diy solar

diy solar

Local inspector shot me down

I'm probably going to build a small solar EV charging trailer (since they won't have to inspect that!!!) to satisfy my solar cravings for now and save up for a full Sol Ark 15k system.
Yep make them portable. Here is one of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_172846.jpg
    IMG_20220814_172846.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 47
It is 2020, but only for commercial permitting.

Residential has a blockade on leaving the 2017 code until 2025. Some state law embargo or something...
@Supervstech, can your provide a link to the residential blockade? I was just told by an inspector in the Charlotte NC area that Residential must fully comply with NEC2020 as of July 2022.

Yep, just drive on it and you don't even have to plug it in. Ford Lightning, is a good idea.

@Supervstech, can your provide a link to the residential blockade? I was just told by an inspector in the Charlotte NC area that Residential must fully comply with NEC2020 as of July 2022.
Well the last two code review classes I went to said residential is 2017, if the inspector says 2020 by July, it is news to me. I would ask for verification.

My father was threatened by the local authorities after he installed a system on his farm.

We thought about it for awhile and decided if we wanted more PV's and components, we would buy a surplus school bus and fabricate cheap folding mounts to allow 4 solar panels wide (for the entire length of the bus) when unfolded. Perhaps 20+ panels.

At the first sign of trouble, we would simply drive the bus to another property and wait until the gestapo went away.

Its been a few months so I thought I would post an update. After being shot down by the inspector for a DIY offgrid system, I have taken the last few months to get quotes from local contractors and I'm just shocked by the prices. Most installers wanted $40-$60 grand for a 10kw system installed with batteries. The equipment varied but I focused on Sol Ark. Practical Preppers would not install in my area of NC. I called a list of Sol Ark certified installers within 100 miles of me and I only got one complete quote. I guess I'm gonna go back to a DIY trailer mounted solar generator.

ground mount isn't an option due to shading and inspector says a permit would be required anyway so the only cost savings would be engineering. Pitt County, NC has been on a mission to stick it to people that live here. Our real estate property taxes have increased 40% in the last two years and my 2016 Ram truck with 140k miles is now valued at nearly what I paid for it new. We have some of the worst net metering policies in the state and the inspectors have a habit of riding around looking for unpermitted building work, boats, animals, cars, etc so they can generate more revenue.
Doesn’t surprise me considering the mass influx of out of state people moving to Wake and Chatham counties as well as Mecklenburg.

People selling their 1800sqft house for a $1,000 ,000 and then coming here buying up whole counties.

Then enacting policies that caused them to flee the state they were in.

Vicious cycle.

Its been a few months so I thought I would post an update. After being shot down by the inspector for a DIY offgrid system, I have taken the last few months to get quotes from local contractors and I'm just shocked by the prices. Most installers wanted $40-$60 grand for a 10kw system installed with batteries. The equipment varied but I focused on Sol Ark. Practical Preppers would not install in my area of NC. I called a list of Sol Ark certified installers within 100 miles of me and I only got one complete quote. I guess I'm gonna go back to a DIY trailer mounted solar generator.
That just stinks that you couldn't at least get a few more serious responses. How many kWH of battery were they quoting?

Doesn’t surprise me considering the mass influx of out of state people moving to Wake and Chatham counties as well as Mecklenburg.

People selling their 1800sqft house for a $1,000 ,000 and then coming here buying up whole counties.

Then enacting policies that caused them to flee the state they were in.

Vicious cycle.
I live in Mecklenburg county, and my mind boggles at the volume of condo and apartment construction lately…

I would want to know exactly what they are rejecting, and push for it.

Residential single and two family dwellings is on 2017 code until 2025. Inspectors CANNOT insist a inspection will need to be installed to the future code standards…

Back