diy solar

diy solar

Lion energy better than Battle Born?

, I have learned so much from you in the last year. If you could only teach me how to post a picture I would show you my setup. I think you would like it.
Thanks for everything
under the post window, there should be a link to attach files.

just purchased UT 1300 Lion Energy from Costco for my trolling motor needs . Will be taking it out after each trip ( its a 17’ old town square back canoe) so weight was a huge factor . will put it in a battery box for transport , Never have spent this much for a battery ($749) so Costco return played a big factor .

More up front cost but the reality is you're saving money. As for the canoe it's a no brainer, cut your battery weight in half and doubled your runtime.

... last weekend I saw a add from Costco for the Lion Energy on sale for 699.00 + tax and for 4 batteries it was 3052.00 delivered to my door so I figured I would just give them a try and if I didn't like them I could just return them in November because of Costcos excellent return policies ,

Do you have a link? I searched Costco.com and this battery wasn't there (nor was there any LiFePO4 battery or Lion Energy battery for that matter).

I'm interested in them because of the Costco warranty factor as well.

Edit: I did find them via a broad internet search: https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-safari-ut1300.product.100535965.html

How are you liking them so far?

Just go to Costco.com and type Lion energy into the search bar. There are a few items listed including the UT1300s
You must be a member to see the prices. ?

Do you have a link? I searched Costco.com and this battery wasn't there (nor was there any LiFePO4 battery or Lion Energy battery for that matter).

I'm interested in them because of the Costco warranty factor as well.

Edit: I did find them via a broad internet search: https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-safari-ut1300.product.100535965.html

How are you liking them so far?
I am sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver them right now , apparently I have to be here to sign for them. They were supposed to be delivered on Wednesday and I took the day off so I would be here to sign for them all for nothing, now I took today off so I can sign for them , they better show up this time or someone is going to hear a lot of foul language.

I am sitting here waiting for UPS to deliver them right now , apparently I have to be here to sign for them. They were supposed to be delivered on Wednesday and I took the day off so I would be here to sign for them all for nothing, now I took today off so I can sign for them , they better show up this time or someone is going to hear a lot of foul language.
If they are coming via UPS you can check tracking. A new and better UPS tracking method is called “follow my delivery” which once you’ve signed up will show the actual vehicle tracking to show where it’s at. Only works after it’s on the vehicle for delivery and once delivered it stops. In the few times I’ve used it it was dead on showing where the truck is so you can run to the store or errands and be back to sign.?

If they are coming via UPS you can check tracking. A new and better UPS tracking method is called “follow my delivery” which once you’ve signed up will show the actual vehicle tracking to show where it’s at. Only works after it’s on the vehicle for delivery and once delivered it stops. In the few times I’ve used it it was dead on showing where the truck is so you can run to the store or errands and be back to sign.?
Well they finally showed up 6 hours later than they said they would this morning and a hour and a half later than they said this afternoon , but they are here so I am happy now.
Thanks for the pointers on how to track packages in real time, will be handy next time.

Well they finally showed up 6 hours later than they said they would this morning and a hour and a half later than they said this afternoon , but they are here so I am happy now.
Thanks for the pointers on how to track packages in real time, will be handy next time.

Do you have the rest of the system too to test? (Inverter, SCC?) Let us know what you think.

Do you have the rest of the system too to test? (Inverter, SCC?) Let us know what you think.
Oh ya I have been using lead acid batteries for a year now, can't wait to try these out but I need to fully charge them first, the manufacturer suggested that I charge them one at a time and I have 4 of them so it will take awhile just to get them topped off and all hooked up.
Stay tuned

It appears that most of the time, the Lion batteries are not available at all (even by special order) at Costco, and then they pop up for limited promotional periods.

Reactions: TJM
I have a truck camper and the LE batteries weight and size factor was HUGE! I had questions and communicating with LE has been fantastic too.

tempImage6BvnIL.png

88E9791D-D5DF-47AC-B36C-DD11BAC907CE_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• Configure Victron BMV Battery Monitor and MPPT for Lion Safari UT Batteries.pdf
    271.2 KB · Views: 9
Very pretty, but does the Multiplus have room to ventilate and breathe?
Forced air via bilge blower --to draw out heated air--(up to 130CFM) and two -- 3" holes pull in air from the outside via underside of the camper in the shade. (3rd hole above to draw air up and out) This is on a digital thermostat and a PVM to adjust fan (blower) speed AND airflow direction... The two input vent holes are below the Multi and side by side behind the Solar controller....The 3 rd hole is up and to the left/top of the Multi---drawing air through it from below and a small amount across the top of the box. I literally can create a torrent of air flow.

Output of heated air from inside box goes into adjacent compartment (a heated compartment) and exits through the vent then through the blower and out the bottom. In the winter, the heat can be pipped in to keep the batteries warm or a "golden rod" can be heated and warms additional 15 degrees ambient air temp IN the box with batteries.

Last edited:
Did anyone figure out why a BB 100ah weighs 31 lbs and a Lion 105ah weighs 23 lbs? That’s a huge difference in weight. Surely that not just how the case is built?

Exactly, the BB battery uses a lot of metal for cell linking. There also likely has more weight from the BMS, and the enclosure construction.

Back