diy solar

diy solar

Looking at inverter/charger, small boat

Zwy

Solar Wizard
I ordered 2 Zoom 100Ah 12V LFP batteries for my fishing boat trolling motor. I've looked at various 120V AC to DC chargers, most are overpriced for the charging amps. I've been searching around for an inverter/charger instead, higher charging amps and added bonus is I can always run a 120V AC appliance off it. Or take the inverter/charger out and use it in an emergency situation, or when remote power is needed and I don't have the truck camper or boat along.

Any suggestions on brands/deals out there? I see there are some AIMS refurbished ones out there that might work but exploring alternatives.

More info required:
Roughly what size charger?
Water resistant?
Budget?
This will be installed in the boat, portable, or kept dockside?

AltEstore has a dedicated section for Marine inverters, that might be a good place to start your search/research.
West Marine has a Kisae high frequency 1000W / 40A (charging) inverter/charger on sale for ~$370

12 volt system?
How many charging amps do you require?
At least 50 amps, 12V system. If I discharge by 50% the two 100Ah batteries, it would take 4 hours charging at 50 amps. Most chargers I see are 20 amps or less, or you find the marine chargers with multiple bank charging but split 20 amps between the 2 banks. I think the current charger that is on the boat (was on it when I bought it) is around 8 amps total, 2 banks of 4 amps each.

At least 50 amps, 12V system. If I discharge by 50% the two 100Ah batteries, it would take 4 hours charging at 50 amps. Most chargers I see are 20 amps or less, or you find the marine chargers with multiple bank charging but split 20 amps between the 2 banks. I think the current charger that is on the boat (was on it when I bought it) is around 8 amps total, 2 banks of 4 amps each.
The Samlex Evo I linked charges at 0-60 amps.
The charge profile if very configurable.
And the charger is top tier for efficiency as its based on a big iron transformer.

More info required:
Roughly what size charger?

50a or more
Water resistant?
Not important.
Not that important but not spending as much as the boat cost me. :)
This will be installed in the boat, portable, or kept dockside?

Semi mount in boat possibly, why buy an inverter/charger if you don't use the inverter? I do places to mount that would be "water resistant" unless the boat sinks. Boat is never left on water overnight. Has a cover if I'll be staying for a day or two.

AltEstore has a dedicated section for Marine inverters, that might be a good place to start your search/research.
West Marine has a Kisae high frequency 1000W / 40A (charging) inverter/charger on sale for ~$370

The Samlex Evo I linked charges at 0-60 amps.
The charge profile if very configurable.
And the charger is top tier for efficiency as its based on a big iron transformer.
What is the difference between the EVO-1212F-HW and the EVO-1212F?

That Kisea actually looks like an interesting lower cost option.
Deserves a deeper inspection.
I've not seen anyone using it on the forums.
Off to find the manual and poke around.

Says it can do 2x surge for 1 second which if true is actually useful.
Most fet based high frequency inverters have 2x surge for ~20ms(1 ac cycle).

Input Standby Current<3.0A

That is not awesome.

Its a 2000 watt high frequency inverter, weight is 8 kilos and cost is $749.99 not sure if that is USD.
The comparable Samlex unit https://www.donrowe.com/samlex-evo-2212-pure-sine-inverter-charger-p/evo-2212.htm is a low frequency inverter, weight is 27.7 kilos and the cost is $1,079.99USD.
I had found it way back and mentioned it here with little discussion. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/bic-launch-kisae-inverter-charger.23206/

If I went low freq, I'd probably go with a refurbished Aims but haven't seen where they offer customizable charging parameters. I'll have to do some thinking on it, water here is getting "hard" soon. I'll be ice fishing instead.

Look at it this way... at current oil prices, what you save on fuel by going ice fishing instead for just one trip, will pay for the inverter ;·)

Reactions: Zwy
Back