diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 24v and MPP Solar LV2424 issue

Scott Martinez

Hi, I received one of two of the long back ordered Signature Solar EG4 24v batteries. When I replaced the lead acid batteries with the new battery to my MPP LV2424, it starts to fire up, then shuts down right away. I hear a little tick, tick, tick noise until I breaker off the battery. The batteries SOC is 50% by the look of the LED. When not connected in, it measures 26.4v resting, so wondering if it's an over-voltage issue? The battery will show an error depending on if I throw the breaker and shut down, or stay on if I throw the DC inline switch that connects to the LV2424 DC input. The unit didn't get smoked and works perfectly normal when I connect up the old battery bank. Thanks for any help or ideas you might have.

So what Voltage do you get when you measure at the LV2424 Battery terminals when you hear the ticking noise?
Dose the display also go on and off in sync with the clicking?
Did you set the battery type to 'USER' and also turn off the Equalization?
What are the parameter settings of the 2424?

Just checked and the voltage measures about 1.5v when I breaker on direct from the battery. When I turn on the battery, then the in-line switch, the battery indicator shows "alarm" then passes 0 volts.
The display stays off during the rapid tick noise.
I am in user mode and have float and bulk to 28.2v, and cutoff at 22 volts per the battery specs.

I wonder if the BMS may have been tripped when you hook up the battery to the 2424 due to inrush current when the capacitor banks inside the 2424 are being charged up.

I wonder if the BMS may have been tripped when you hook up the battery to the 2424 due to inrush current when the capacitor banks inside the 2424 are being charged up.
Maybe? I wouldn't think so since I immediately disconnected the lead acid bank and then quickly hooked up the EG4. Should I try at add the battery in parallel with the flooded set temporarily to test?

I think right now yo need to wake up the BMS, then try using 24V load, I.E. using two 12V car lamps in series to see if they will light up when connected to the EG4.

Update: I decided to log into the BMS from a laptop to check the status of the battery. Everything looked normal. I breakered it off, disconnected the lead acid bank, reconnected the EG4, turned it on, and it started charging normally. I was pulling from the grid and maybe a amp of solar (30 total), but it seems to be charging normally now. The LV2424 stayed on while I was I did the change over I'm guessing because of solar and grid feed, so the capacitor in-rush is my guess. I ordered a resistor to pre-charge since I guess I couldn't make the change fast enough to keep the caps charged enough. Good for now! :)

I’m having the exact same issue. I’m moving from a 100ah lifepo4 battery to 200ah eg4 and the inverter shuts down every time and the battery ticks. The eg4 is at around 50% SOC. Really strange. Oh also, I’m using an mpp solar lv2424

I’m having the exact same issue. I’m moving from a 100ah lifepo4 battery to 200ah eg4 and the inverter shuts down every time and the battery ticks. The eg4 is at around 50% SOC. Really strange. Oh also, I’m using an mpp solar lv2424
My system went down day before yesterday. I did manage to pull a message of short circuit protection. Also both charging and discharging MOS switch off. I received a second battery and have the same issue, so I'm guessing it's an inverter issue that the BMS doesn't like. I was able to soft start the system with mid-day solar, inverters on (split phase so two LV2424), and pulling from the grid. While live, I disconnected the lead acid bank, patch in one of the batteries, turned on it's breaker, and it started charging and I was able to change the parameters. Maybe a Growwatt and a transformer might be in my future, or some other split phase inverter. For now, I patched up the lead acid bank. Let me know if you find out anything.

I am wondering if it has to do with the Pre Charge resistor in the EG4.
Maybe the LV2424 is looking for the right voltage before the EG4 has switched over from the Pre Charge resistor.
So the LV2424 might be seeing a low voltage and shutdown before the Pre Charge has finished and connected the batteries directly.

Signature has acknowledged that the batteries have a problem with the bms and resistor. Still waiting on a fix. Spent 7k+ on batteries that don't work and a rack that doesn't even properly secure the modules.

Signature has acknowledged that the batteries have a problem with the bms and resistor. Still waiting on a fix. Spent 7k+ on batteries that don't work and a rack that doesn't even properly secure the modules.
Can you elaborate? I was going to get a second DC switch to start my system on the lead acid bank in paralleled with and turn on the EG4's, the switch off the lead acid to see if the new bank will bypass pre-charge problem.

Can you elaborate? I was going to get a second DC switch to start my system on the lead acid bank in paralleled with and turn on the EG4's, the switch off the lead acid to see if the new bank will bypass pre-charge problem.

Yeah, basically I ordered 4 of the eg4 lifepower batteries and they won't start my inverter. After spending days troubleshooting and with the help of some very knowledgeable people here in this forum, Signature acknowledged that they made a change to the timing of the resistor and it's causing startup failures with some inverters (Schneider, Magnum, MPP). There is a lengthy thread in the off-grid inverters forum detailing all of this.

Btw, as part of my attempt to fix this issue, it was recommended here that I do just as you are suggesting. I asked tech at Signature if i could try this and they said no.

Last edited:
My system went down day before yesterday. I did manage to pull a message of short circuit protection. Also both charging and discharging MOS switch off. I received a second battery and have the same issue, so I'm guessing it's an inverter issue that the BMS doesn't like. I was able to soft start the system with mid-day solar, inverters on (split phase so two LV2424), and pulling from the grid. While live, I disconnected the lead acid bank, patch in one of the batteries, turned on it's breaker, and it started charging and I was able to change the parameters. Maybe a Growwatt and a transformer might be in my future, or some other split phase inverter. For now, I patched up the lead acid bank. Let me know if you find out anything.
Any idea what caused your system to go down? Lucky it didn't happen at night or you couldn't have used the scc.

One of my lifepower 4 batteries was off this morning with a solid red alarm light. The other three were fine. No communication hooked up between them. This was after working fine for several days.

Yeah, basically I ordered 4 of the eg4 lifepower batteries and they won't start my inverter. After spending days troubleshooting and with the help of some very knowledgeable people here in this forum, Signature acknowledged that they made a change to the timing of the resistor and it's causing startup failures with some inverters (Schneider, Magnum). There is a lengthy thread in the off-grid inverters forum detailing all of this.

Btw, as part of my attempt to fix this issue, it was recommended here that I do just as you are suggesting. I asked tech at Signature if i could try this and they said no.

I'll follow up with them. I didn't pull a code from the BMS at the time. I'm hoping for an easy fix. My eight T105 lead acid bank is at the end of it's life.

Any idea what caused your system to go down? Lucky it didn't happen at night or you couldn't have used the scc.

One of my lifepower 4 batteries was off this morning with a solid red alarm light. The other three were fine. No communication hooked up between them. This was after working fine for several days.
I don't have any idea. Sorry, what's the scc?

I see, my pip is an all in one, so no external controller. I am currently reading through the other thread...

Back