diy solar

diy solar

Limited charging current after adding EG4 LL battery

Another Data point: I have a single LifePower4 48V100A from Signature Solar attached to a Growatt SPF-3000TL LVM-ES inverter. The programming is set to LI and I see the charge current (overall and utility) are both 12A (which cannot be changed when LI battery is configured). Is the BMS forcing the limit or something else? I can of course set the battery type to USE or USE2 (not sure what the difference is) and control the charge current/voltage settings but I like the idea of the inverter getting the battery status directly from the BMS. Is there a firmware update (inverter, BMS or both) that would solve the low charge current issue using Li mode?

I tried using BMS_Test (downloaded from SS's website) but i don't see a setting that limits the charge current (a lot of screens are protected by a password that i'm trying to get from SS).

Charge current and voltage is coordinated with the battery BMS. It should fluctuate as necessary.
Mine is constantly changing, as available power and battery condition changes.

Charge current and voltage is coordinated with the battery BMS. It should fluctuate as necessary.
Mine is constantly changing, as available power and battery condition changes.
Good to know. the SOC indicated the battery was near full so 12A would seem reasonable.

Another Data point: I have a single LifePower4 48V100A from Signature Solar attached to a Growatt SPF-3000TL LVM-ES inverter. The programming is set to LI and I see the charge current (overall and utility) are both 12A (which cannot be changed when LI battery is configured). Is the BMS forcing the limit or something else? I can of course set the battery type to USE or USE2 (not sure what the difference is) and control the charge current/voltage settings but I like the idea of the inverter getting the battery status directly from the BMS. Is there a firmware update (inverter, BMS or both) that would solve the low charge current issue using Li mode?

I tried using BMS_Test (downloaded from SS's website) but i don't see a setting that limits the charge current (a lot of screens are protected by a password that i'm trying to get from SS).
With the GW SPF 3000TL LVM ES and one EG4 non-LCD, I've had the experience that the GW wants to default to 50a for both max charge and max AC input charge, while the actual charge rate is dictated moment to moment by the EG4 BMS. That would seem to mesh with your experience.

On a 3kw inverter generator, I want Program #11, AC Charge Limit, to be limited to 10amps, not more than 15. I don't care about Program #02, total amperage. You cannot set program #11 through the front panel, as the PDF Manual states. But you can set it through the app. 'growattyyyymmdd' is the password. Then you can 'push' a value of 10, 15, whatever you want. It will immediately adjust to cap at that value.

If you overload the EG4, killing power to the GW, the GW seems to pull the default value when you reboot the battery, I assume from the BMS on the EG4. In any case, it resets #02 & #11. And in that circumstance, at 75% charged, when generator's AC Output was started, the GW started charging the EG4 at 40.x amps, pulling 2.4kw from the generator!

No wonder the 'spec' for the GW3k, is a 10kw generator, according to the Manual.

I am speculating that there is a charging limit setting in the BMS on the EG4 that you can set for charge rate. After all, we know that a lower C rate will cause the pack to last longer. It would be odd that the pack would have a say on AC Charge Rate, rather than just overall charge rate.

Has anyone contacted Seplos, the actual BMS maker for the EG4? Signature Solar staff seem unwilling or unable to provide a real manual for their $1,500+ battery. I have little faith in getting answers.

Note:
I had an issue earlier where the 4/2021 GW w Firmware 51.01/52.01, would _Not_ talk w the EG4 at all. By flashing to 51.05, dated 20220114, it works.

I have a pair of Growatt 5000 es inverters operating in parallel charging 5 EG4 LiFepower4 batteries, a 4500w PV array feeding one inverter and a 3550w array feeding the other. Battery charging was ok and up to 2600watts or more per inverter while also supporting loads.

I then added a 6th battery which is the EG4 LL version. Since adding the LL battery both inverters limit output charge to ~1360 watts, nothing more. I've since added 3 more LiFepower4 batteries and still have charge power limited to 1360 watts per inverter. Needless to say all 9 batteries are not reaching full charge on many days where as before the charging was easily completed by noon.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes I've contacted SS but have been waiting for tech support to get back to me.
This thread was very helpful but I don't think the issue is between eg4 and LL. I recently purchased and am running 1- LL and it is giving me a similar issue. The day that I installed the battery to growatt 12000t my pv is being capped at 1350w. I was running 4 battleborns prior and did not have this issue. I'm not sure why its doing this but it is definitely annoying.

This thread was very helpful but I don't think the issue is between eg4 and LL. I recently purchased and am running 1- LL and it is giving me a similar issue. The day that I installed the battery to growatt 12000t my pv is being capped at 1350w. I was running 4 battleborns prior and did not have this issue. I'm not sure why its doing this but it is definitely annoying.

Are you using the communicaton cable? Charge limits are set by the EG4-LL if the GW is in LI mode instead of USE2.

The EG4-LL uses a different BMS than the plain EG4 battery. I think the plain one is better. If you need a battery display, either use an app, get solar assistant . io software, or use one of those knock-off Victron-copies [without Bluetooth etc] to give you a remote monitor. That additional LCD etc on the battery does nothing for the battery if it is stored out of sight.

Are you using the communicaton cable? Charge limits are set by the EG4-LL if the GW is in LI mode instead of USE2.

The EG4-LL uses a different BMS than the plain EG4 battery. I think the plain one is better. If you need a battery display, either use an app, get solar assistant . io software, or use one of those knock-off Victron-copies [without Bluetooth etc] to give you a remote monitor. That additional LCD etc on the battery does nothing for the battery if it is stored out of sight.
Hello mtts. Yes I am using the communication cable. That's what I paid for so I expected to use as advertised. I also have solar assistant connected for remote monitoring. My issue is that I can't use the full potential of my solar panels due to the bms capping at 1300w. Just got off the phone and she says that it is normal for the bms to regulate for a safe charge. And to top it off suggested I buy more batteries to fix the issue. So upset!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_135003_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_135003_Edge.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2
Back