diy solar

diy solar

Local installation, why wired this way?

perceval

I have the local electric provider that installed my meter last week, and I am not very good when it comes to wiring everything up.

I'm curious why the return of the 110V is going through a breaker, and is it common practice to put the ground on the same with the return?
Here is a picture of the installation, and a drawing of it.
If someone could tell me why, it would help me to learn a lot more about electricity 101 ! :)
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0355.PNG
    IMG_0355.PNG
    224.5 KB · Views: 40
Can you provide a bit of context about the rest of your system? Where are you located in the world? Where is the power coming into this system coming from? Is the neutral (black in the diagram) connected to ground anywhere else in the whole system?

I'm in Taiwan.
This is early. I am planning to get containers set up on this land.
The local power company came to install a meter and the breakers. It is set up for a farm land, with farm equipment ranging from 110V to 220V.
I plan to have AC hooked to the 220V, and the rest of appliances on the 110V.
I was wondering why the neutral goes through the breaker on its way back.
The ground exits the meter box and goes into the soil. But it is connected to the neutral bus bar as well.

The breaker appears to be a residual voltage or ground fault breaker. It senses if there is current on the neutral line and trips if it detects a problem. Having the neutral bond with the ground in a panel is not abnormal if it is the main panel of an electrical service. You only want one point that this occurs.

great!
thanks for the clarification.

Having the ground on the neutral, will it induce hum when using hi-fi audio equipment?
Or will it be ok?

Back