diy solar

diy solar

Lightning Protection

Steve777

So I am revisiting the lightning/surge protection on my two ground mounts, hoping to upgrade it. Fairly typical setup, two identical ground pole mount arrays, electrically tied together in parallel for the DC output. The panels and frame have a 6ga solid copper ground conductors which go to ground rods (actually 2 rods per pole a couple of feet apart tied together). The electrical ground from the combiner boxes also go to these ground rods via separate copper conductors. From my discussions with ham radio antenna people (who are used to dealing with lightning), this wiring provides a clear path from the panel frames/mounts to the ground rods without going thru the DC wiring boxes; supposedly an improvement over tying all the grounds together in the combiner box and then to the ground rods. Although from the DC electrical side it is equivalent.

The question I have is where to place some new Midnite surge arrestors for best protection. There are some older (~20 yr old) Delta surge protectors in the combiner boxes already, one on each pole. I could replace the old ones with the new Midnite ones, my original thought. Or someone suggested that I leave those old ones in place (they seem to be working), and put a new protector down at the breaker box by the MPPT charge controller. The theory here is that the panels with their larger junctions would likely survive most surges (and they do have some protection already), but the MPPT and inverter electronics would be more likely to sustain damage so protection closer to them would be more beneficial.

I am curious to get folks here thoughts on this. What would be the best way to install these surge protectors, and of course is there something else I could do too.

TIA

Two comments about the old surge protection.

Many surge protectors are designed to have a finite service life.
“x” number of strikes and they are no longer able to provide the original level of protection.

Modern suppressors like the Midnite have technology that handles energy better.
Old tech may not have components like Silicon Avalanche Suppression Diodes, for example.

I would replace any surge supression that is over 5 years old, if it does not have an LED indicating if it is still working or not.

I had a helpful response from Midnite Solar tech support when I inquired as to the best practice for installing my MNSPD600, so you might try that.

I have suffered two lightning strikes since 2018. The first was under warranty, but now I am on my own. I just found out one of my neighbors was struck was well. I've decided to pay attention and get proactive.

I wonder how useful a surge device really is. I recall sticking them on inverters many years ago. It was standard to put them across the three phase inputs on motor drives. I'm fairly certain there were UL/CSA/ETL directives. GE MOVs is what we used. Sebald Korn told us to :) I wondered it they actually did much to protect the drives.

Are the old MOVs still what are usually used? Are there other devices worth looking at?

thanks

We get lots of lightning here (central Florida).
Decades ago, a strike destroyed all the phones, tv’s, computers, microwave.
Motivation!

I put this is on the service entrance:

This is on the breaker panel, it also protects the cable & phone line.

I implemented UL 1449, which is three layers of protection, one @ the service entrance, second at the panel, third at the device.

Surge protection is only as good as the grounding system.
If the grounds are crap, the surge suppression system has no path to divert the excess energy to.
So I worked on the grounding system, taking notes from Motorola R-56 specifications.

35 years later and lots of strikes, all I have had to replace is toasted surge suppressors - they did their job—

We get lots of lightning here (central Florida).
Decades ago, a strike destroyed all the phones, tv’s, computers, microwave.
Motivation!

I put this is on the service entrance:

This is on the breaker panel, it also protects the cable & phone line.

I implemented UL 1449, which is three layers of protection, one @ the service entrance, second at the panel, third at the device.

Surge protection is only as good as the grounding system.
If the grounds are crap, the surge suppression system has no path to divert the excess energy to.
So I worked on the grounding system, taking notes from Motorola R-56 specifications.

35 years later and lots of strikes, all I have had to replace is toasted surge suppressors - they did their job—
Thanks so much - this is great intel. Back in the 70s I worked for Parametrics (Became ABB drives) I recall we had lots of problems with drives failing in Florida with lightning strikes.

Being in an extremely high risk lightning area and having lost equipment due to it I did the following. To divert the strike I erected a 10mv / 50' mast with an arrestor on top, connected with heavy gauge bare copper connected to 5m ground rod. This improves the likelihood of where a direct strike will occur, it's positioned to include the array in its shadow, an area within 45° from the highest point.

For surge protection I consulted a manufacturer for appropriate devices, they needed the maximum voltage of all circuits, the SPD's they supplied had clamping voltages 10% greater than the maximum allowable. The inverter output, 230V is likewise protected, all ground wires need to be as straight, short and direct to ground and of sufficient gauge to prevent jumping to a more suitable path.

Many solar suppliers have SPD's designed for higher voltage strings, usually 600-1000 V clamping, these will do little to protect a controller which allows 150 for example use the appropriate clamping voltage.

Since installation ~4 years ago the mast has been hit multiple times, a single DC SPD expired but no damage to any devices . Some other things to avoid are overhead and coils of wire, if too long cut the excess off, these act like antennas which can generate spikes due to EMP even from a nearby strike.

No amount of protection will be 100% effective especially with a direct strike, a single storm here can have 20 ground strikes within a 500 m radius a common belief is a mast arrestor will attract lightning, not true, it simply offers a favorable path to what would occur without it, only it may be a home, array, tree or the ground.

Back