diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 Safety for Beginners

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
LiFePO4 is VERY different than NCA and NCM lithium batteries..

I find misinformation floating around the internet nearly everyday. People claim LiFePO4 can combust, or do not understand how it can handle overcharging etc.

Well guess what! I found a nice, easy to read article published by a reputable company on the safety and general charateristics of LiFePO4 that everyone should be well aware of:

A short excerpt:

LiFePO4 is an intrinsically safer cathode material than cobalt oxide or manganeseoxide cathode. Technically speaking, the fully “lithiated” and “unlithiated” states of LiFePO4
are physically similar,
which means it’s structurally stable. The iron phosphate oxide bond is stronger than the cobalt oxide bond, so when it is
subjected to overcharge it maintains its physical structure, while other lithium chemistries expand producing excessive heat, which leads to thermal runaway.

LiFePO4 chemistry is highly robust during the oxygen loss that accompanies the charge cycle, thereby significantly reducingt the exothermic reaction that is associated with other lithium chemistries. The heat produced by the chemical reaction in a LiFePO4 battery during overcharge is only 5.5% of the heat that is produced by a lithium cobalt chemistry. Unlike other lithium chemistries, LiFePO4 batteriescan operate at temperatures up to 65°C (150°F) and thermal runaway temperature is at a high 270°C
(518°F).

When abuse does occur, the phosphate based cathode material will not burn and is not prone to thermal runaway. Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible in the event of mishandling during charge or discharge, they are more stable under overcharge or short circuit conditions and they can withstand high temperatures without decomposing.

From the viewpoint of safety performance a LiFePO4 battery is similar to a lead-acid battery.

Do you have any LiFePO4 battery studies you wish to share?! List them below!

Last edited:
LiFePO4 is VERY different than NCA and NCM lithium batteries..

I find misinformation floating around the internet nearly everyday. People claim LiFePO4 can combust, or do not understand how it can handle overcharging etc.

Well guess what! I found a nice, easy to read article published by a reputable company on the safety and general charateristics of LiFePO4 that everyone should be well aware of:

A short excerpt:

LiFePO4 is an intrinsically safer cathode material than cobalt oxide or manganeseoxide cathode. Technically speaking, the fully “lithiated” and “unlithiated” states of LiFePO4
are physically similar,
which means it’s structurally stable. The iron phosphate oxide bond is stronger than the cobalt oxide bond, so when it is
subjected to overcharge it maintains its physical structure, while other lithium chemistries expand producing excessive heat, which leads to thermal runaway.

LiFePO4 chemistry is highly robust during the oxygen loss that accompanies the charge cycle, thereby significantly reducingt the exothermic reaction that is associated with other lithium chemistries. The heat produced by the chemical reaction in a LiFePO4 battery during overcharge is only 5.5% of the heat that is produced by a lithium cobalt chemistry. Unlike other lithium chemistries, LiFePO4 batteriescan operate at temperatures up to 65°C (150°F) and thermal runaway temperature is at a high 270°C
(518°F).

When abuse does occur, the phosphate based cathode material will not burn and is not prone to thermal runaway. Lithium phosphate cells are incombustible in the event of mishandling during charge or discharge, they are more stable under overcharge or short circuit conditions and they can withstand high temperatures without decomposing.

From the viewpoint of safety performance a LiFePO4 battery is similar to a lead-acid battery.

Do you have any LiFePO4 battery studies you wish to share?! List them below!

As the daughter of a master electrician, thank you, Will, for your dedication to research and helping those of us less technically-minded? I just celebrated my 71st birthday about 2 weeks ago, and am looking at full-time, off-grid van life for my 5 cats and me as a solution to the burgeoning cost of rentals in the Orlando metro area. I think I will invest in at least two of the Ruixu LiFePO4 batteries you tested in one of your more recent blogs. My only problem is that I currently drive a 2010 transit connect, Which I realized after purchasing it is entirely too small for my application! But, because I am being forced to vacate my 19 year apartment home due to escalating rental costs, and must be out in the next 2 days, I will just have to make do until I can find a larger van and someone to do my build out.

Back