diy solar

diy solar

Lion Energy Safari UT 1300 - $699 @ Costco

DIYVan

Anybody jump on this deal yet? I was pretty set on just throwing all my money at Battleborn and having a proven battery that I wouldn't have to worry about, but it's almost like buy-three get one free at this price. @Will Prowse did a 160A test on the UT 1200, I'd hope the UT 1300 would be an improvement (seems like they did take his comments about capacity to heart since his first video).

Looks like it runs a few more days. Interesting to see Costco carry a small market product, but I'm not complaining.

Anybody jump on this deal yet? I was pretty set on just throwing all my money at Battleborn and having a proven battery that I wouldn't have to worry about, but it's almost like buy-three get one free at this price. @Will Prowse did a 160A test on the UT 1200, I'd hope the UT 1300 would be an improvement (seems like they did take his comments about capacity to heart since his first video).

Looks like it runs a few more days. Interesting to see Costco carry a small market product, but I'm not complaining.

Someone on the forum joined Costco for this deal and ordered these batteries. Costco later cancelled the order and wouldn’t refund the membership fee so be careful.

Someone on the forum joined Costco for this deal and ordered these batteries. Costco later cancelled the order and wouldn’t refund the membership fee so be careful.

Hmm, that's not inspiring. I wonder if that's a supply issue (I'm assuming they would've pulled it if it was though), or a membership (I've been a member for 15 years).

I'll report back when/if they ship.

Sounds like Bull Shit to me. I've been a member for 5 years straight now. The sign at the desk says right there if you are not satisfied with your membership you get a refund.
And right there on the website:
On Membership: We will cancel and refund your membership fee at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Now put it into perspective.
$2800 for 5 kWh of battery @ 12v.
$5400 for 5 kWh of battery @ 24v.
$10800 for 5 kWh of battery @ 48v.

I'm not understanding what you are saying here. 5kWh would be 5kWh regardless of voltage. 4 x UT1300 would be 5 Kwh @ 12v 24v or 48v (4p, 2s2p, 4s) would it not?

That's disconcerting, how many did they buy? The only reason I could see this happening is if someone joined and attempted to buy an exorbinate amount of these batteries for resale or something. But even then, that doesn't really justify cancelling the order and non giving a membership refund, and plenty of small businesses resell stuff they buy at costco, so even if it was someone buying them to flip them, unless they specifically stated this was against their terms of service, I don't see why the order should've been cancelled.

On the other hand, if the person isn't telling the whole story, and they purchased other things with the costco membership, I can see costco not offering a refund, as lots of people join costco for one big purchase and then try to cancel and get their membership fee refunded afterwards, which is abusing costco's business model, and legitimate paying costco members.

Yeah .... the 24V would be 10 KWH and the 48 would be 20 KWH.

Well 4 batteries could be configured to achieve any of those voltages and would be 5.4 kWh regardless of whether they are in a 12, 24, or 48 volt configuration.

But if you are comparing based on the same number of amp hours, then yes, 24v (8 batteries) would be twice the kWh and 48v (16 batteries) would be 4x the kWh

A 12v 1.3 kWh battery x 4 in parallel = 5 kWh battery, 8 of those same batteries thus makes a 24v 5 kWh battery. 16 to make a 48V 5 kWh now.

If you put 4 12v 1.3 kWh batteries in SERIES, you have a 1.3 kWh 48V battery.

A 12v 1.3 kWh battery x 4 = 5 kWh battery, 8 of those same batteries thus makes a 24v 5 kWh battery. 16 to make a 48V 5 kWh now.

8 would not be 5 kWh but 8 * 1.3 = 10.4 kWh, and 16 would be double that obviously.

Reactions: Dzl
Well 4 batteries could be configured to achieve any of those voltages and would be 5.4 kWh regardless of whether they are in a 12, 24, or 48 volt configuration.

But if you are comparing based on the same number of amp hours, then yes, 24v (8 batteries) would be twice the kWh and 48v (16 batteries) would be 4x the kWh
You are right ....I was just indicationg what his cost numbers would buy

A 12v 1.3 kWh battery x 4 in parallel = 5 kWh battery, 8 of those same batteries thus makes a 24v 5 kWh battery. 16 to make a 48V 5 kWh now.

If you put 4 12v 1.3 kWh batteries in SERIES, you have a 1.3 kWh 48V battery.

Jason, I think you are confusing watts with amps. Everything you say above would be correct if you replace kWh with Ah.

But the kWh and overall storage capacity for X number of batteries will be the same regardless of whether they are in series or parallel.

P = I x V
4 batteries in parallel (12v): (105Ah x 4) x 12.8V = 420Ah x 12.8V = 5376 Wh
4 batteries in series (48v): 105Ah x (12.8V x 4) = 105Ah x 51.2V = 5376 Wh

Jason, I think you are confusing watts with amps. Everything you say above would be correct if you replace kWh with Ah.

But the kWh and overall storage capacity for X number of batteries will be the same regardless of whether they are in series or parallel.

P = I x V
4 batteries in parallel (12v): (105Ah x 4) x 12.8V = 420Ah x 12.8V = 5376 Wh
4 batteries in series (48v): 105Ah x (12.8V x 4) = 105Ah x 51.2V = 5376 Wh
Thanks. :)

Reactions: Dzl
I just got a shipping notice and 4 tracking numbers, so it looks like it's still on. Free shipping, but tax (as you would expect).

1584747892275.png

I bought two on this Costco deal and they arrived yesterday. They came well packaged and shipped via UPS.

However, some further thoughts about LIon:
IMHO Their online manual (pdf) needs proof reading and lacks detail that I would like to have.
for example:
Storage Temperature -4 ~ 113°F 45 ~ 85% RH
14 ~ 95°F 45 ~ 85% RH
So just what is that saying?
And the manual should include optimal charge rates and voltages; a power curve would be nice too.
Too much adverts for other products they sell and two otherwise black pages of lines titled "Notes".
The batteries came well packed but it would have been nice to have a warranty card and a paper manual included.

Don't store below 4F or above 113F, nor below 45RH or above 85RH. Somehow these temps and especially the RH don't seem that extreme...the central valley California reaches near these temps frequently (I recall some hot summers with well over 30 days above 100F), and of course the RH is lower on average than their lowest RH. Additionally, coastside, the RH is often well above 85%, especially in winter. These numbers seem safe, but somewhat arbitrary.

Fuzzmunky415,
The info is on page 5 of the pdf manual, listed as #12 and in a box they have "Storage Temperature" and then another box with two separate lines:
The first: -4 ~ 113F 45 ~ 85% RH
The second, and underneath the above info: 14 ~ 95 F 45 ~ 85% RH
So which is it? minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit to 113 degrees Fahrenheit
or
14 degrees to 95 degrees Fahrenheit?
The 45 ~ 85% RH specification is the same for both, and I agree not unusual in any temperate climate to exceed those limits.

OK, so part of this is my problem, I used to be a printer and this is a pet gripe.
The idea is to convey information thru print.
Somebody signed off on this and didn't bother to proof read it.
And the reader wondering... just what do they mean and which specification is the right one?

Back