diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 + inverter RV install questions

topperharley

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my RV electrical with a DiY LiFePo4 280AH battery and a victron 3000 charger/inverter, but have some questions I'm hoping someone can clear up for me. Here is a diagram similar to what I'll be doing, but with some differences; I won't be using a built in surge, and I don't have a built in generator, so my shore power will be going directly to the inverter. I'm also using the victron bluetooth shunt instead of the BMV-712 monitor. Currently don't have solar, but will most likely be adding a solar charger to the system at a later date.

I ordered the 280AH EVE battery from Will's links (hopefully to be here within the month) and purchased a DALY 250A BMS for it. So couple questions regarding this: 1. if the cells all come at the same voltage, how important is it to top balance these cells? will the BMS balance them over time, if off slightly? 2. Does the DALY BMS need to be programmed to the application I'm using it for, and if so how do I communicate with it? Its not the smart version, nor does it have uart. I ordered the one Will has linked he recommended for these cells. 3. Also dumb question, but seeing how the cables needed for this are 4/0 gauge, is there anything I need to worry about with the negative coming off the BMS, which don't seem to be 4/0 (or maybe they are? I actually don't have any 4/0 cable to compare ATM)? just connect it directly to the shunt and be done with it? 4. Any tips for securing the battery cells in place? Thinking of making a simple square out of 2x4's on the floor and putting them in there to keep from sliding around. What can I put on top of the battery to protect the terminals from anything accidently falling on them and shorting it out? Or should I just use of my plastic battery boxes from my current battery, screw to the floor and then able to put the lid on, while possible creating some holes for the cables to easily go in and out? 5. Will states there is no low-temp cut off with this BMS, and I don't doubt him. I believe I heard him mentioning a addition low-temp wire for the Victron shunt, would this be advisable to use? I currently don't plan to be charging these batteries in freezing weather and will probably just bring them inside during the winter while not in use.

The victron mutltiplus inverter - i know it has bluetooth, but I'm confused as to if its built in or I need to install a bluetooth receiver, and if so, does it come with the inverter or do I have to purchase separately? Per the diagram linked above, he has a bluetooth dongle attached to the inverter, but I'm just not sure if it comes with it or not. As awesome as their displays are they have for these, I'd just rather use the app and save the money.

In line fuse - Will has a max 300A fuse link on his site. For 3000 watts, this doesn't seem to be enough. I was assuming to use a 400A fuse which is what I've seen lot of rvers with similar set up use, and the guy who made the diagram used as well. Is there a recommended 400A fuse? Also he is showing fuses on the DC side both before and after the shut off switch. how important are those, and what would be a good amperage to use there? (there may currently be fuses on the DC side coming off the battery, I've been waiting for warmer weather to go out and check it out). Also is it advisable to use a buss bar instead of just putting everything on the terminals? I currently have all connections at the battery on the terminals.

Battery shut off switch - When I installed one on my current lead-acid set up, while everything I researched said you could put it on either the pos or neg, it seemed like the overall suggestion was to use it on the neg side. But in the diagram linked above, and other similar install videos I've watched, they are putting them on the pos side. Any reason for this? Also should I install 2 shut off like he has in the diagram? 1 on the AC side, 1 on the DC side? I'm assuming this is done so either side could be shut off if needed, while still allowing power to the other?

Finally, location - because I want as short as distance as possible between the batteries and inverter to do size and cost of the cables, my current battery bank, like most RV trailers, is outside in the front of the camper. I'm currently thinking of installing this system in the storage area under the master bed. Would there be any reason why I would not want the inverter and battery to be housed under where I'm sleeping? I might section off part of the pass through storage to install these(still under the bed actually), but its a very small, limited space that I'm currently using to its max potential, meaning there may not be room in the passthrough storage to put these. If i install a storage box in the current battery bank location, I may be able to move some things there, which would open up space in the pass through.

Sorry for the long winded post. I think these are all my questions...for now. I might have questions about removing the current battery charger in my trailer, but they may be answered once I'm able to get in there and see how its wired. Thanks for any input.

