diy solar

diy solar

LiitoKala/Varicore 90Ah Cell Test

EMichael

I, like a few other posters recently (here,here, and here), saw these 90Ah LiitoKala cells on AliExpress for about $50 each and decided to take the plunge! My cells have arrived, and I figured I would post about my first impressions. I am by no means an expert in these things, so I'm interested in any helpful tips. I ordered 8 cells for a 24V / 2.2kWh system. All tests and charging was performed with an OverKill solar 8S BMS. Total cost with BMS was ~$500.

In the box:
  • Cells came packaged individually, wrapped in foam several times, in their own boxes. No damage, although cell bottoms were unprotected by the foam I suppose.
  • 8 cells came with 8 bus bars, sufficient for 8s configuration but insufficient for parallel connection (for cell balancing).
  • Bus bars are tinned copper, but pretty thin. Probably insufficient for high amperage situations as is, might want to double up.
  • Screws/washers included for bus bars are fine, threads look fine, everything goes together smooth.
  • All batteries arrived at 3.303 volts, within couple millivolts. At a guess, 50% SOC.
I got a 24V LIFEPO4 charger from FuelZero, I first bulk charged the batteries to get them close to full charge. I then top-balanced them with a benchtop power supply set to 3.65 volts. Both charging and top balancing went smoothly. I have this battery capacity tester:

I am almost done with the capacity test. They've, at this time, output 83Ah and are still at 25.1V. It seems the rated capacity is correct, but I will update when the test is over. I have attached photos. Let me know if there is anything else you'd be interested in testing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_182455_8.jpg
    IMG_20200831_182455_8.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20200904_105113_9.jpg
    IMG_20200904_105113_9.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200904_110435_0.jpg
    IMG_20200904_110435_0.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200904_154531_3.jpg
    IMG_20200904_154531_3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200914_152645_0.jpg
    IMG_20200914_152645_0.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200914_152658_2.jpg
    IMG_20200914_152658_2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 107
Test is basically over, I have 89.2 Ah on the meter! Not perfect, 3 of the cells hit 2.5 while the rest were at 2.9, so I assume they're not matched perfectly, or I balanced them not quite perfectly. However, 89.2 Ah from a 90Ah pack seems good enough for me to say that these LiitoKala cells do not seem like a rip-off!

Thank you for your review. I did not get my batteries yet so I can not give my impression.
By the way each cell cost me $33.44 with shipping.

Thank you for your review. I did not get my batteries yet so I can not give my impression.
By the way each cell cost me $33.44 with shipping.
Hello, do you still have the link to those batteries at that great price? Thanks.

Hello, do you still have the link to those batteries at that great price? Thanks.
Sorry. It was Just four days sale and then the price jumped back. If you click the first word (here) in the first line of this post you will see my old post about them during the sale.

I, like a few other posters recently (here,here, and here), saw these 90Ah LiitoKala cells on AliExpress for about $50 each and decided to take the plunge! My cells have arrived, and I figured I would post about my first impressions. I am by no means an expert in these things, so I'm interested in any helpful tips. I ordered 8 cells for a 24V / 2.2kWh system. All tests and charging was performed with an OverKill solar 8S BMS. Total cost with BMS was ~$500.

In the box:
  • Cells came packaged individually, wrapped in foam several times, in their own boxes. No damage, although cell bottoms were unprotected by the foam I suppose.
  • 8 cells came with 8 bus bars, sufficient for 8s configuration but insufficient for parallel connection (for cell balancing).
  • Bus bars are tinned copper, but pretty thin. Probably insufficient for high amperage situations as is, might want to double up.
  • Screws/washers included for bus bars are fine, threads look fine, everything goes together smooth.
  • All batteries arrived at 3.303 volts, within couple millivolts. At a guess, 50% SOC.
I got a 24V LIFEPO4 charger from FuelZero, I first bulk charged the batteries to get them close to full charge. I then top-balanced them with a benchtop power supply set to 3.65 volts. Both charging and top balancing went smoothly. I have this battery capacity tester:

I am almost done with the capacity test. They've, at this time, output 83Ah and are still at 25.1V. It seems the rated capacity is correct, but I will update when the test is over. I have attached photos. Let me know if there is anything else you'd be interested in testing.

