diy solar

diy solar

Lithium VS Lead Acid and Series VS Parralell.

Checkthisout

Solar Wizard
Hello. You're not supposed to parallel lead-acid batteries due to cell imbalance issues that can crop up.

Does this hold true with lithium as well?

My system is 12V. I currently have 3 8D FLA batteries in parallel. I would like to keep the rest of my equipment and change over to Lithium (changing out only the 120V charger to a lithium compatible model).

Current batteries: 3 8D 240 AH batteries in parallel for 12V

Want to change to 2 or 3 of the Ampere Time 300 AH Lithium batteries in parallel @ 12V.

Not the same issues with lithium, much less picky than lead-acid. Ideally the batteries should be similar size, but even with quite different sizes they seem to work OK. My main battery bank is 3 batteries, each 24v @ 600 amp hours, in parallel. They are always within a few millivolts of each other and have been working great.

The fellow at "Offgrid Garage" did a video a while back with a very large battery and a very small battery in parallel, just just charged and discharged according to their size, worked fine. I think Will Prowse did a video recently on the same topice, you might look for it.

Say what? I've had multiple parallel FLAs for over a decade. Just properly maintain them and there will be no issues.
Yeah. I don't have any issues thus far, I am just going by what others have said....although they have been wrong about other things.

I am after more capacity and quicker charge rates.

What you don’t want to do with lead acid is something like having groups of four 12V batteries in parallel and then put them in series with one or more identical banks. Over the natural course of use you end up with circulating charge/discharge patterns at float which will quickly age the battery to the point of the worst cell.

The BMS on a Lithium battery addresses this making it less of a concern. A battery management system (like an Alber monitor) on a lead acid battery can also improve the situation.

What you don’t want to do with lead acid is something like having groups of four 12V batteries in parallel and then put them in series with one or more identical banks. Over the natural course of use you end up with circulating charge/discharge patterns at float which will quickly age the battery to the point of the worst cell.

The BMS on a Lithium battery addresses this making it less of a concern. A battery management system (like an Alber monitor) on a lead acid battery can also improve the situation.

Parralell series?

Back