diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 with -25c to 85c operating range?

I ran into a local brand that is spruking a very wide temperature operating window.

-25c to 85c.

(-13f to 185f)

They promote them for under bonnet use.

Any theories on how they are making this work?

Jimmy

So with them wanting $1024 USD for a 12V 80aH battery and NOT including any type of datasheet I am going to take a guess at this ...

Going to say that this is designed as a CCA / cranking battery and not a storage battery .... so odds are it has an internal heater that keeps the battery warm (powered from either the charger or from itself) and then once the engine is cranked - uses the alternator to charge the battery and continue to power the heater to keep it warm ...

OR - and this is highly doubtful - but its a LiFeYPO4 battery and not LiFePO4 ... The LiFeYPO4 has additional Yttrium at the cathode cells to speed up electron transfer especially at cold temperatures.

OR they are just making shit up ... LOL

So with them wanting $1024 USD for a 12V 80aH battery and NOT including any type of datasheet I am going to take a guess at this ...

Going to say that this is designed as a CCA / cranking battery and not a storage battery .... so odds are it has an internal heater that keeps the battery warm (powered from either the charger or from itself) and then once the engine is cranked - uses the alternator to charge the battery and continue to power the heater to keep it warm ...

OR - and this is highly doubtful - but its a LiFeYPO4 battery and not LiFePO4 ... The LiFeYPO4 has additional Yttrium at the cathode cells to speed up electron transfer especially at cold temperatures.

Do you have any idea what the lower limit chargine temperature is for LiFeYPO4? I know there is no black or white number, but I'm looking for the equivalent of LFP's 0c/32f limit. I haven't been able to find any mention in WInston's datatsheets.

Do you have any idea what the lower limit chargine temperature is for LiFeYPO4? I know there is no black or white number, but I'm looking for the equivalent of LFP's 0c/32f limit. I haven't been able to find any mention in WInston's datatsheets.

I do NOT know and i can send a message to the guys up north (Yukon and Nome) to see what they say ... here in S. Texas we don't have any at all ... mainly because the only real reason is the TEMPs rarely get cold enough to worry about .. and the cost ... I do know though that one of the techs was saying that the "Y's get twice the cycle life (easily) as the LFPs ... they are expecting 6000-8000 cycles ... it has something to do not only wiht the chemistry but the voltage setting ..

Reactions: Dzl
I do NOT know and i can send a message to the guys up north (Yukon and Nome) to see what they say ... here in S. Texas we don't have any at all ... mainly because the only real reason is the TEMPs rarely get cold enough to worry about .. and the cost ... I do know though that one of the techs was saying that the "Y's get twice the cycle life (easily) as the LFPs ... they are expecting 6000-8000 cycles ... it has something to do not only wiht the chemistry but the voltage setting ..

Wow, well if those cycle life specs are true, the added cost might be well worth it for some, especially if there is a meaningful difference in safe low temp charging limit.

My guess would be, they have the BMS set to disallow charging until the engine temp has warmed the battery... ?

Back