diy solar

diy solar

lithium bank and lead acid, common ground??

Sean_111

hi guys,
Im going over my house bank to prepare for connecting it to my 1200h lithium bank. Im keeping my lead acid as a dedicated bank solely for starting and the windless. Ive gone over everything I can access to separate the grounds for my engine gages and alternator wires to keep them part of the lead acid bank, but for some reason im still getting 11v between house - and engine +. no continuity between negatives according to the multimeter. Question is as follows,
is it ok for the two banks to share a ground, and in an old setup such as this, preferable to having it "isolated" with with weird stray current?
is there a concern for some sort of cosssover causing a load on the stray wire and posing a fire hazard?
Do you guys keep a common negative or is one floating or going to a grounding plate?
thanks in advance. always a wealth of knowledge on here.

I suspect that the 11vdc you’re measuring is coming through a piece of equipment. I would recommend that the grounds be bussed together under most circumstances. I’m sure there are exceptions, however I haven’t run into such a situation.

Except in very specific cases, the grounds need to be connected together. Exactly in one place, no more, no less.

Back