diy solar

diy solar

Local inspector shot me down

I live in Mecklenburg county, and my mind boggles at the volume of condo and apartment construction lately…
I grew up over on Bettie ford road.
Right next to Reames road and What’s now Harris Blvd.
We used to walk to the dirt track down on sunset.
We watched all the future NASCAR guy race there and have long since retired.
(Harris Blvd) or Delta road as it was called was nothing but farms.

It was a very different time.

I would want to know exactly what they are rejecting, and push for it.
I agree. Getting "shot down" is not very descriptive. In rereading the thread it seems engineering was the issue. I used the engineering from Ironridge with no issues. It is not the weight of the panels but the resistance to uplift from wind that had to be accounted for.

Last edited:
I grew up over on Bettie ford road.
Right next to Reames road and What’s now Harris Blvd.
We used to walk to the dirt track down on sunset.
We watched all the future NASCAR guy race there and have long since retired.
(Harris Blvd) or Delta road as it was called was nothing but farms.

It was a very different time.
Heh... the delta 6 theater is still there... not a theater anymore...

Move to MS.

I’m building there. I called about building permits and was told there are none required. I then asked about inspections. Was told there are none. No AHJ.

I’m building a power house 150’ from house. 20K in panels, 26K inverters, and 60K batteries to start,

Building beyond code.

Heh... the delta 6 theater is still there... not a theater anymore...
Yea that theater was built after Hurricane Hugo.
They had just built that Hotel where Tom Cruise stayed when filming Days of Thunder.
That’s when Charlotte really started to take off.
Not necessarily for the better.

Residential single and two family dwellings is on 2017 code until 2025. Inspectors CANNOT insist a inspection will need to be installed to the future code standards…
What does that mean? I bought batteries (system not installed yet) from an installer who said UL is not require where I live. But now I hear the new NEC requires it. I am I still under 2020 even if local AHJ adopts 2023?

Edit: I had wrong code dates

Last edited:
What does that mean? I bought batteries (system not installed yet) from an installer who said UL is not require where I live. But now I hear the new NEC requires it. I am I still under 2017 even if local AHJ adopts 2020?
In NC the local AHJ legally cannot "adopt" the 2020 code.

Back