I am also waiting for my 90AH to show up so I can build 12V pack, I paid about $47 ea on 9-06-2020, they still do not show up yet. I do have question about that battery tester with an in your picture. Is it easy to use? I see that it is rated at 150W, does it mean it will draw 150W constant load? I may get oen so I can test my battery pack. Thanks.
BTW, that form factor of the 90ah is not available any more, now they are selling this smaller form factor at $186 for 4.

Last edited:
The battery tester is extremely easy to use, my only complaint is that the battery terminals on the tester are a bit small and a bit close together. However, for a lowe voltage pack, I do not forsee any problems. Do yourself a favor any make good crimp connections, and all will be well. It says 150 watts, but the device itself was actually rated at 185 watts. However, to be safe, I had it pulling just about 5 amps (120-150 watts, depending on SOC). The test took about 18 hours.

Nope, haven't installed my system yet, but I have no reason to suspect that the batteries have changed while in storage?

How long did it take you to get the batteries? I order mine on Sept 6th and no tracking numbers or anything yet.

Batteries took 8-9 weeks I want to say...
Thanks, so which seller did you buy it from? Some members here gad problem with Liitokala official Store and had to ask for refund because the batteries were never ship after 2 months of waiting. Faby_AZ is one of them that did not receive the batteries.

I ordered from the LiitoKala official store, worked well for me. Maybe Faby had some COVID related delays?

In the box:

I finally receive my LIITOKALA 90Ah batteries that I order on Septh 6th (there was a delay of about 2 weeks due to I did not provide my phone araea code and I did not check the measage from Aliexpress seller requesting that info for FEDEX), I get about 88Ah ( open Voltage is 13.6V). The batteries show about 3.28V when I receive them. I top balance them to 3.6V. I am satified with them. Now I am waiting for LISHEN 272Ah I order from BASEN (ALIBABA), they should be here by the end of this month. BTW, the tester Volt meter is off by about 0.20V, My Fluke shows 12V when I stop the test.

Attachments

• Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 Capacity test_2 MEI received_11-30-2020.JPG
    Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 Capacity test_2 MEI received_11-30-2020.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_9.jpg
    Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_9.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_4.jpg
    Litokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_6.jpg
    Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_3.jpg
    Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Liitokala 3.2V 90Ah battery spec that was ordered on Sept 6.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_10.jpg
    Liitokala 90AH LiFePO4 from MEI receiveds_11-30-2020_10.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Very exciting, keep us posted on how things go from here.

I got a bunch of these cells too and they all tested slightly under 90ah. 87-88ah at 10 amps. But they're great cells. Looks like a different, shorter and wider 90ah cell has replaced these on AliExpress and AliBaba. I'll probably go for the 280ah going forward anyways.

I finally receive my LIITOKALA 90Ah batteries that I order on Septh 6th (there was a delay of about 2 weeks due to I did not provide my phone araea code and I did not check the measage from Aliexpress seller requesting that info for FEDEX), I get about 88Ah ( open Voltage is 13.6V). The batteries show about 3.28V when I receive them. I top balance them to 3.6V. I am satified with them. Now I am waiting for LISHEN 272Ah I order from BASEN (ALIBABA), they should be here by the end of this month. BTW, the tester Volt meter is off by about 0.20V, My Fluke shows 12V when I stop the test.
Hello, you are very lucky ... my batteries arrived in my country and then left !!! 2 times !!! 2 different sellers !!! I do not understand !!! Other compatriots, however, manage to order !!! I am sad because I had done very good deals on Aliexpress in terms of price ... I do not know what to do ...

So sad, is this a problem with ordering through Alibaba or all imported items? What country are you from?

Back