diy solar

diy solar

Local Pittsburgh Solar Battery Fire

Could be cylindrical cells as well.
On
there is an image showing 1 battery slightly more intact, but I can't read the label.

The original linked article is unavailable for me due to some regio lock.

1675166655898.png

To mee this looks like simpliphi which appears to be LiFePO4

Last edited:
Looks more like 18650's to me:
Screenshot_20230131-151203_Chrome.jpg

While there are Lifepo4 cells in 18650 or similar formats, IMO these were not Lifepo4.

More pictures from the scene show massive fire bursts, more correlated with Li-ion than Lifepo4.

Check Simpliphi batteries off the list. lol
Not sure what type of battery chemistry they are using. They claim lithium "ferro" phosphate.
Not sure what "ferro" is. They also say lithium ion.
And LFP. But the F in LFP stands for iron.
So there's definitely something weird going on.

Looks like a LOT of dc cabling bundled together. Odds are there was a lot of load, and the wiring failed causing a short, and the batteries dumped power into the cabling, once the system started burning, the plastic and electrolyte burns, and ya have a nice big fire.

Looking over the photo, the boxes up top are far more damaged than the batteries themselves… I know hot air rises, but wow, far more damage above the batteries than at them.

Here is what it looked like before it went tits up. Other photo's show they used wood doors and pallets for the ceiling and room dividers. Looks like a shit show found a venue.

Attachments

• Full_Array_0506.jpg
    Full_Array_0506.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 454
It was a nice looking system.
Just a bad battery choice. And possibly some missing safety protection.

Reviewing the 4.5kw Sunny Island and the 1.4 PHI batteries there appears to be a design flaw in the installation

The Sunnyboy 4.5kw each can charge at 110 amp continuous / 140 peak, yet the PHI batteries are 28 ah maximum each so in 5p2s specified would be 140 amps continuous.

So the grid charges the batteries at 220 amp but the batteries can't handle more than 140 amp in that configuration. Add in the issue with wire length differences ( the manufacture warns against this ) would allow more current to one battery and it's a time bomb.

Someone didn't add up the pair of inverters charging ....

And to why so many battery's failed, there is likely a cascade effect. As the initial battery finally by either fire damage or OCP ( thermal trip ) is off line, the remaining batteries connected are subject to even more current.

I added the image below and the battery pair with the shortest run to the combiner ( in the box above the batteries ) clearly shows the most damage, pointing to uneven wire length as a contributing factor to the design flaw in maximum continuous current exceeded.

1-31-2023 9-43-58 AM.png

Last edited:
Back