diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a good LTO primer

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
I'm looking for a good introductory article or video on LTO, something like what the solacity article is to LFP.

Anyone come across anything like this?

Wikipedia article:

This may not be exactly what you were asking for, but I noticed Will Prowse has 2 videos on testing an LTO bank:

Part I:

Part II:

Will did have this to say about the LTO test in his initial comment on Part I video:

"After messing with these cells some more, I don't like them. They are heavy, expensive, inefficient, hard to wire, and the charge cycle/ temperature benefits aren't really necessary for my applications. There are some interesting applications for these cells, but I found them to be a pain in the butt. And yes these are probably cheap/grade b cells considering their price. Not a big surprise if they are, but I don't care to research it more due to the downsides of this chemistry. That discharge inefficiency loss is just horrible. I'm sticking to LiFePO4. Seems like the car audio crowd likes these cells for their charge and discharge rates. Makes sense. Anywho, they are very interesting cells. But I have no motivation to do further testing. Going to focus on LiFePO4. Currently my favorite chemistry. Superb properties for solar power systems."

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
Does anyone have any specs on the discharge efficiency of these cells that would explain Will's comments about poor efficiency.

In general terms, it just doesn't seem to me that a battery that can operate at such a high C rate without getting hot ... would be a very efficient battery. If they were inefficient wouldn't they be getting very hot when operating at 7C or so?

Does anyone have any specs on the discharge efficiency of these cells that would explain Will's comments about poor efficiency.

In general terms, it just doesn't seem to me that a battery that can operate at such a high C rate without getting hot ... would be a very efficient battery. If they were inefficient wouldn't they be getting very hot when operating at 7C or so?
I suggest checking out this video it is discussed briefly (and just a very cool video). Also, check the top comments, Will has commented, and I think maybe learned more and shifted his opinion somewhat since making his video. From what I recall, for low C-rates (which means something very different for LTO than it does for LFP) coulombic efficiency (is that the proper term) is quite high (like >97% or something), but at high C rates it suffers.

If I'm reading this datasheet (right side middle) correctly (not sure that I am, its poorly translated, and has some typos), discharge efficiency for these cells is 97% at 5C, 90% at 20C, 70% at 50C. I interpret this to mean if you put 100 units of energy in, you will get 97, 90, or 70 units out depending on C-rate.

Wikipedia article:

This may not be exactly what you were asking for, but I noticed Will Prowse has 2 videos on testing an LTO bank
Thank you for this. I watched the first of those videos a while back, as I recall its not exactly what I am looking/hoping for, but I will go back and watch both again. I'm sure there is good info in them.

I'm hoping for an informed, impartial, succinct general overview of the chemistry, the dos and don'ts and the characteristics of this battery type. It may be that this chemistry is too new and unused for something like this to exist yet.

@Dzl .... I hate to say it, but if you can't find it it may not exist.

• Haha
Reactions: Dzl
Just go to Youtube and key in LTO Battery , Brendon Tait and David Poz have a better efficiency test. This chemistry has been around for 25yrs .

It has taken this long to get to us DIYers and a price that is not too hard to buy

JimJr

Just go to Youtube and key in LTO Battery , Brendon Tait and David Poz have a better efficiency test. This chemistry has been around for 25yrs .

It has taken this long to get to us DIYers and a price that is not too hard to buy
Thanks Jim, I have watched some of Brendon's videos (the ones related to LTO, but first found his Unimog Vid's). There are mang videos on youtube, but most are tests or builds either by people that don't know much about the chemistry and are just trying it out, or are very experienced with the chemistry and making videos on more specific and less general/introductory topics. I am still searching though, and I did really enjoy the videos Brendon Tait made.

I'm really hoping to find a good introduction, there are many such articles for LFP, but haven't found one yet for LTO.

LTO is a little different on the they work , the electrolyte (polyvinyl alcohol and Lithium salt ) only transfers electrons and not a chemical change to create flow of electrons , The main important part the do not contain any form of carbon to catch fire .

I have work with LTOs for about 5 years and tried to abuse them and @99% of the time , they come back for more torture .

As for information , the only sources are lab papers and promo advertising.

Back