diy solar

diy solar

Looking for 24v charge controller for both solar and wind generator

DudleyCO

Putting together a small off-grid system for a remote location in Colorado.

I've already purchased two Battleborn LifePO4 batteries (12v, 100ah apiece) to wire in series, which will reside in a 120qt cooler with a very small heater to maintain 35degrees plus. I can easily add another pair later.

I've got plans for 2 or 3 200 watt 24v panels (we get a LOT of sun).

I'd like to buy a charge controller/inverter (around 2-2.4kw) but want to make sure it can handle a wind turbine (to supplement the panels).

Does it make more sense to buy them separately?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've never seen an all in one unit that offers wind, solar and inverter.

Are you 100% certain wind is actually worthwhile for you? Have you done the research? Do you know that the 400, 1600, 2000W rating of a wind turbine has NOTHING to do with how much power you'll get out of it?

If you decide wind is actually worth it for you, then it likely makes most sense to buy a separate wind charge controller suitable for your microturbine.

I'm not anti-wind. I plan to deploy it eventually 'cause "we sure get some good wind"... but the reality is it's hard to extract any energy below 10mph with a turbine that has a full 6' diameter rotor. I'll be lucky to average 80-100W over the course of a year, and it's going to cost me $2400. At $0.10/kWh, it would take me 34 years to break even if I was on grid.

Your cautions about the unreliability are noted. I'm not dead set.

The remote location is on the Wyoming/Colorado border, and is one of the best places for wind... and yes, it's still iffy. I was only thinking of supplemental power.

I suppose, with the low price for solar panels, it probably makes more sense to put that money into overpaneling and more battery storage.

Anything yellow and above is likely worthwhile at 10m height vs. the reported 30m height. Your area looks about the same as mine in ENE AZ, but probably a little better.

100W average is still 2.4kWh/day, and it can lessen battery load overnight if you get wind at night.

It's about KNOWING what you're getting vs. guessing. If you have other folks in the area with wind, I'd be asking them.

MOAR solar is never bad. :)

Back