diy solar

diy solar

LiitoKala = fire hazard

conquistador

Today I checked my little system and found battery electrolyte leaking. One LiitoKala cell which was already damaged when I received it, was leaking.
This is a potential fire hazard, as the cell might lose all electrolyte and become hot while still charging. Thermal runway, and fire could result.
In the picture "cells-1july" you can see that cell1 was charging much faster than all other cells and discharging much faster too. My charging was always below 10A and usage never more than 6-7A.
This post is to warn all buyers not to be naive like me when buying on Aliexpress. I bought from 2 different shops with LiitoKala in the name and both times I received bloated G-grade (garbage) cells. If you have not the money to buy good cells, stay with your Lead-Acid or save until you can buy from trustworthy sellers. For a few hundred $ € ...difference, you do not want to risk fire, not even outside of your house.
I have now also disconnected my other LiitoKala battery, because it's just too risky to run g-grade cells.

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_160206.jpg
    IMG_20220703_160206.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220703_160221.jpg
    IMG_20220703_160221.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220703_153503.jpg
    IMG_20220703_153503.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 135
  • liitokala-order1.png
    liitokala-order1.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 130
  • cells-1july.png
    cells-1july.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Are those pictures as received or after put in service? No way would I assemble cells looking like that.

I have some cells from Liitokala but they sure don't look like that.

These are pictures from yesterday after I discovered the leak. When I received the cells, there was a little corrosion and I though it might be ok - but it was not.
Here is how they looked when delivered and the box they were in.

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_131226.jpg
    IMG_20211230_131226.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20211230_131146.jpg
    IMG_20211230_131146.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20211230_131151.jpg
    IMG_20211230_131151.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 83
The aluminum on the damaged outside area of the cell was corroded already when you got it.
Unless my eyes are deceiving me it was pitted already. You should have dumped it instead of using it.

A LiFePO4 cell will never experience thermal runaway.
I hope you are right with this statement. However pictures here in the forum suggest the opposite where single cells out of a pack have burned completely. I cannot speak about the reasons and I have not experienced it myself nor seen it, but I fear it.
And yes, you are right, the leaking cell should never have been put into service again. But it should not have been sold in the first place. Therefore this thread to warn others buying from sources selling G-grade cells.

I hope you are right with this statement. However pictures here in the forum suggest the opposite where single cells out of a pack have burned completely.
I think you misunderstand what a thermal runaway is. That is not a thermal runaway.

That was a single cell arcing and melting out because of a short due to poor battery design. The rest of the battery cells were still holding a charge afterwards!

Well, LiitoKala (sound suspiciously Finnish for a Chinese brand ;·) hasn't exactly got a stellar reputation to start with, has it.
-

Once again never buy cells on aliexpress, plus liitokal is known to sells used cells

Brought "Know to be faked" product on two different AliExpress stores?

Almost guarantee you got fake Liitokala.
Never buy products from another store than the official store of that specific product (And hope you actually found the real official store).

There is no more than one official store for a product brand usually, two stores would then mean that one of them sold you fake product for sure while the other one maybe (I don't know where you brought them)

Brought "Know to be faked" product on two different AliExpress stores?

Almost guarantee you got fake Liitokala.
Never buy products from another store than the official store of that specific product (And hope you actually found the real official store).

There is no more than one official store for a product brand usually, two stores would then mean that one of them sold you fake product for sure while the other one maybe (I don't know where you brought them)
Yeah sure official official store LOL
If you check my order screenshot, it says there Liitokala official store. How more official can it be?
There are a number of official stores for every product. Every seller can name his store what he wants - as long as it does not disturb the communist party of China of course.

I think you misunderstand what a thermal runaway is. That is not a thermal runaway.

That was a single cell arcing and melting out because of a short due to poor battery design. The rest of the battery cells were still holding a charge afterwards!
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong there. The only thing I saw was that one or a couple of cells only burned, while others in the pack stayed more or less ok in the circumstances.

Yeah sure official official store LOL
If you check my order screenshot, it says there Liitokala official store. How more official can it be?
There are a number of official stores for every product. Every seller can name his store what he wants - as long as it does not disturb the communist party of China of course.
It doesn't matter serious vendors don't cells on AliExpress.

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong there. The only thing I saw was that one or a couple of cells only burned, while others in the pack stayed more or less ok in the circumstances.
that was because any cell more positive then the dead short didn't see the high current

did you have your cells in a mobile application.. looks like rub post assembly. Screenshot_20220705-121140_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220705-121240_Chrome.jpg

did you have your cells in a mobile application.. looks like rub post assembly.
No definitely not. The battery can be moved but for the last 3 months, it just sat under my inverter and nobody moves it. I sit beside it during the day and sometimes I measure the current with a clamp Ampere meter.
And each cell is separated from the others by a 2mm foam insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_174932.jpg
    IMG_20220506_174932.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220703_154121.jpg
    IMG_20220703_154121.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220703_154129.jpg
    IMG_20220703_154129.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 40
My first two orders of 4 and 16 ea were from Liitokala and Sanben on AliExpress. Both under cap and swollen junk. Then from Amy and Hayley. 95% of the 128 cells were good cells that remain in balance and don't ov while charging at 55.7V. Buy 10% more of everything solar and you'll be good.

No definitely not. The battery can be moved but for the last 3 months, it just sat under my inverter and nobody moves it. I sit beside it during the day and sometimes I measure the current with a clamp Ampere meter.
And each cell is separated from the others by a 2mm foam insulation.
this was scraped off from the outside.. and your system offers zero protection from being hit unless they came with the heat shrink and layers beneath scraped off.. do you have pictures of this damage when unboxed new? Screenshot_20220705-154948_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220705-155008_Chrome.jpg

Back