diy solar

diy solar

Lithium & Morningstar TS-45?

Cory

I have 500 panel watts, a Morningstar TS-45 (PWM), 2000 watt inverter and four 6 year old T105s. I purchased three 100ah SOKs to replace the tired T105s. I now have discovered setting the controller up for lithium is not as straight forward as one would expect. Is that possible? If so, should I carry on and do it or should I invest some money to purchase a Victron and monitor? I would prefer to not do that and purchase more panels instead. I'm thinking 300 more panle watts would put me close to the capacity of the controller. Probably get a Victron controller and monitor next year?

I have a Morningstar TS-MPPT- 45 with 465W of panels and a DIY 460AH bank. I had 4 GC2s for 6 years before that. I was able to successfully reprogram my Morningstar to work with the LiFePo4 bank. Do you own everything you need to connect to the controller? Morningstar has the required software free on their website. Have you seen the charging parameters SOK recommends here => https://www.currentconnected.com/product/sok/ ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the software, but do not have the usb to rs-232 cable. (I haven't needed one of those in a vary long time.) I will need to get one sent to the Arizona desert. We are boondocking, as a result everything is a bit more of a challenge. What I'm also debating is if I should bit the bullet for what is supposed to be a more efficient (MPPT) controller now? I'm thinking what a Victron coasts, isn't worth a little more efficiency??? We average between 8 to 18 amp hours over night.

Depending on your panels, you will very likely harvest more energy from an MPPT controller. Check out this video for a comparison of many of the leading brands.
. None of these are AIOs, which are popular in some circles, but aren't for everybody.

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the software, but do not have the usb to rs-232 cable. (I haven't needed one of those in a vary long time.) I will need to get one sent to the Arizona desert. We are boondocking, as a result everything is a bit more of a challenge. What I'm also debating is if I should bit the bullet for what is supposed to be a more efficient (MPPT) controller now? I'm thinking what a Victron coasts, isn't worth a little more efficiency??? We average between 8 to 18 amp hours over night.

Where (abouts) are you boondocking?

10-20% boost with MPPT even with the 5P 100W panels. You might get a little more 5S, but you'd need a controller capable of 150Voc/50A. The Victron 150/45 is $442. 150/60 is $491. That seems a bit spendy for another 50-100W at peak solar.

Depending on your panels, you will very likely harvest more energy from an MPPT controller. Check out this video for a comparison of many of the leading brands.
. None of these are AIOs, which are popular in some circles, but aren't for everybody.
Thanks for the link, very informative. I would like to see a comparison between MPPT and PWM.

Where (abouts) are you boondocking?

10-20% boost with MPPT even with the 5P 100W panels. You might get a little more 5S, but you'd need a controller capable of 150Voc/50A. The Victron 150/45 is $442. 150/60 is $491. That seems a bit spendy for another 50-100W at peak solar.
Parker Arizona, west side of the river. Less ATVs!

Thanks for the link, very informative. I would like to see a comparison between MPPT and PWM.

It's a pretty simple concept.

100W 12V panels typically produce 100W only at about 17.5V At that voltage, they're producing 100W/17.5V = 5.7A.

An MPPT allows them to operate at 17.5V by acting as a sophisticated DC-DC converter that steps the panel voltage down to battery voltage. It outputs a charge current that is higher than the PV input current.

A PWM forces the panel to operate at the battery voltage by shorting the panel directly to the battery. If you're charging at 14V, you only get 14V * 5.7A = 79.8W.

That's the difference.

Well I got a TrippLite U-209-000-R RS-232 cable to do a custom program, I hooked the cord and scanned the controller. Nothing! (As soon as I saw how the program looked. I was NOT surprised.) It's not a Chines cheap low voltage cord.

Yes, it's a good cable. DIP switches are set for custom. What am I missing? Other than a hammer an a Victron?

Last edited:
I assumed the program took care of the hand shacking. This is win 10, not 3.1.

I forget the sequence but I think you need to be unconnected to read and write the program. Cable connected but not program connected to read live data in order to do programming. A bit awkward.

I assume you have downloaded MSView to communicate. My netbook is win 98 and works fine.

Should be able to run through all the parameters on MSView on the computer and save the profile. Then do the programming.

I assumed the program took care of the hand shacking. This is win 10, not 3.1.
Seeing as I programed my TS 60 using this Surface Pro I am on now, I get it. Thanks for flash from the past. Back in the 90's I bought a 2600.00 Windows 3.1 system. Did my tax returns for the first time electronically In a pilot program.

Being 64, this is some memory lane right here. I started my IT career in 77. Now the cracks in the floor are expanding. So things are getting a little more challenging sometimes.

I assumed this would be a cord, program and win 10 would grab a driver and I would be on my way? I honestly think this is the tipping point? When I purchased this controller, many years ago, it was a popular option. It has worked well, but I never really liked it.

So, I believe today is the day I will be ordering a Victron 100/50? We are boondockers and I converted an aluminum cargo trailer. We don't use much energy and as a result, I don't see using anywhere near that potential.

I do want to thank everyone for there time and advice. Have a happy holidays and cheers.

Well we are the same age. MorningStars software is old (unlike the Victron stuff)(also a Boondocker here as well) Merry Christmas to you as well!

Back