diy solar

diy solar

Litime Lifepo4 Batteries - Rebranded Ampere Time Batteries?

Gibsito

I'm getting a couple of 12v 100ah lifepo4 batteries for my 5th wheel and have run across Ampere Time batteries, which I am considering going with. But while searching around I also see Litime batteries, which have the same case markings as Ampere Time, but are less expensive (Ampere Time is $349 minus a $20 coupon, Litime is $299). This is on Amazon. Ampere Time is also offering the 12v 100ah version for $329 on their website.

My question is whether Ampere Time and Litime are connected or is one a rebranded version of the other. I've searched but can't find an answer. The case markings are identical except for the name. They both have the same specs (100ah, 12v, 100a BMS). Both say they use Grade A cells, although Litime says their cells are "automotive grade" with "higher energy density." And both have a 5-year warranty.

As a side note, it's amazing to me how much the price has dropped on these in the past two years.

I just ordered a couple LiTime 24V 100AH batteries on eBay, the sale ($100 off) ends today. The seller is 'amperetime_us', who also is selling Ampere Time branded batteries. I'm 99.9% sure these are the same company. However, they do have two completely separate web sites - amperetime.com and litime.com. The sites are extremely similar, and if you look at the 'Our Story' page on each site, they are identical down to the names of the people quoted in each section.

I'm not sure why they're labeling some LiTime and some Ampere Time. The Ampere Time brand has higher capacity options available, such as 12V 400AH, 24V 200AH, as well as quite a few 12V under 50AH, while the LiTime does not have these. Ampere Time also has self heated options. Maybe they want a 'high end' line under Ampere Time, and 'low end' under LiTime, similar to Acura/Honda or Lexus/Toyota...

It doesn't appear that they are exactly the same battery with just a different label, if you examine a specific voltage and capacity across both brands. Although the electrical specifications are identical, the cases are not the same dimensions - LiTime are slightly smaller (narrower front to back) - by over an inch in the case of my 24V 100AH. But the 12V are much closer in size.

To add a couple more details, I found that I was able to download the LiTime user manual directly from their site without jumping through any hoops, which I much appreciated (and which frankly should be standard procedure). AmpereTime requires that you email their service department to request a manual. I also noted that LiTime shows the cells inside their cases being on their side (at least for 12V 100Ah and 24V 100Ah - I didn't check them all). That is, the terminals on the cells are facing the front of the case, not the top of the case. The BMS is shown on the top. This is slightly unusual, though not completely uncommon, and I'm pretty sure I have seen some Ampere Time teardowns with the same orientation. More commonly, it seems the cell terminals face the top, and the BMS is between the front of the case and the cells, or sometimes on the short side of the case left or right of the cells. I personally have no idea if any particular configuration is more preferred than another. :)

To add a couple more details, I found that I was able to download the LiTime user manual directly from their site without jumping through any hoops, which I much appreciated (and which frankly should be standard procedure). AmpereTime requires that you email their service department to request a manual. I also noted that LiTime shows the cells inside their cases being on their side (at least for 12V 100Ah and 24V 100Ah - I didn't check them all). That is, the terminals on the cells are facing the front of the case, not the top of the case. The BMS is shown on the top. This is slightly unusual, though not completely uncommon, and I'm pretty sure I have seen some Ampere Time teardowns with the same orientation. More commonly, it seems the cell terminals face the top, and the BMS is between the front of the case and the cells, or sometimes on the short side of the case left or right of the cells. I personally have no idea if any particular configuration is more preferred than another. :)
Thanks for the info, aaroncgi. All good to know. I ended up going with Weize 12v 100ah batteries (2), as I was lured in by the included low temp sensors at a price that was equal to Litime's, which doesn't have the sensors. LiTime advertised a good discount for Black Friday but they had raised the price just before that so even with the discounts it ended up being a little more than it had been advertised for a week earlier. The Weize batteries ended up being the same price as Litime's pre-Black Friday price, so it was a great deal. Time will tell if they hold up.

I was eyeing the Weize batteries myself, for the same reason as you. In the end, since I am setting up a 24V 200AH system, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier to keep two 24V batteries in parallel balanced than two (or four) 12V batteries in series or series/parallel. Weize didn't have any 24V offerings, and it was far more expensive to purchase a 24V 200AH single battery, than two 24V 100AH. I have a bunch of spare insulation and plywood, so it will cost me very little to make an insulated battery box. Although, our climate is fairly mild, so even just putting them inside a non-insulated shed (which is what we're doing) would likely be sufficient 99% of the time. Sounds like you got a great deal on the Weize, congrats! I, too, noticed that the Black Friday week prices, for all three brands I was considering - Ampere Time/LiTime, Power Queen, and Redodo - were higher than the week before, so I'm glad I bought when I did.

Li Time is Ampere time, they changed their name. They officially announce the name change on dec 14.

I've done a review of these that will publish on the 14th. It's all good, just a name change.

I just ordered a couple LiTime 24V 100AH batteries on eBay, the sale ($100 off) ends today. The seller is 'amperetime_us', who also is selling Ampere Time branded batteries. I'm 99.9% sure these are the same company. However, they do have two completely separate web sites - amperetime.com and litime.com. The sites are extremely similar, and if you look at the 'Our Story' page on each site, they are identical down to the names of the people quoted in each section.

I'm not sure why they're labeling some LiTime and some Ampere Time. The Ampere Time brand has higher capacity options available, such as 12V 400AH, 24V 200AH, as well as quite a few 12V under 50AH, while the LiTime does not have these. Ampere Time also has self heated options. Maybe they want a 'high end' line under Ampere Time, and 'low end' under LiTime, similar to Acura/Honda or Lexus/Toyota...

It doesn't appear that they are exactly the same battery with just a different label, if you examine a specific voltage and capacity across both brands. Although the electrical specifications are identical, the cases are not the same dimensions - LiTime are slightly smaller (narrower front to back) - by over an inch in the case of my 24V 100AH. But the 12V are much closer in size.
The same reason GM or Ford makes different cars that are very similar with a few different features unique to them, but branded different and at different price points…. No matter what you choose it’s all under the same roof… either way they win… = perfect marketing.

Back