diy solar

diy solar

Light Switch Replacements

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
In our household I'm the one that comes along after family members and turns the light switches off that they've left on. Every watt saved is one less solar needs to generate.

Although, I don't always catch them. For example, an outdoor fan was running for somewhere between 2 to 4 days just the other day because I hadn't wandered by in that amount of time. Now that I think about it, I have this problem more with ceiling fans than anything else.

Anyway, it occurred to me I could stop being annoyed with precious loved ones by simply changing a few light switches. Perhaps something on a timer or via WiFi, a motion sensor, or something as simple as "Alexa, turn all the switches off". I've used and like smart plugs, but I want something that directly replaces the light switch as all of the devices I want to turn off don't have plugs.

So, what do you think/recommend?
  • Any device bodies that aren't over-sized so they easily fit into a wall box.
  • What devices have you used that you like (or didn't like!)
  • How many devices are too many before it slows down the WiFi (is 45 devices the best rule of thumb, or would these not count)? Is there something better than WiFi? Stick to a timer?
1583418357415.png

Last edited:
I was going to add IoT SmartPlugs from Samsung which also hav energy usage monitoring & logging but then realized quickly afterwards that you must have active internet access for this stuff to work, so not an option where I turn off the satellite modem and such to conserve power. Then when attempting to install their software app on my phone, I discovered it wants full access to everything.. GPS, Photo's, Browser History, Address book & more ! FOR WHAT ! What an invasion of privacy for using a piece of crap app....

Since that adventure, I discovered that ZIGBY devices have more option s& potentials and there is a way to use Zigby devices with out internet access on AND you do not have to give up all your info either. Be very careful with IoT devices and the apps wrapped around them. I have not bothered to work o the off-grid / un-connected solution as yet, as that is another project in the Job Jar that will be gotten around to in the fullness of time.

I have used Insteon stuff...
A single smart switch can control several devices... no internet needed, computerized, via Bluetooth, or can manually program with buttons on the switches...

I use a raspberry pi program called HomeAssistant with a variety of devices, lots of switches and wifi outlets controlled by MQQT. One glance at the web page and I can see what's on and what's not on. Also I can Alexa "Do this or do that" everything.Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 1.04.46 PM.png

One more thing. You can set automations. For example when I open the laundry room door a motion sensor turns on the light for 4 minutes. Likewise with the garage. Pantry light stays on for one minute. Outside lights come on 30 mins after sunset and shut off at sunrise.

Last edited:
I use a raspberry pi program called HomeAssistant with a variety of devices, lots of switches and wifi outlets controlled by MQQT. One glance at the web page and I can see what's on and what's not on. Also I can Alexa "Do this or do that" everything.View attachment 8581
Man, your crackpipe is off... get that thing going!

I don’t wanna know about the foreplay outlet... I assume that receptacle is user friendly?

This is CrackPipe.

Bottlehead CRACK with a Raspberry PI under the hood. Also hooked an LCD up and have a script file that gets track name and info from the inter webs.

crackpipe.jpg

I don’t wanna know about the foreplay outlet... I assume that receptacle is user friendly?
I get that a lot when I show my home automation. That is a Bottlehead Tube Preamplifier kit called the Foreplay 3. I'm into tube audio and the Bottlehead kits are the shiznit.

Fans that are wired through can be controlled with an on/off switch, or something like this. According to the SmartThings forum, this expensive switch that is powered via a 9V battery that can be used to remotely control RF controlled fans. But for RF controlled fans, since I have an rtl_sdr dongle, might there be a better way? Started a thread to investigate that.

Back