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my RV electrical with a DiY LiFePo4 280AH battery and a victron 3000 charger/inverter, but have some questions I'm hoping someone can clear up for me. Here is a diagram similar to what I'll be doing, but with some differences; I won't be using a built in surge, and I don't have a built in generator, so my shore power will be going directly to the inverter. I'm also using the victron bluetooth shunt instead of the BMV-712 monitor. Currently don't have solar, but will most likely be adding a solar charger to the system at a later date.

I ordered the 280AH EVE battery from Will's links (hopefully to be here within the month) and purchased a DALY 250A BMS for it. So couple questions regarding this: 1. if the cells all come at the same voltage, how important is it to top balance these cells? will the BMS balance them over time, if off slightly? 2. Does the DALY BMS need to be programmed to the application I'm using it for, and if so how do I communicate with it? Its not the smart version, nor does it have uart. I ordered the one Will has linked he recommended for these cells. 3. Also dumb question, but seeing how the cables needed for this are 4/0 gauge, is there anything I need to worry about with the negative coming off the BMS, which don't seem to be 4/0 (or maybe they are? I actually don't have any 4/0 cable to compare ATM)? just connect it directly to the shunt and be done with it? 4. Any tips for securing the battery cells in place? Thinking of making a simple square out of 2x4's on the floor and putting them in there to keep from sliding around. What can I put on top of the battery to protect the terminals from anything accidently falling on them and shorting it out? Or should I just use of my plastic battery boxes from my current battery, screw to the floor and then able to put the lid on, while possible creating some holes for the cables to easily go in and out? 5. Will states there is no low-temp cut off with this BMS, and I don't doubt him. I believe I heard him mentioning a addition low-temp wire for the Victron shunt, would this be advisable to use? I currently don't plan to be charging these batteries in freezing weather and will probably just bring them inside during the winter while not in use.

I'm building basically the same setup as in your diagram, expect my RV is 50amp so I need a few extra things.

Which Daly BMS did you order? If it's the normal one, there is nothing to program. If it's the SmartBMS, there are parameters you could choose to edit. If you ordered the SmartBMS, look here. I assume your battery is 12v? A 250a BMS doesn't allow much headroom on a system with a 2400watt inverter.

Don't worry about the cable coming off the BMS, it is a short run. I would connect the BMS to your Smartshunt and then use 4/0awg from there.

Top balance, very important. There are extensive threads about this along with videos.

There are multiple threads about battery enclosures. You want something that will hold the batteries in place so that you don't stress the terminals while the RV is moving. Also, it's recommended that you compress the batteries for longer life, since this goes hand in hand with holding them in place it makes sense to do both. I am building an enclosure that will also go under the bed to hold the battery bank.

As I understand, the Victron Multiplus does not read the temperature from the battery sensor installed on the Smartshunt, so it will not shutdown charging based on temp. Not an issue if you are bring batteries inside in the winter.

The victron mutltiplus inverter - i know it has bluetooth, but I'm confused as to if its built in or I need to install a bluetooth receiver, and if so, does it come with the inverter or do I have to purchase separately? Per the diagram linked above, he has a bluetooth dongle attached to the inverter, but I'm just not sure if it comes with it or not. As awesome as their displays are they have for these, I'd just rather use the app and save the money.

You will need to order the bluetooth dongle, and likely the mk3 usb interface to set it all up. I recommend discussing with the dealer you choose to buy your Victron gear from.

In line fuse - Will has a max 300A fuse link on his site. For 3000 watts, this doesn't seem to be enough. I was assuming to use a 400A fuse which is what I've seen lot of rvers with similar set up use, and the guy who made the diagram used as well. Is there a recommended 400A fuse? Also he is showing fuses on the DC side both before and after the shut off switch. how important are those, and what would be a good amperage to use there? (there may currently be fuses on the DC side coming off the battery, I've been waiting for warmer weather to go out and check it out). Also is it advisable to use a buss bar instead of just putting everything on the terminals? I currently have all connections at the battery on the terminals.

The default answer is to use a class T fuse. Your first fuse should be as close to the positive battery terminal as possible. Size your fuse to protect your 4/0 wire. At some point your system will use smaller then 4/0 wire, at that point in the system you will need a lower amp fuse.

