Lishen 270ah-272ah cell group buy.

Roswell Bob

Solar Addict
Not to be to much of a stickler, but for doing balance charging, it DOES NOT matter much where you have your positive and negative leads. You are driving all the cells to the same voltage and the current will eventually drive to near zero. So no difference.

People get confused because when you install parallel batteries into a final configuration with an inverter and a charge controller, it DOES make a difference. The reason is that you are charging and discharging at somewhat high amps, and if you don't have the same path resistance to all batteries then some batteries will bear more stress than others. This is not applicable to balance charging. So, don't worry about iit.
I agree - it does not matter much. If the charge current is allowed to tail off to some small value then eventually I am sure the voltages will end up the same. If the charge is abruptly stopped whie in cc mode then the currents in the bus bars will tend to continue until the voltages across each cell balance and current goes to zero.

ABunchTX

Solar Enthusiast
Any updates on cell shipments? Haven't seen any new posts from @Michael B Caro in a few weeks.

I switched from Lishen 272's (ordered about 2/20) to 302ah CATL cells from EV packs on July 4th - hopefully I'll get a tracking number before long. Anyone else that switched to those packs have an idea on how long it was from switch to delivery or ship date?

Last edited:

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
Actually I can but honestly not sure if it is needed. I would love to hear from others that really know not guess if it really makes a difference what orientation cells need to be.
DMI inc on Youtube has been running uncompressed cells on their sides in his home built powerwalls for over 100 days now with zero issues. That being said, I keep mine upright, but not compressed.

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
I did start to top balance one of the 16s packs, that will take a while so have a little breathing room! I may have to break into 12v packs and charge up first though! Looks like they will take a while.

The overall quality is good, no major dents or blemishes, all tested at 3.29 +/- 0.002, one does have its case “flipped” so the terminals are reversed from the QR code window (pic attached). So make sure you check them all for polarity!

also seem to maybe be different batches as there are two different sized QR code’s throughout the cells.
View attachment 57011
View attachment 57009View attachment 57010
I am using the same power supply. It was taking too long for me. So I did what you suggested. Charge 12V packs to 3.6, then put them all in parallel, and top balance to .1 amp across all 16. That sped things up quite a bit. Love the Riden supply!

Horsefly

Photon Sorcerer
Has anyone ever top balanced by hooking the batteries in series and use a charger with a balance wire hookup? I have an iCharger X8 and it can top balance in that fashion. I don't see an issue, but I could be missing something parallel top balancing does different.
No, a balance charger is not going to top balance. At least not the ones I've seen. It will stop once all the cells get to the voltage you have set, rather than continue until the tail current drops down low. Like I said here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/1-out-4-lifepo4-cells-is-failing-next-steps.25594/post-302104

stienman

Solar Addict
I agree. Use the series charging to bulk charge the cells quickly, but then do a regular top balance with all the cells, as the series bulk charge will not balance them as closely as a parallel copper bus bar would.

TWNomadin

Solar Enthusiast
No, a balance charger is not going to top balance. At least not the ones I've seen. It will stop once all the cells get to the voltage you have set, rather than continue until the tail current drops down low. Like I said here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/1-out-4-lifepo4-cells-is-failing-next-steps.25594/post-302104
Thanks for the feed back. Is there a charger that is recommended? And with that, I am sure they done have a BMS included, what is recommended as a BMS?

Last edited:

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
Thanks for the feed back. Is there a charger that is recommended? And with that, I am sure they done have a BMS included, what is recommended as a BMS?
I tried a cheap 4s BMS, but it did not work. Thank God i was monitoring with my BattGo.
I would just charge when you can monitor the cells to make sure you dont have a runner. After you hit 3.6, then put in parallel with a desktop power supply with CC CV capabilities. You should not have to monitor as closely when in parallel. It should be fairly quick for the amps to drop to near zero.

TWNomadin

Solar Enthusiast
I tried a cheap 4s BMS, but it did not work. Thank God i was monitoring with my BattGo.
I would just charge when you can monitor the cells to make sure you dont have a runner. After you hit 3.6, then put in parallel with a desktop power supply with CC CV capabilities. You should not have to monitor as closely when in parallel. It should be fairly quick for the amps to drop to near zero.
Right on, thanks

Stepandwolf

Solar Addict
Not to be to much of a stickler, but for doing balance charging, it DOES NOT matter much where you have your positive and negative leads. You are driving all the cells to the same voltage and the current will eventually drive to near zero. So no difference.

People get confused because when you install parallel batteries into a final configuration with an inverter and a charge controller, it DOES make a difference. The reason is that you are charging and discharging at somewhat high amps, and if you don't have the same path resistance to all batteries then some batteries will bear more stress than others. This is not applicable to balance charging. So, don't worry about iit.
So, my logic prevailed....one for the gipper :)

madsci1016

Solar Enthusiast
Any updates on cell shipments? Haven't seen any new posts from @Michael B Caro in a few weeks.

I switched from Lishen 272's (ordered about 2/20) to 302ah CATL cells from EV packs on July 4th - hopefully I'll get a tracking number before long. Anyone else that switched to those packs have an idea on how long it was from switch to delivery or ship date?
Also wondering if @Michael B Caro is on a vaca as im over a week out on a PM and haven't seen him post in a while.

Lookaflyingdonkey

Solar Enthusiast
quick update from me, I totally spaced on my battery order so hadn’t been checking in, came home Sunday to find a bunch of yellow boxes on my porch!

5 of the 6 boxes for my order have arrived, but there is no movement on the last box. I got new tracking notifications for 5 of 6 which now show as delivered, the original 6 tracking numbers are still pending (they are actually the same numbers, so I know which one is missing)

So it’s a bit bittersweet! 80% has arrived, so I still can’t build, but im closer!

will give it a couple days to see if the other one comes alive, but not sure what to do after that. Im sure they would have been in the same container…

March 17th - original 272ah order
April 28th - changed to 150ah
May 7th - shipping label
July 18th - 5 of 6 boxes delivered
Got home today and the final box was just sitting there (in the rain :ROFLMAO: )! Still no tracking updates on its number, but it showed up so thats a win! Now to wait 30 days for them both to balance!

MullerEnergy-Australia

Solar Enthusiast
Does anyone still know of a vendor selling Lishen 202Ah cells for $50 or thereabouts? I'm running low and my latest quote was over 50% more! 😯

bdserv

Solar Enthusiast
Got home today and the final box was just sitting there (in the rain :ROFLMAO: )! Still no tracking updates on its number, but it showed up so thats a win! Now to wait 30 days for them both to balance!
Mine too - happy the long wait is over. Already finished balancing 8 and have 8 in process that will probably finish by tomorrow. Then the fun starts as these will be going into a golf cart. As an aside - I top balanced without putting them in a clamping system and there is no sign of any swelling whatsoever [coslight 150 aH].

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
Mine too - happy the long wait is over. Already finished balancing 8 and have 8 in process that will probably finish by tomorrow. Then the fun starts as these will be going into a golf cart. As an aside - I top balanced without putting them in a clamping system and there is no sign of any swelling whatsoever [coslight 150 aH].
So clamping the cells together is not really needed for low to medium draw solar storage, but id used in a moving vehicle, I would want them clamped together and clamped down to the frame.