diy solar

diy solar

Local surplus panels. Deal or no deal?

LGJohnVT

Hey, Still new to the forum and Solar power all together. A local Solar installer is selling some surplus panels. I'm thinking this is the best deal I can get on panels without shipping. I can't find prices on most of these online, but when reading the spec sheets they mention "industrial usage." Is there a big difference in Panels for different uses? Should I be seeking specific types for off-grid residential applications? Or is it all just about Watts, amps and volts?

Anyway here's some of the panels and prices I'm looking at:

JINKO EAGLE 60M BL G2 315W BLACK qty 6 $130
SOLARTECH UNIV EPIQ 305W BLACK qty 17 $125
JINKO EAGLE 60HM HBL G2 315W qty 4 $130
Q CELLS Q.PEAK DUO L 415W G8.2 qty 5 $150
Trina TSM-290PA14 72-CELL 40MM SILVER(Used) qty 8 $85

Anyone have particularly good or bad things to say about any of these? Thinking I might go with 4 of the Q Cells at the moment.

Very tempted by the price of the used Trinas, but I read there's been some issues with those taking on water?

I just look at price per watt and have paid as low as 14 cents/watt for used panels

The Q cells at around 36 cents/ watt is a decent price IMHO.

Here is brand new with full warranty around 36c/w but shipping would be additional:

I've heard of Q Cells and Trina, but not the other three. (I'm not an authoritative source on panel manufacturers. I know a few due to my search for panels.) The odd number of Q Cell panels would be a problem unless you were planning to put all five in series.

Here's some info on Trina panels. This may not be an indicator of all Trina panels however.

I just look at price per watt and have paid as low as 14 cents/watt for used panels

The Q cells at around 36 cents/ watt is a decent price IMHO.

Here is brand new with full warranty around 36c/w but shipping would be additional:

Yea, After researching quite a bit the Q. Cells Look like the best option at this point. I've been checking out a lot of those Santan deals. Unfortunately, the shipping to New England adds almost $50 per panel. Although, having a warranty on them might be worth the extra money. it's the same predicament I'm in over buying factory made LFP's vs. Building them from raw cells. Seems like a gamble, but panel prices keep going down, so I might just roll the dice on this set knowing I'll have to replace them in the future.

I've heard of Q Cells and Trina, but not the other three. (I'm not an authoritative source on panel manufacturers. I know a few due to my search for panels.) The odd number of Q Cell panels would be a problem unless you were planning to put all five in series.

Here's some info on Trina panels. This may not be an indicator of all Trina panels however.

Thanks for that! That Thread was super helpful.

Also, I'll probably only buy 4 of the Q.cells or if they want me to take all 5 I'll just keep one stored as a backup in case anything happens to one of them.

FWIW, I got 320 watt panels brand new from a local seller for $185. I paid taxes, but no shipping. CEDGreenTech.com.

Thanks for the input. I bought the 415w Q. Cells today. Can't wait to get them installed when the snow melts!

Back