diy solar

diy solar

LiFePo4 Starter Batteries

Riche2k

Hello,
I have 2 identical AGM batteries,Odyssey Extremes, in my Tacoma TRD Off Road. I want to replace one of them with a LiFePo4 to use as the house battery/backup starter battery. Dakota Lithium has a “dual purpose” battery that would do the job except it does not recommend using with alternator output >80 amps. My Tacoma puts out 130amps.
I would like a battery with at least 100 AH capacity and handle the higher amp output of my alternator.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

Take a look at Cyclenbatt.com. I'm using 2 of their 50Ah automotive starting batteries in my Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins 5.9L turbo diesel. Been about a year, so far so good.

So it looks like the best way to attack this is by using a DC DC charger, or one with MPPT to allow solar charging too. This brings another question in mind. Does a DC DC charger provide a way to cross connect the batteries so I can use the house battery to jump my starter battery? Or would I need to use jumper cables between house and start? Would I need to disconnect the DC DC charger if I use jumper cables?
Hope someone out there can answer. It seems this should be a common question but I can’t find an answer to this anywhere.

So it looks like the best way to attack this is by using a DC DC charger, or one with MPPT to allow solar charging too. This brings another question in mind. Does a DC DC charger provide a way to cross connect the batteries so I can use the house battery to jump my starter battery? Or would I need to use jumper cables between house and start? Would I need to disconnect the DC DC charger if I use jumper cables?
Hope someone out there can answer. It seems this should be a common question but I can’t find an answer to this anywhere.
A little late but Renogy makes a bi directional 60amp dc-dc charger.

Back