diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 charging by alternator.

Seacap

I live full time on a boat. For a solar system this means shading problems because of all the rigging. I wire my panels in parallel because of this. On cloudy days or days when we put a heavy load on, like running computers or run the watermaker we need to fire up the engine and charge the batteries. I have a 70a alternator controlled by a 3 phase charge controller. Right now my battery bank is two T105 Trojans 225a. But they are failing after 3 years. The reason I want to switch to Lifepo4.

I know there are problems that need addressing to do this safely.
1) when the BMS sees that the battery is full it shuts off the charge current. This would fry an alternator. I have a solenoid that connects my house batteries and my engine start battery When it senses a charging current. So when the Lifepo4 shuts down charging the circuit would still be connected to my start battery. Granted only trickle charging at that point but enough to save the alternator. Any problems with this theory?
or I could purchase a Sterling alternator protection device if my scenario is a little dicey.
2) I understand that a Lifepo4 can suck up everything an alternator can put out. This can overheat an alternator to the point of failing. My three phase charge controller has an alternator Tempture probe that will shut off the alternator if it gets too hot. Anybody have one of these? Does it work as advertised? How else can I safeguard the alternator from overheating while charging a Lifepo4? I could get a DC to DC 50a battery charger to feed the Lifepo4.

I have 3x100w solar, wired in parallel. Going through a 20 amp MPPT controller charging a Trojan T105 flooded battery bank (225a). I will be replacing the 105’s with a 150a Lifepo4.

All input considered.

I have no experience with the type of three phase charge controller you are using now. Its probably worth contacting the company or reading the product documentation to see if its designed to be used with LFP or not.

The best practice for alternator charging and LFP are DC-DC battery chargers. Sterling Power, Renogy, are the companies I am aware of that make them.

Its possible the product you already have would work, but its possible it would not. If i were you I would want confirmation from the company itself before relying on it. One possible shortcoming I could see with the device you have is that the temperature protection may be a 'catastrophic' protection feature meant to protect the alternator if something goes wrong, but not meant to keep the alternator at a temperature optimal for continuous/long term use.

Last edited:
Since I posted I have found out I can set the amp out put with my controller. So I plan on limiting the 70amp alternator to only a 50amp out put. That coupled with the temp sensor should be safe for the alternator. The controller was installed in the boat before LFP was popular. But it is very adjustable.

Since I posted I have found out I can set the amp out put with my controller. So I plan on limiting the 70amp alternator to only a 50amp out put. That coupled with the temp sensor should be safe for the alternator. The controller was installed in the boat before LFP was popular. But it is very adjustable.

Could you post a link to the controller or give me a brand name, I'm curious to learn more.

I use a balmar 100a alternator with mc-614. I run in small engine mode. You can see the alternator section and minute 6:00 of this video. This system has been working for at least 1 season .

Back