Battery shut off switch - When I installed one on my current lead-acid set up, while everything I researched said you could put it on either the pos or neg, it seemed like the overall suggestion was to use it on the neg side. But in the diagram linked above, and other similar install videos I've watched, they are putting them on the pos side. Any reason for this? Also should I install 2 shut off like he has in the diagram? 1 on the AC side, 1 on the DC side? I'm assuming this is done so either side could be shut off if needed, while still allowing power to the other?

The second shutoff in the diagram refers to the already installed battery shutoff in most RVs...if you do not have this already there is no need to add it.

Finally, location - because I want as short as distance as possible between the batteries and inverter to do size and cost of the cables, my current battery bank, like most RV trailers, is outside in the front of the camper. I'm currently thinking of installing this system in the storage area under the master bed. Would there be any reason why I would not want the inverter and battery to be housed under where I'm sleeping? I might section off part of the pass through storage to install these(still under the bed actually), but its a very small, limited space that I'm currently using to its max potential, meaning there may not be room in the passthrough storage to put these. If i install a storage box in the current battery bank location, I may be able to move some things there, which would open up space in the pass through.

Under the bed is a good location because you are putting the batteries in a conditioned space. The Victron inverter/charter makes some noise, if this would bother you may want to put the Victron on the storage side, the wire run would still be very short.

Sorry for the long winded post. I think these are all my questions...for now. I might have questions about removing the current battery charger in my trailer, but they may be answered once I'm able to get in there and see how its wired. Thanks for any input.

If you have the Victron Multiplus you should just remove or disconnect your current convertor.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the standard, non-smart DALY BMS, which I assumed was no programming but wasn't 100% sure.

I've definitely read threads on how to top or bottom balance, but sometimes in Will's video he states how they are all the same voltage and he seems to forgo it, but that may just be because hes just making a video about the battery or whatever.

As for the battery box, I was planning on probably taping the 4 cells together, although I read the thread and watched the video in it where the guy explains that compression may not be best because the cells tend to "breathe" as they are charged and discharged, so I was thinking maybe some 3m double sided sticky tape might work to keep them together while offering a small space tolerance for the cells. I will check some of the threads as far as storage boxes go, thanks.

The guy who made the diagram I linked, also has diagrams for 50 amp set ups with transfer switches and such. Definitely some extra steps for sure, which makes me glad I only have 30 amp in this trailer. I'm psyched for the hybrid function of the victron inverter because we always blow breakers during breakfast with the AC on, toaster going, waffle iron on, coffee pot etc. Not all at the same time, but any one of those with the AC compressor kicking on at the same time and its constantly popping the 30amp breaker, usually the one outside the trailer where I'm plugged into.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the standard, non-smart DALY BMS, which I assumed was no programming but wasn't 100% sure.

I've definitely read threads on how to top or bottom balance, but sometimes in Will's video he states how they are all the same voltage and he seems to forgo it, but that may just be because hes just making a video about the battery or whatever.

As for the battery box, I was planning on probably taping the 4 cells together, although I read the thread and watched the video in it where the guy explains that compression may not be best because the cells tend to "breathe" as they are charged and discharged, so I was thinking maybe some 3m double sided sticky tape might work to keep them together while offering a small space tolerance for the cells. I will check some of the threads as far as storage boxes go, thanks.

The guy who made the diagram I linked, also has diagrams for 50 amp set ups with transfer switches and such. Definitely some extra steps for sure, which makes me glad I only have 30 amp in this trailer. I'm psyched for the hybrid function of the victron inverter because we always blow breakers during breakfast with the AC on, toaster going, waffle iron on, coffee pot etc. Not all at the same time, but any one of those with the AC compressor kicking on at the same time and its constantly popping the 30amp breaker, usually the one outside the trailer where I'm plugged into.
There is a lot of info available on this forum about diy Lifepo4. One of those topics is compression, and some of the threads make it seem daunting and convoluted. Bottom line is according to some battery spec sheets, the compression fixture will prolong cycle life, while others sort of mention compression as an afterthought. If you are concerned about compression, the math comes out to apply about 10-12psi to the cells through a fixture. This is simple enough to do and amounts to nothing more than hand tightening. 12psi really isn’t a lot of force. Charge your batteries up to full capacity while in the fixture, then snug the fixture up (if with a torque wrench then make sure it’s one you trust). Pretty simple.

i have to admit your post was long and I did not read most of it. Do you have a few specific questions that you are looking for help with?

