diy solar

diy solar

Looking at going 24v instead of 12v, what am I missing?

At like 6x the price of an MPP or Growatt allinone.
6x the cost? What the heck does a MPP cost?
edit: it costs $633
compare to $1270 + $200 for Multiplus 3000 and Smartsolar 30A or shave off $50-100 by going with an Epever controller.

If your concern was just saveing a few watts you could throw more batts at the system for the money you would save over the Victron route.
I don't think batteries are the issue, PV input is.
The MPP Solar 2724LV-MR maxes out at 600W at 24v. I don't know much about the MPP all-in-ones but I recall Will advising to budget 400W of solar just to cover idle consumption if your system will be powered on 24/7.

A Samlex or Victron is not going to be 6X the cost, more like 2 to 3X the cost...lol. I like the 2724 but it is weak on the PV side. And outputs up to 25 amps to the batteries if charging off the grid. As far as I know the PV and Grid can't be combined to apply more charging current. MPP claims the idle draw is less than 25 watts. Also I am not sure if the AC is passed through or if the inverter has to be on all the time with this model.

But it has positives too. It has AVR built in. It comes with the cables to connect to the battery. It has usb ports and 4 ac outlets built into it although they are not GFCI. And as with all the MPP's the charge/discharge profiles are customizable. With the Samlex one has to buy the meter to customize it.

It sounds good except the MPP solar, they have such a high idle and conversion loss that you'd eat up a lot of your stored power just sitting there when the power goes out, especially critical at a time where every watt used counts. STRONGLY recommend a Samlex or Victron inverter/charger and have a separate solar and solar controller circuit, Epevers are a great value in MPPT controllers.
What if I threw a DC on/off switch between the BMS and everything else, to include the DC 12v circuit and the MPPT controller. In other words, get it to the proper charge, stop the discharge at the BMS level and check it 3 months later?

I have a 24v system running my workshop. 24v led lights, 24v 3000w inverter. Thinner cables to the inverter and all batteries are more manageable. You can double up on your panels and get more use out of your charge controller (as opposed to 12v).

I have a 100v/40a epever mppt controller and the mpp voltage of my pv array is usually around 72-76v. On a rainy day it will still hover around 27-28v and still provide some charge.

Last edited:
I have a 24v system running my workshop. 24v led lights, 24v 3000w inverter. Thinner cables to the inverter and all batteries are more manageable. You can double up on your panels and get more use out of your charge controller (as opposed to 12v).

I have a 100v/40a epever mppt controller and the mpp voltage of my pv array is usually around 72-76v. On a rainy day it will still hover around 27-28v and still provide some charge.
Based on what you have now would you get a inverter/charger combo for $600 or stick with a separate inverter and charger?

Based on what you have now would you get a inverter/charger combo for $600 or stick with a separate inverter and charger?

I'd be willing to try a hybrid inverter in a future setup, but I'd spend more than $600. At the time that I put my system together I wasn't aware of their existence.

Back