diy solar

diy solar

liitokala Official Store

my mistake, I thought your pictures display dented cells, inspect them, if you are happy and move on, if you did not get what you paid for, dispute with CC.
There's a very small dent in one edge. I don't think it will affect the cell performance or longevity. It is apparent that it was dented before being packed, given the packing material used.

I'll see how these do once top-balanced and discharged but I suspect they aren't terribly well matched. All 4 arrived within 1mV of each other, but upon top-balancing in 12V series two of the cells hit 3.65V limit while the other two were more than 130mV less. I'm going to balance in parallel now that they're close. Resting state I'm seeing 3.558V, 3.554V, 3.441V, and 3.443V. I'm hoping these two low cells were just not quite as charged and will top out as expected once I balance in parallel now that they're close.

Honestly my two biggest complaints are:
  1. The cells are clearly rated at 271Ah by CATL. Even if they will produce 280Ah, it's deceptive. That said I totally expected these kind of shenanigans.
  2. Why are there 5 different sets of specs out there for CATL 271Ah batteries? Even the LiitoKala specs on the AliExpress site don't match. This bugs me since I want to be sure the set the right parameters in my BMS for charge/discharge temp cutoffs, but I've seen everywhere from 45 to 60C shown for both charge and discharge high points, and anywhere from 0 to -30C for low points (including some -5C and -20C specs for charging!)

#1 = bait and switch,
if you buy a donkey from me and I send you a horse, you could ask for your money back and send said horse back to me, even though I put a stick on the Donkey azz which has "HORSE" printed in large red fonts, the said item is still a Donkey.

CATL doesn’t bother me. But I agree Ah rating is bait and switch. It’s more like you selling me a thoroughbred racehorse but I received a race horse of lesser caliber. Still a racehorse, just not as fast as advertised.

I’m unwilling to eat the cost to ship back. Return shipping is not free. If these end up testing out at 97% (eg 271Ah vs 280Ah) then the most I think my credit card will really do is provide me a partial credit. Likely at such a low Ah discharge rate that I can manage with my equipment (5A, which is like C/55) they will test higher than 271Ah anyway, even though I know it’s not spec

My experience with Liito Kala purchase has gone well enough so far. I placed an order back in mid April for a set of four 100Ah and 200Ah LiFePo4 batteries. I received them last Monday (June 14). So not too long of delivery. All cells look new with no visible signs of damage. Well packaged too. Still evaluating them but I like what the 200Ah show. All four 200Ah batteries had 0.20mOhms and approximately the similar voltage (3.2920, 3.2917, 3.2924, 3.2908). The 100Ah cells were not as tight with: 0.20mOhms 2.986v, 0.55mOhms 2.985v, 0.66mOhms 3.003v, 0.80mOmhs 2.992v. So that’s the good/bad thus far. Will have to charge them up and see how good they actually turn out to be. But they arrived, well packed, no damage, and they claim to be recently manufactured.

Attachments

• FC4E4A68-4771-4AC0-B794-EA7957BE3E1D.jpeg
    FC4E4A68-4771-4AC0-B794-EA7957BE3E1D.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 484F838F-8ECF-4CD7-A1E9-00761F789127.jpeg
    484F838F-8ECF-4CD7-A1E9-00761F789127.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 95A84973-3487-4917-AE2A-301891F6344F.jpeg
    95A84973-3487-4917-AE2A-301891F6344F.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 12
  • EDEC6076-53AB-4D66-AE9C-C297EB629C68.jpeg
    EDEC6076-53AB-4D66-AE9C-C297EB629C68.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 13
  • A527EC92-90C1-4AA3-B858-6693D46752BC.jpeg
    A527EC92-90C1-4AA3-B858-6693D46752BC.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm still top-balancing, but if they cycle at 271Ah instead of 280Ah, for my purpose they're fine. I may complain to the vendor and ask for a credit, but TBH I would have paid the same $ for 271Ah cells as these will go into an RV where they rarely get cycled more than 20-30%. That said my load tester is only 5A so quite likely at such a low C rate these may test at 280Ah or more even if they are only capable of 271Ah at 0.5C.

In my experience, until you get above 100 amps, discharge rate makes zero difference in capacity tests. You should on principle ask for a percentage back, since they sold 272ah cells as 280ah. The only way they will ever learn the importance of truth in advertising is if it costs them.

That said, even 280AH cells usually test below 280, unless you buy grade A cells (you would know if you did, they cost more and come with test reports).

In my experience, until you get above 100 amps, discharge rate makes zero difference in capacity tests. You should on principle ask for a percentage back, since they sold 272ah cells as 280ah. The only way they will ever learn the importance of truth in advertising is if it costs them.

