diy solar

diy solar

LiFePO4 what they leak and why they should be installed upright

To be clear the Lishen cells in that pack are 170ah cells. And Big Battery claims Lishen told them mounting the cells on their side was ok.

No doubt about it. However there are some with tight spaces that can't keep them upright and so they mount them to fit the space they have. They should be checking with the manufacturer to find out if that's ok. But even though the 272ah Lishen spec sheet says to keep the cells upright it has been ignored by another forum member.

I am not sure if the recommendation is to keep the electrolyte even around the jelly roll. Or if it's concern about leakage from the cell. But whatever the reason, not following the spec sheet is asking for trouble.
And even though the 170 ah spec sheet (supposedly, I have not looked for myself) does not stipulate the need to be upright, I would wonder, given my knowledge of so many other spec sheets (especially if this is the industry or business I am in), if it not being mentioned in the spec sheet is an oversight, and I would reach out to mfg (also apparently done). If still told “no it’s ok” I would wonder. The chemistry isn’t different. How do I make sure something wasn’t lost in translation? How about follow-up questions? For instance, since this is the same chemistry, why can this one be installed in other orientation as opposed to the mfg’s other cells? I wouldn’t risk my business or reputation on a simple yes, without further qualifying information. This company needs to keep learning from its mistakes if it wants to survive, not fight about them.

maybe its easy to call them out after the fact, but the bottom line is this is dangerous stuff. Strict safety ideology should be applied.

We don't know what caused the cells to leak. We do know the leaks reported apply only to the 170ah Lishen cells. Tens of thousands of LFE prismatic cells have been purchased by DIY's purchased from China, shipped on boats, mis handled and so on and so forth with zero reports of leakage. The only reports I have been able to find of any prismatic cell leakage, and has been confirmed, are Will's and the cells Big Battery claims to have found leaking.

Regarding why one manufacturer claims side orientation is ok and another doesn't, who knows? Maybe the vents are constructed differently, or maybe it has to do with electrolyte coverage of the jelly roll. But in the end a cell should not leak, even if held upside down.

Back