thoughts ... THANKS for your post ;+) ... Extra Info for anyone considering a drop ship from Texas warehouse to Florida: Look up forum posts for Jenny Wu of Docan Technology . ... Please post back here if you accomplish a LiFePO4s route to Costa Rica before I do.

Last edited:
Hi guys, this would be of inrerest to me also. Been trying to find local suppliers but without success. If you know a good supplier here for all solar stuff especially lifepo4's would be great. Thanks

I seriously doubt one could find a LiFePO4 Cell supplier for DIY Builds in Costa Rica. I include the high end pre-built batteries option I found below /that might be 5- 10 x the cost of the 280 -300 Ah DIY cell builds modeled in this DIYSolarForum. For Solar Panels: In 2020 I found this source for $300 Trina - Mono 540 Watt Solar Panels: that then saw price increase ... The 1-2022 price for Trina 450 Watt was $400 each ... as explained -transportation etc. everything vent up! ... via Tomas email contact: Also; I can get you Fortress batteries in Lithium 5.4 KWH - 10 KWH - and 18.5 KWH ( note ...@ the High End Prices ... (from past email dialog:
> need electronic invoice plus 13% I.V.A pick up Ciudad Colon - Fresh market
> Thomas Fees > President | IntiTech Solar
> +506 8814-7610 +506 2438-3272
> Alajuela - Costa Rica
Thomas Fees <info@intitechsolar.com>

Note: If you find a better or similar deals for Solar Panels or other related equipment available in Costa Rica, ... Please pass it on here in this thread. I am keeping track for my buddies here who are interested. While I paid $ 0.50 / per watt for my 2021 Solar Panel purchase (345 -360 watt size ... solid reputation brand panels) in Northern California, ... Tomas's deals, if similar; seemed reasonable for Costa Rica (a my glancing at options research perspective ;+)

Last edited:
Thanks Capt Bill,
On my side i found these
And

Ill try to get the most info and pricing possible. Lets keep this thread well informed.

Currently near Nicoya , Guanacaste

If anybody succeeds to get cell shipped from china to costa rica throw me a pm

I seriously doubt one could find a LiFePO4 Cell supplier for DIY Builds in Costa Rica. I include the high end pre-built batteries option I found below /that might be 5- 10 x the cost of the 280 -300 Ah DIY cell builds modeled in this DIYSolarForum. For Solar Panels: In 2020 I found this source for $300 Trina - Mono 540 Watt Solar Panels: that then saw price increase ... The 1-2022 price for Trina 450 Watt was $400 each ... as explained -transportation etc. everything vent up! ... via Tomas email contact: Also; I can get you Fortress batteries in Lithium 5.4 KWH - 10 KWH - and 18.5 KWH ( note ...@ the High End Prices ... (from past email dialog:
> need electronic invoice plus 13% I.V.A pick up Ciudad Colon - Fresh market
> Thomas Fees > President | IntiTech Solar
> +506 8814-7610 +506 2438-3272
> Alajuela - Costa Rica
Thomas Fees <info@intitechsolar.com>

Note: If you find a better or similar deals for Solar Panels or other related equipment available in Costa Rica, ... Please pass it on here in this thread. I am keeping track for my buddies here who are interested. While I paid $ 0.50 / per watt for my 2021 Solar Panel purchase (345 -360 watt size ... solid reputation brand panels) in Northern California, ... Tomas's deals, if similar; seemed reasonable for Costa Rica (a my glancing at options research perspective ;+)
wow... this Trina Solar panels are for 375W 170 USD here in Germany too. The import tax for panels is as far as I know 0%, so maybe we can make a collective order from USA.
Other option is to buy used cells in Germany and send to CR, the price for mono cells is mostly around 0,23 USD/Kwp:
New cells can buy for 0,33 USD for a 450W panel:

Nice to see more input on this thread :+) ... In scanning options for solar panels and/or related equipment on the internet for Costa Rica, I mostly see websites intending to find customers for their full installation. Hard to find retailer for DIY. ... I think some exist. I see the Trina panels from Thomas Fees I posted above are priced high, but not yet seen better. Got a buddy here who has imported LiFePO4s for electric quads to Costa Rica via shipping container ride from Florida, and he says realistically, add 40% for import tax and other fees. ... I think importing from the USA (via that Chinese company w warehouse in Texas) may make more sense than from China, but the big trick would be having a proper broker lined up to handle the customs hoop jumps. ... Also think shipping good slightly used batteries and/or solar panels could save on import customs cost by claiming 30% of new value on items shipped (though never done any of this).

Trying to see if there are any updates on this topic. I want to find best ways to import new and used Pv/storage equipment to Costa Rica. Looking to connect and talk more about it.

Trying to see if there are any updates on this topic. I want to find best ways to import new and used Pv/storage equipment to Costa Rica. Looking to connect and talk more about it.
I have a buddy in Montezuma Costa Rica area named Pascal who is into electric quads, and electric outboards. He has a website with other related equipment. His prices have me really appreciating the much more economical options available to us in the USA. I sure would like to see more options here for Solar Panels, and LiFePO4 cells in Costa Rica (which will take some hunting, maybe in San Jose area, or down South at tax free import town (I have to study that one more??? Pascal is : https://ecoganico.square.site/shop/...?page=1&limit=60&sort_by=price&sort_order=asc ... P.S. Pascal's website is not fully functioning, like add to cart, and the find the cart to proceed. It is for stimulating you for Talking with him.

Last edited:
Back