That said, even 280AH cells usually test below 280, unless you buy grade A cells (you would know if you did, they cost more and come with test reports).
I did and AliExpress ruled in my favor. We'll see how long it takes to actually receive the refund

Because we are promoting the progress of science and useful arts by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries.
LiFePO4 was invented and patented by MIT and UT, just FYI.

The QR code, yes. I also provided test data showing a lower Ah value and then calculated the value of the refund based on that delta x total cost

I will update with more details once I actually see the refund in my account

Has anyone ordered from "liitokala Official Store" in the US? If so, what was the shipping time?

I ordered qty4 100AH cells 6 weeks ago and was curious how much longer I might have to wait.

Thank you
Hey! How have your batteries fared? Have you got a charging profile for these batteries? Have ordered these batteries but have not received a response regarding the charging profile
Regards Uffe

I ordered from Aliexpress "LiitokalaVaricoreFlagship Store" in late May 8 x VariCore 3.2v 100AH cells.

I received them today and I think things are a bit janky. 3 cells are charged to 2.8X, 2 of which have 'X' marks in black on the black covering near the terminals. Not confidence inspiring. The other 5 are charged to 3.00v or very near that.

I didn't notice anything physical individually, but placing them next to each other and pressing them together they are definitely puffy - you can see the gaps in the pictures I'm attaching - those cells are pressed together as much as possible.

So, I don't think these can make it into a legit setup - what are my chances of proving they are wonky/dangerous enough to have a refund?

If I'm stuck with them, I might make two 4S 12v packs each with $20 BMSs, connect in parallel, and make a box with a low-watt inverter, using a benchtop power supply as a 10A charger, and use it as a kind of beater beginner battery backup system. My intention was to build something and grow it in a modular way, but I'm not sure these can be a part of that vision.

Would these be dangerous to use and not really worth it?

What kind of testing should I do to find out?

Attachments

• LiitokalaVaricore1.jpeg
    LiitokalaVaricore1.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 16
  • LiitokalaVaricore2.jpeg
    LiitokalaVaricore2.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 14
Is there anything I can do to ensure fire? Is it a good idea to put the battery in an aluminum box to possibly eliminate fire?

Ordered 48/320ah in three batches from Liitokala Official store. Received 32 so far, a day after the delivery estimate for the first 16, but around 3 weeks sooner than the delivery estimate for the second batch. (Came in three deliveries, over two days). All 32 cells test within 3mv. Half of the cells had round "windows", the other had oval. Hooked random oval 4s to a Daly "Smart 250" and hit 'em with a carbon pile load tester and ramped up to about 375A until the BMS opened up. Charged to 14.4, no balancing other than the BMS, applied 18A load until LVCO, 291ah indicated... (Cold night, unconditioned space, end of test estimated 0300). Second test on round window cells @10A, warm weather, end of test early afternoon, LVCO @ 331ah. All cells looked perfect, but the boxes they came in looked like they got air-dropped out of a cement mixer... Waiting for the next 16... YMMV...

Ordered 48/320ah in three batches from Liitokala Official store. Received 32 so far, a day after the delivery estimate for the first 16, but around 3 weeks sooner than the delivery estimate for the second batch. (Came in three deliveries, over two days). All 32 cells test within 3mv. Half of the cells had round "windows", the other had oval. Hooked random oval 4s to a Daly "Smart 250" and hit 'em with a carbon pile load tester and ramped up to about 375A until the BMS opened up. Charged to 14.4, no balancing other than the BMS, applied 18A load until LVCO, 291ah indicated... (Cold night, unconditioned space, end of test estimated 0300). Second test on round window cells @10A, warm weather, end of test early afternoon, LVCO @ 331ah. All cells looked perfect, but the boxes they came in looked like they got air-dropped out of a cement mixer... Waiting for the next 16... YMMV...
Hopefully you got a good batch. Too many reports of used and bloated cells from that vendor for me.

Be sure to test well, and test every cell.

Not yet, just got the buss bars... Once again skipping the top balancing 'cause I'm impatient, and they seem to self balance in the flat part of the curve, which is where they'll live. They are pretty, though. Out of the 36 cells recieved so far only one had any visible imperfection, that appears to be a tape patch over the shrink wrap. Charging starts today...

Attachments

• E5972CF9-683E-49AE-AC0F-3F221E65CFD0.jpeg
    E5972CF9-683E-49AE-AC0F-3F221E65CFD0.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 6
Not yet, just got the buss bars... Once again skipping the top balancing 'cause I'm impatient, and they seem to self balance in the flat part of the curve, which is where they'll live. They are pretty, though. Out of the 36 cells recieved so far only one had any visible imperfection, that appears to be a tape patch over the shrink wrap. Charging starts today...
The flat part of the curve can narrow significantly without a top balance.
Lots of people have lots of experience, but everyone knows better.

Back