diy solar

diy solar

Lifepower4 (EG-4) rack battery positive user experiences

Subdood

Photon Wrangler
Hey all, I am still in the process of designing our DIY solar system. I was looking at installing one or two of Signature Solar's EG-4 48V Lifepower4 rack batteries to go with one of the EG-4 6500 inverters. I haven't been on here very long, maybe a month or so, but have seen several complaints about this rack battery. While these folks' issues are very relevant, I was wondering about the other end of the spectrum. Those who don't have problems don't tend to post about them.

These batteries are not cheap and I wanted to be sure that I'm getting a reliable and easy to use product. So, I wanted to hear from those who have bought these particular models, the 12, 24 and 48V ones with no display, and have had positive experiences with them.

I'm not trying to prop up SS or bash them, I just wanted to know about people's positive experiences with these batteries.

Thanks.

I have 6 of them running a Magnum 4448 with no problems So far. I’m helping a friend setup a 7kw system and he‘s buying them also.

Many of the eg4 LiFePower4 issues appear to be with the bms. As of yet, I have not seen a fix. With a 6500, at a minimum two batteries. The more the merrier. I have four of the LiFePower4 on a 6k Growatt, and other than the newer pair tends to charge/discharge at a different rate than the older pair, no issues. Do all versions of the LiFePower4 use the same bms?

Many of the eg4 LiFePower4 issues appear to be with the bms. As of yet, I have not seen a fix. With a 6500, at a minimum two batteries. The more the merrier. I have four of the LiFePower4 on a 6k Growatt, and other than the newer pair tends to charge/discharge at a different rate than the older pair, no issues. Do all versions of the LiFePower4 use the same bms?
Thanks.

I don't know about the BMS. I've read some folks have replaced it with an Overkill BMS and it seems to be working okay. I don't want to have to do anything like that, tho, and void the warranty.

I'm looking on picking one up at their facility next week while we will be in Texas visiting, and am a bit concerned about these issues.

From what I've gathered on here is that the LL versions (with the display) don't seem to have as many problems. But I could be mistaken. Maybe the LL uses a different BMS??

I saw a YouTube vid from SS on a fix for the error 61 code between the inverter and the Lifepower batts. Apparently it's a cable wiring issue.

A few questions if you don't mind. Is your Growatt the split phase inverter? Is it the MPV version? How long has it been running and what do you think of it so far? What kind of PV input do you have?

IIRC, the bms is different from the basic LiFePower4 to the more expensive LL version with the lcd screen. I recall a post stating that there have been four different bms versions in the basic LiFePower4 batteries. True or not, I do not know.

Error 61 is supposed to be a cabling issue, but that is a different animal than the battery alarming out when trying to power up an inverter. It sounds as if you have found some of the posts pertaining to the battery shutdown issue. IIRC, SigSolar may keep the warranty in place if you replace their bms with one of their approved bms. Check with them while you are there.

I am using the Growatt spf6000t dvm. It is a low freq split phase aio and it's been running since February. The battery bank is only 20kwh and since neither Signature Solar, nor Growatt, will provide documentation to safely connect it to the grid, it is an off grid only item. Because of not having a grid backup and a small battery bank, the pv array is arranged for a longer spread of power production vs max power generation, ie; 12panels face West, 9panels face East in strings of three. Each panel is 250w(21)=5250w. This helps to stretch' the batteries usefulness. In full sun, the fans are loud. It might be ok in a garage, not in a house. The unit powers the shop, so not worried about the noise.

Since it appears you are in the research phase, dig into the issues with n/g bonding and the proper wiring for whatever units you are considering. IMO, that is a big issue with these 'cheaper' products.

IIRC, the bms is different from the basic LiFePower4 to the more expensive LL version with the lcd screen. I recall a post stating that there have been four different bms versions in the basic LiFePower4 batteries. True or not, I do not know.

Error 61 is supposed to be a cabling issue, but that is a different animal than the battery alarming out when trying to power up an inverter. It sounds as if you have found some of the posts pertaining to the battery shutdown issue. IIRC, SigSolar may keep the warranty in place if you replace their bms with one of their approved bms. Check with them while you are there.

I am using the Growatt spf6000t dvm. It is a low freq split phase aio and it's been running since February. The battery bank is only 20kwh and since neither Signature Solar, nor Growatt, will provide documentation to safely connect it to the grid, it is an off grid only item. Because of not having a grid backup and a small battery bank, the pv array is arranged for a longer spread of power production vs max power generation, ie; 12panels face West, 9panels face East in strings of three. Each panel is 250w(21)=5250w. This helps to stretch' the batteries usefulness. In full sun, the fans are loud. It might be ok in a garage, not in a house. The unit powers the shop, so not worried about the noise.

Since it appears you are in the research phase, dig into the issues with n/g bonding and the proper wiring for whatever units you are considering. IMO, that is a big issue with these 'cheaper' products.
Thanks.

I'm looking at a similar sized array along with one, maybe two of the Lifepower batts, and the 6500 inverter to power up the 120V devices in our home via a critical loads sub panel. I will be using the grid in bypass mode in the case of deficient batt or PV power.

I've posted questions about n/g issues in the EG4 6500 thread. I think I have a good handle on what I need to do. Apparently I'll have to switch the neutrals to the crit panel as well as the hots.

I haven't read about SS approving a BMS substitute, but yeah, I'll ask about it when we get there.

Thanks.

I'm looking at a similar sized array along with one, maybe two of the Lifepower batts, and the 6500 inverter to power up the 120V devices in our home via a critical loads sub panel. I will be using the grid in bypass mode in the case of deficient batt or PV power.

I've posted questions about n/g issues in the EG4 6500 thread. I think I have a good handle on what I need to do. Apparently I'll have to switch the neutrals to the crit panel as well as the hots.

I haven't read about SS approving a BMS substitute, but yeah, I'll ask about it when we get there.
I believe one member somewhere far far away from Signature Solar on the planet was having issues. Instead of mailing batteries back and forth SS just mailed them some aftermarket BMS’s. I guess it worked. i think the story is buried in a non related long 50+ page thread.

My 2 cents... growatt 8000mpv dmv, 6 lif4 non display wired from a breaker to hot1 hot2 and Earthed lug on main earth. No stray voltage, no voltage on grounding wire (.03 + -) same as main or anywhere else. The batteries are good for me.
I use about 15k per day. Pv array 9200w at 168 volts coming in. System works well.

My 2 cents... growatt 8000mpv dmv, 6 lif4 non display wired from a breaker to hot1 hot2 and Earthed lug on main earth. No stray voltage, no voltage on grounding wire (.03 + -) same as main or anywhere else. The batteries are good for me.
I use about 15k per day. Pv array 9200w at 168 volts coming in. System works well.
Is that in inverter mode, or grid bypass mode?

Aaaaa, inverter mode, but if the batteries go to low voltage the inverter will transfer to bypass. I have checked grounding- ground wires a thousand times in every setting and use I can think of..... well, not an intentional "fault".
I'm not trying to cause a debate on grounding. There are too many opinions and false info. Just stating what I have and I'm happy! Sbu mode

Maybe this model does not alter n/g bonding when switching from inverter to grid bypass mode?

I don't want to make a statement either way, as I have not broken the seal on the inverter yet. Even with a firm grasp of neutral and earthing and equipment grounding, I don't "KNOW" how the inverter does the internal bypass/passthrough. I just know there is NO current on the ground wire(s)

Back