diy solar

diy solar

Long term gel battery storage in the tropics

Skid

Solar Enthusiast
I presently live in Nicaragua but now plan to live around India 10 months a year, 5 months per visit to comply with visa requirements and in Nicaragua 1 month or so at a time. I have massively downsizing my life to a carryon suitcase, eliminating everything that isn't necessary and now living according to needs, not wants. Except for an espresso addiction which mucks up everything.

I sold the 10KW LFP system, the way too big house and building a 3x4m cabin with an incredible view of a volcano 1km away. True simplifying would be several LED lights running off one panel and a motorcycle battery but I have a 50 year old La Pavoni espresso maker that needs 800w for 10 minutes at a time, four times a day.

I was just given an old Giandel 24v 1200w inverter w/charge controller. The espresso machine is pure heating only so no need for PSW for starting loads. I'd prefer a small LFP battery but they aren't available in Nicaragua so looking at 2- 12v 50ah gel for 24v 50ah.

Is this sufficient for 800w loads for 10 minutes, and should everything be disconnected when away for five months (what I did with LFP when traveling) or is it best to keep these batteries on float?

Back