diy solar

diy solar

LiitoKala = fire hazard

do you have pictures of this damage when unboxed new?
Yes, you reposted them yourself in #16
the last 3 pictures you can see the cell new and the cardboard box with the white oxide particles inside. That's how they arrived. I thought it's outside oxidation, but this must have been a micro crack in the aluminum.
I scratched the white stuff off and put the red paint over it. That was like 7-8 months ago.

I hope you raised a dispute and got a refund on those cells when you received them. Physically damaged cells arriving with a voltage below min discharge level are fit only for the bin.

Sorry to hear of your trouble and good that you want to warn others (y)

The aluminum on the damaged outside area of the cell was corroded already when you got it.
Unless my eyes are deceiving me it was pitted already. You should have dumped it instead of using it.
Not necessarily but i would have put some anticorrosion protection on it.

i would have put some anticorrosion protection on it.
I tried this by sanding the spot first and putting the red paint as you can see, but it was hopeless, as the corrosion came from inside the cell to outside. There must have been a micro crack where the electrolyte came out.

I tried this by sanding the spot first and putting the red paint as you can see, but it was hopeless, as the corrosion came from inside the cell to outside. There must have been a micro crack where the electrolyte came out.
Hooo i see, you are certainly right... maybe try to stop the leak if only a small amount of electrolyte as gone .....

A LiFePO4 cell will never experience thermal runaway. It's just not possible for that chemistry.

But leaking electrolyte is NOT good.

That cell was physically damaged when you put it into service. It should never have been put into service.
And...
I get beat up CONSTANTLY about LiFeP04 chemestry (charge density argiments) but then again I have used the press to run bolts through cells, shot them with a firearm, never once got a runaway from LiFeP04.

I also got crap on this forum about building in fire control when I built the last evolution of my system. C02 or Argon (cheap, commonly available) directly into the battery box...

Until you actually see how furious some batteries burn, and how hard they are to extinguish most people don't get the point...

I also got crap on this forum about building in fire control when I built the last evolution of my system. C02 or Argon (cheap, commonly available) directly into the battery box...
Fully agree. Whoever has seen CO2 on a hot fire, will discard this option completely, it would just be a joke on a burning battery.

I have never seen a burning LiFePo4 myself, but there are some scary pix here in the forum, and they are certainly not fakes.

Back