diy solar

diy solar

lithium and agm common ground

Atomvoyager

I'm installing Lithium "house" batteries and an AGM engine start battery on a sailboat. They are isolated on always separate circuits for safety. The solar is charging the lithium and I have a Victron B2B charger on a switch to occasionally charge the AGM from solar via the lithium bank. The engine alternator charges the AGM and I have a Renogy 40A DC-DC charger to transfer the alternator charge to the lithium bank. I plan on using a common negative bus bar for both banks. Is that OK?

Last edited:
Yes, best option on a boat is to have all your grounds combined, and bonded to the engine/prop. If you're doing an inverter/charger and will be connected to shore power, you should also invest in a galvanic isolator as that will prevent your shaft/propeller from becoming the grounding rod for the rest of the marina.

Thanks. That seems obvious but I wanted to confirm since this is my first time to combine lithium and agm.

Don't use the prop for your negative. When it turns the connection will fail. :)

Don't use the prop for your negative. When it turns the connection will fail. :)
Well, unless you have a well maintained rubber soft coupling, one should always assume that your engine is electrically connected to the shaft and prop. :)

Back