There is a lot of info available on this forum about diy Lifepo4. One of those topics is compression, and some of the threads make it seem daunting and convoluted. Bottom line is according to some battery spec sheets, the compression fixture will prolong cycle life, while others sort of mention compression as an afterthought. If you are concerned about compression, the math comes out to apply about 10-12psi to the cells through a fixture. This is simple enough to do and amounts to nothing more than hand tightening. 12psi really isn’t a lot of force. Charge your batteries up to full capacity while in the fixture, then snug the fixture up (if with a torque wrench then make sure it’s one you trust). Pretty simple.

i have to admit your post was long and I did not read most of it. Do you have a few specific questions that you are looking for help with?
haha, yeah it ended up being longer than I thought. I guess right now my only remaining question may be about top balancing.
literally just watched this video, and it seems like the easiest way to do it? or is there another way to do with without buying a balancer device and/or special charger? the charger hes using is only $60 on amazon right now, so thats not terrible if I just need to get that.

For the capacity test, is that best done out of the rv? like while assembling the battery? or can I just hook everything up and use the devices in my camper with the inverter to check capacity?

as far as capacity test, you can do it anyway you want, as long as you can measure the energy consumed.

RE: victron multiplus, I was planning on grabbing this from amazon, and they have the "Victron Energy VE.Bus Smart Dongle (Bluetooth) ", This would suffice no? Isn't the USB one for wired connection to communicate with it?
What are you hoping to do with it? The smart dongle can monitor, turn on/off inverter and charging, and lets you adjust input current limit on the multiplus. You cannot change any other settings with the smart dongle. If you want to change settings you need the USB and a computer. You can change some settings with dip switches, but holy crap is that frustrating.

Trust me you want the usb interface for the victron. You will want to customize the charging profile.

Class T is a bit of a slow blow fuse. Can run at 150% for 8 minutes before it opens. I would go a bit tight depending on realistic use 300 max and maybe 250 amps only. From Blue Sea:

image.jpeg

The guy who made the diagram I linked, also has diagrams for 50 amp set ups with transfer switches and such.
I would love to look at the 50 amp setups. Can you give a full link to his whole page please? I would be deeply in your debt.

I would love to look at the 50 amp setups. Can you give a full link to his whole page please? I would be deeply in your debt.

The fist link "hybrid inverter install" will take you to the page where he has 3 different diagrams, 2 for 50 amp systems. He has a great video of the upgrade he just did on his new trailer. His channel is also really informative with just about everything RV.

What are you hoping to do with it? The smart dongle can monitor, turn on/off inverter and charging, and lets you adjust input current limit on the multiplus. You cannot change any other settings with the smart dongle. If you want to change settings you need the USB and a computer. You can change some settings with dip switches, but holy crap is that frustrating.
Not sure if your aware but there have been recent updates to what that can do.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/...ct-parallel-three-split-phase-setup-and-more/

Victron has their MultiPlus-II 3000 unit about to ship that will be a game changer for RV's in that it supports 50A/30A dual phase.

I'd take a look at it before buying anything as might simplify the install a lot. But for some use cases you still need to go with 2 units.

Victron has their MultiPlus-II 3000 unit about to ship that will be a game changer for RV's in that it supports 50A/30A dual phase.

I'd take a look at it before buying anything as might simplify the install a lot. But for some use cases you still need to go with 2 units.
Just ordered the MultiPlus II

Where did you find the multiplus ll . I'am interested in getting one for my 5th wheel , checked online and did'nt find any? Any info would be great Thank you

Where did you find the multiplus ll . I'am interested in getting one for my 5th wheel , checked online and did'nt find any? Any info would be great Thank you
They take pre--orders and ship when they arrive. I think they are hoping for another shipment some time in June. AM Solar also has a link to pre-order, but it's a little hard to find.

I think you can find them on Amazon.
Not recommended. Victron services everything through the dealer. If you go that way there have been significant issues getting it done. The price on Amazon is almost exactly the same. Go directly to the dealer.

Back