diy solar

diy solar

Live Wind Turbine KWH Monitoring

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
1- Can anyone point me to a live wind turbine monitoring site? Something like the below screen shot from Hugh Piggott's blog? At least I think it's live but after logging in a few times over the last few months the Energy kWh's don't seem to be climbing but the daily kWh's do appear to keep up dating.

2- How about a small wind turbine energy calculator? Is there anything like NREL's PVWatts for small wind? Anyone can drop their address in there and within a few minutes have a very accurate estimate of the energy they can expect from the PV system they are considering.

1648993724990.png

1) I really do not know about any turbines sharing their data. Especially not publicly.
2) Yes I know one. Please excuse me that I really do not want to go look for it now though because it's not from the top of my mind but if you read up on my VAWT thread it's somewhere hidden there

Ahh no, sorry. 2) You were asking about wind speed at turbine level. i read that you wanted to have a turbine output calculator.
I still have not found anything that gives me average wind speed at a specific elevation at specific coordinates.

So I ended up buying a weather station

The closest I can think of is to use something like windy.com and search for your nearest community station. We must assume then that that station is positioned comparable to the conditions to which you need data for.
All very muddy so that is why I ended up going the DIY route

The closest I can think of is to use something like windy.com and search for your nearest community station. We must assume then that that station is positioned comparable to the conditions to which you need data for.
All very muddy so that is why I ended up going the DIY route
Negative 5 m from sea?

The interesting thing about PVWatts is that it's both accurate and easy to use. IE: In 10 minutes or less pretty much any homeowner can put thier address and PV system details in then get a no strings attached detailed monthly and annual KWH production that will be within ~5% of what thier system will produce.

I was 99% sure there was nothing for wind but wanted to check.

If there's any third party data out there backing up a wind turbine manufacturer's claims I'm not finding it.

Caveat emptor.

Sailors like wind turbines and probably track their productivity quite accurately. Maybe you will find what you are looking for in that realm. I know it is not exactly what you're asking for.

Sailors like wind turbines and probably track their productivity quite accurately. Maybe you will find what you are looking for in that realm. I know it is not exactly what you're asking for.
I'll keep my eyes open for such information. Thank you!

My main objective are the larger residential scale turbines. They are the ones that tend to be the most guilty of grossly overstating production from my experience. It's one thing to buy a $400 wind turbine on Alibaba that lets you down but an entirely different thing to spend $60k or more on a Bergey only to realize that you would have been far better off with $10k of PV.

Back