diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a 12 Volt Split Phase

2nd House

West Texas Ranch
Hello All...
I'm looking for a 12V Split Phase Inverter/Charger with transfer.
I know, I know...12V is no good and you should go to 48V.
Here's why I want to stay with 12volt: Primarily I have 2 Battle Born 100 amp batteries, and I do not want to purchase more batteries.
I may be talked into a 24volt Split Phase Inverter/Charger with transfer, but then I would need to buy a step down transformer, which means another device that may go bad, which I can not have in the remote wilderness where this cabin is.

At any rate, that's what I'm looking for and 12 volt is sort of hard to find.
Also, I don't need any thing exotic like SolArk Grid Tie, as the utility company I am with does not offer grid tie...Gridty?...GridTie?...they don't offer outside storage. This will mainly be to keep my refrigerator turned on when the power goes out...which happens a lot out here. My last setup like this, was a simple Reliable brand 3000watt inverter, which I used an external WFCO Transfer switch and a 30 amp adapter to get my two power lines to the transfer switch...but I would like to have a split phase inverter/charger with its own transfer switch
Thanks for the help

I have a PowerJack similar to this one. This is not a 6000 watt but they just call it 6000w like a model name. The listing says 3000watt continuous. I have the 24v version. I tested it with some 1/2HP well pumps. The two wire type, it would run. But the one that has the starter box and the electrolytic capacitor with relay would not start. During normal operation one leg was 109v and the other 114v. This type of inverter had the voltage regulated on the low voltage side of a step up transformer, so no surprise on the volts being off a bit.

You can buy more expensive inverters of this type, like this one.

The Victron MultiPlus inverter/charger can do split phase. Available in 12V 2000VA and 12V 3000VA. There are 24V options too.
The MPP all-in-one can do split phase. Available in 12V 1000W. 24V options too.
The Growatt all-in-one can do split phase. Available in 24V 3000W.

Of course you need two such inverter/chargers wired in parallel to do split phase.

One thing to consider a 3000w split phase will only give you 1500w per leg. So if you have a 1800w load that is running on a 3000w inverter, it would not be okay on a 3000w split phase.

Consider getting a 240V single phase model - which are widely available at 12V - and adding an autotransformer. 6kW autotransformers are readily available and as long as the inverter supplies the voltage and frequency you need, splitting it with an autotransformer is a safe and easy way to provide split phase power.

Further, if you do choose a high frequency inverter, the autotransformer will provide a significant advantage in dealing with brief load changes, such as starting larger motors without tripping the inverter's protection mechanisms than it could handle without a transformer in the circuit.

AIMS/Sigineer have 12v low frequency models with split phase output.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ8UDG0/

My personal experience has led me to believe that if you want to keep a specific budget, you are better off picking an inverter and gearing for the battery voltage you need, instead of the other way around.

Last edited:
The Victron MultiPlus inverter/charger can do split phase. Available in 12V 2000VA and 12V 3000VA. There are 24V options too.

To clarify, no single Victron inverter natively provides 120/240VAC split phase. The MP-II has a means of automatically managing 50A RV power:

50A 120/240V AC-in:
L1 = MP passes through L1 to L1 leg of panel. Can provide UPS and power assist functions.
L2 = Passed directly to L2 leg of panel. No UPS or power assist functions on that side of panel.
Charges battery with surplus AC in on L1.

30A 120V AC-in:
L1/L2 = MP passes L1 to both legs of the panel permitting all items to function on 120V. UPS and power assist function available.
Charges battery with surplus AC in on L1.

Inverter mode (no AC input):
MP provides L1 to both L1 and L2 side of panel powering all devices on the panel with single phase 120V.

Back