diy solar

diy solar

Lithium-Ion wins in grid storage

erik.calco

Solar Badger
While I love, use and only recommend LiFePO4 for in-home PV storage due to its safety/stability, the winner in grid storage is...

According to the most recent edition of the US Energy Storage Monitor (see Resources), lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are by far the dominant energy storage technology in today’s gridinteractive applications. Continuing a trend that dates back to Q4 2014, Li-ion deployments accounted for 94.2% of the energy storage market in Q2 2017.
(source: SolarPRO, December 2018)

That paragraph ends with...
Li-ion batteries provide excellent energy and power density; on the other, they present potential issues with chemical and thermal stability.

NMC (nickel manganese cobalt oxide) in Li-ion:
Yole Développement predicts that NMC materials will account for more than half of the global cathode market by 2022.

The Future
According to GTM Research, flow batteries accounted for just 5% of the US energy storage market in Q2 2017.

1586545437073.png

Because only a fraction of the electrolyte volume is in the battery cell stack at any one time, the shortcircuit potential of a flow battery is negligible, typically posing no danger to equipment or personnel. Flow batteries also do not present a thermal runaway hazard, and the electrolyte is generally not flammable. Some flow batteries do not even require auxiliary cooling systems because the liquid electrolyte itself regulates temperatures inside the battery cell stack.

Last edited:
For right now, LiFePO4 for sure.

I see Flow like Edison batteries. They are just too expensive for individual residential setups, however on scale extremely good value.

In the long term, 40 years maybe, I see hydrogen conversion being the only way to do go. Fuel Cell cars now show it is effective. I see problem is H2 collection and distribution. Until we have a Mr. Fusion to generate H2 the fly, it will be very slow to adopt.

Back