Lishen 270ah-272ah cell group buy.

Roswell Bob

Solar Addict
I agree - it does not matter much. If the charge current is allowed to tail off to some small value then eventually I am sure the voltages will end up the same. If the charge is abruptly stopped whie in cc mode then the currents in the bus bars will tend to continue until the voltages across each cell balance and current goes to zero.

Roswell Bob

Solar Addict

This is a charging profile with voltages taken at opposite ends of a stack of 32 of the 280Ah cells. I used 1MegaFarad capacitors to model cells. 100A of charge current. I assumed 0.0005 ohms of resistance per bus bar including the connection resistance. There was quite an imbalance in voltage (~2V) from one end to another. Current went to zero at 1.0Ms and voltage eventually balanced. I suggest to put charging current at corners of array rather than to make both connections at the same end. It might be worthwhile to run experiment and measure voltage imbalance both ways. I will run test when cells arrive.

bdserv

Solar Enthusiast
So clamping the cells together is not really needed for low to medium draw solar storage, but id used in a moving vehicle, I would want them clamped together and clamped down to the frame.
Yes, I certainly plan to provide mounting that will keep them in place in the vehicle!

Stepandwolf

Solar Addict
Got a PM from Michael! Woo! Even has tracking number!
I wrote Michael yesterday about purchasing some more cells. I am guessing my message to him is buried in a stack. Has anyone heard of a legit source for some 272A Lishens? That is what I bought from Michael and thought it would be nice to match with another 8 of the same.

Sanwizard

Photon Sorcerer
I wrote Michael yesterday about purchasing some more cells. I am guessing my message to him is buried in a stack. Has anyone heard of a legit source for some 272A Lishens? That is what I bought from Michael and thought it would be nice to match with another 8 of the same.
Lishen is not shipping. Nobody has stock. Many of us have been waiting over 6 months for them. Michael should be getting an update on Monday. He has other vendor 272, 280, and 302 available. Just leave him a message. He returned my conversation today, so I know he is catching up.

Stepandwolf

Solar Addict
Lishen is not shipping. Nobody has stock. Many of us have been waiting over 6 months for them. Michael should be getting an update on Monday. He has other vendor 272, 280, and 302 available. Just leave him a message. He returned my conversation today, so I know he is catching up.
Several vendors on Alibaba show them for sale:

Grad A and Brand new Lishen Rechargeable 3.2V 280Ah 272Ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery

I never studied mixing batteries as I am still doing the initial install, but am already wondering about expanding the system. I know EVE was a popular option that I think was similar as well.

Michael B Caro

Photon Sorcerer
Are there any issues with laying the cells on their sides like that? I've read conflicting reports about electrolyte draining away from plates etc. I know nothing about the structure of these particular cells, though.
The information that I have, is that the problem with laying the cells down is that the top is the weakest "side" of the cell. So laying them down puts more pressure on the weak "side" than standing them up, or having them at some kind of an angle.

That said, I would think that this particular problem is not nearly as big of a deal with the smaller cells than with large ones.

babybober

Solar Enthusiast
The information that I have, is that the problem with laying the cells down is that the top is the weakest "side" of the cell. So laying them down puts more pressure on the weak "side" than standing them up, or having them at some kind of an angle.

That said, I would think that this particular problem is not nearly as big of a deal with the smaller cells than with large ones.
@Michael B Caro Can you ask your distributors to get an answer from Lishen on running them on their side??

Michael B Caro

Photon Sorcerer
@Michael B Caro Can you ask your distributors to get an answer from Lishen on running them on their side??
I have asked before, and what I gave you is what I got. It is not recommended, and for the reason given. They recommend that if you can not stand them up, that you install them at an angle.

That said, he has seen them installed on their sides and never heard of there being a problem.
I have seen drop in read batteries taken apart that had the cells on their sides. Those were 100ah Ganfeng cells.
I think that, as is often the case, you have "best practice" and you have what works just fine in the real world but is not best practice.
With the smaller cells I would not worry about it at all.

TWNomadin

Solar Enthusiast
@Michael B Caro In your opinion, is Lishen still the best cell you see out there and those with orders should stay on the list, time permitting? Or is there something else that is as good or better that is actually shipping?

BobR

Solar Enthusiast
Several vendors on Alibaba show them for sale:

Grad A and Brand new Lishen Rechargable 3.2V 280Ah 272Ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery

I never studied mixing batteries as I am still doing the initial install, but am already wondering about expanding the system. I know EVE was a popular option that I think was similar as

I have asked before, and what I gave you is what I got. It is not recommended, and for the reason given. They recommend that if you can not stand them up, that you install them at an angle.

That said, he has seen them installed on their sides and never heard of there being a problem.
I have seen drop in read batteries taken apart that had the cells on their sides. Those were 100ah Ganfeng cells.
I think that, as is often the case, you have "best practice" and you have what works just fine in the real world but is not best practice.
With the smaller cells I would not worry about it at all.
Any new light on the 150ah coslights?