diy solar

diy solar

LiFePower4 Battery State of Health degradation...

SoH definition and implementation is up to the manufacturer. I have an Orion BMS. My SoH was dipping down quite a lot (by 10%+) ... as a result of high IR developing between the bus bars and cell terminals. Once I fixed that, my SoH has remained at 99% (450 cycles so far). From their site, this is what they define as SoH:

Typically this value is calculated based on observed capacity and nominal capacity (that is, a relationship between how much capacity is actually observed by the BMS and how much capacity the battery pack started off with when new) and the Internal Resistance of the pack.

I personally wouldn't pay attention to any SoH differences less than 1%. To really know, do a capacity test.

Not sure what to think with my issue. I thought 1 pack being 30% difference compared to the rest would indicate a bad battery. It started trending that way again, then over the last week, now I do NOT see an issue. SOC seems to be holding with the rest of the batteries. Maybe I'm looking at it too close, but hit the panic button when I saw the difference. Pack #2 was the suspect pack, now it seems to be fine. IDK...

1684111304864.png

SoH definition and implementation is up to the manufacturer. I have an Orion BMS. My SoH was dipping down quite a lot (by 10%+) ...

as a result of high IR developing between the bus bars and cell terminals. Once I fixed that,
Could you comment on how you determined you had high resistance developing between bus bars and cell terminals?

And how did you go about ‘fixing’ that?
my SoH has remained at 99% (450 cycles so far). From their site, this is what they define as SoH:

I personally wouldn't pay attention to any SoH differences less than 1%. To really know, do a capacity test.
I’m starting to plan for a new system which will push my 560W 8S2P LiFePO4 battery harder than it’s been pushed over it’s first 3 years.

Just looking at how much battery voltage drops when charge current or discharge current changes abruptly, I’m suspecting I may have some higher-than-ideal resistance between bus bars and aluminum cell terminals.

So I’m in the market for any advice regarding how to determine which connections may need improving and best practices to do so…

Possibly toward the end, below 50% for example.
Even though it is a different chemistry, my experience with EV batteries is that there is a steep initial degradation of 5-10% in the first year, then they plateau off for the next seven or eight. That is the longest I have owned an EV. I am still using some ten year old Nissan Leaf modules that still have 60-70% of capacity but I have no knowledge of their prior ownership,
So a 280Ah cell might drop to 252-266Ah after year one but should then remain close to that for the next few years?

I’m 3 years in and planning to tune up my battery as appropriate this winter, so interested in any advice for how to do so…

So a 280Ah cell might drop to 252-266Ah after year one but should then remain close to that for the next few years?

I’m 3 years in and planning to tune up my battery as appropriate this winter, so interested in any advice for how to do so…

Different chemistries with different curves and usage characteristics altogether. I wouldn't compare.

1 year into my system (280Ah LFP cells), I tested to 99% of my original capacity.

Could you comment on how you determined you had high resistance developing between bus bars and cell terminals?

And how did you go about ‘fixing’ that?

The BMS made it obvious in several ways ... 1) it shows the calculated IRs of each cell and they were climbing at different rates, 2) it reports State of Health and it was degrading (due to IR), and 3) the voltage graphs of each cell were varying more and more wildly during charge and discharge. Once I re-did all the cell connections, the graphs/values returned to normal. In my case, the cause was having solid busbars connecting cells that are in a spring-compression fixture.

I’m starting to plan for a new system which will push my 560W 8S2P LiFePO4 battery harder than it’s been pushed over it’s first 3 years.

Just looking at how much battery voltage drops when charge current or discharge current changes abruptly, I’m suspecting I may have some higher-than-ideal resistance between bus bars and aluminum cell terminals.

So I’m in the market for any advice regarding how to determine which connections may need improving and best practices to do so…

Without a baseline it's hard to know. Many variables (cells, busbars, terminal type, clamping force, fuse, wiring, BMS, etc). If you're unsure, re-do the connections -- clean the busbars and terminals (plenty of threads here on that) and immediately reconnect and test. Make that your baseline if it's any different than the numbers you're getting now.
It's not unexpected to see a decent voltage difference between charge and discharge even inside the flat area of the charge curve especially depending on where you're measuring.

Back