diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a off grid place to buy?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Meet Juniper Acres Oregon! Most properties out here are 10 acres. I have view of 9 cascades mountains. This area is full of solar farms. All the solar power you need. Wind is good also. Bend is about 30 minutes away. Oregons off grid laws are not the best, but this county doesn't really enforce much. Biggest draw back is no wells. But there is water delivery or you can pick it up.

About 14500 years ago there was a crazy flood that dumped a wild amount of all kinds of semi precious stones & crystals. I find the coolest rocks every day I look. There is a nice reservoir pretty close.

Its is cold at night about 8 months outta the year. I got my lot for $30k, bare with a house permit. Not all lots have a house permit but people build anyway.

I haven't been on that side of Bend. For a few years we spent some time each spring collecting fossils mostly in Lake county, near Christmas Valley.

I used to work at OSU and lived in Corvallis for several years. Single nicest place I've lived in my entire life. You are on the dry side of the Cascades. How many inches of rain do you get per year? I'm thinking about rooftop water collection myself, but this would be more for garden irrigation than full-time water. Hauling water is no fun.

Why no water? base elements of life start with water...
That would seem a deal breaker.
The only answer I got to that was "its too deep".This area had the Missoula floods & Bonneville flood. The Bonneville layer is where I am finding gems. Its like cement. Below that is the Missoula layers. Those are like silt rock & could be hundreds of feet deep. People have tried & I hear there are a few. But as a general rule a well will get you nothing. Rain water harvesting is totally technically doable. One if Oregons weird, I call them anti off grid laws says you cant drink rain water... No offense intended but that is retarded. Burn fuel to transport water but dont drink rain.....

probably government overreach I would guess... it is a blue state after all.
Kinda but you know.

I used to work at OSU and lived in Corvallis for several years. Single nicest place I've lived in my entire life. You are on the dry side of the Cascades. How many inches of rain do you get per year? I'm thinking about rooftop water collection myself, but this would be more for garden irrigation than full-time water. Hauling water is no fun.
Those areas are super nice. I'm from Portland. Less rain by a lot but there is plenty if managed correctly. There has been a lot of damage done by the cows to the grass. Juniper & sage are not supposed to be this prevalent. Reversing this is a project worthy of xprize $. If done correctly the cows can fix the damage we caused by raizng them the way we do. Free ranging cows is bad. Not as bad as feed lots but its pretty bad. Fixing the grasslands will fix the water issue & the methane from cows. Healthy grass sequesters more carbon than trees, holds more water in the ground & sequesters the methane from the cows at the same time.

For me hauling water is not bad. I prefer delivery tho. Once my place is done I will be drinking rain water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been on that side of Bend. For a few years we spent some time each spring collecting fossils mostly in Lake county, near Christmas Valley.
I don't think I'd go looking for fancy rocks. But since my property is covered in them I have gone all in on research. My in-depth research had told me I have some fancy s. If I had the tools I could go into business I have so much.

t could be having to drill 600' or more to find water. My guess is the farmers selling alfalfa to Japan are using it all up.
Yup & yup

The only answer I got to that was "its too deep".This area had the Missoula floods & Bonneville flood. The Bonneville layer is where I am finding gems. Its like cement. Below that is the Missoula layers. Those are like silt rock & could be hundreds of feet deep. People have tried & I hear there are a few. But as a general rule a well will get you nothing. Rain water harvesting is totally technically doable. One if Oregons weird, I call them anti off grid laws says you cant drink rain water... No offense intended but that is retarded. Burn fuel to transport water but dont drink rain.....

Kinda but you know.

Those areas are super nice. I'm from Portland. Less rain by a lot but there is plenty if managed correctly. There has been a lot of damage done by the cows to the grass. Juniper & sage are not supposed to be this prevalent. Reversing this is a project worthy of xprize $. If done correctly the cows can fix the damage we caused by raizng them the way we do. Free ranging cows is bad. Not as bad as feed lots but its pretty bad. Fixing the grasslands will fix the water issue & the methane from cows. Healthy grass sequesters more carbon than trees, holds more water in the ground & sequesters the methane from the cows at the same time.

For me hauling water is not bad. I prefer delivery tho. Once my place is done I will be drinking rain water.
at my cabin at Fuji, the total well depth (community shared well) was 1000 meters to reach water. about 250 families get water from it and all chipped in for the costs of drilling it and building a pump station. total cost was over 100k so yeah if you had to drill that far on your own I could see it being prohibitive. as it is when I bought my cabin the share in the well had already been paid, but they did mention that when pump replacement time came we would all need to chip in funds to keep using it. currently the costs to get water are the electricity to pump and a basic maintenance contract for the pumping station. it works out to about 250 USD per year so not bad at all considering we can use as much water as we want (no limits).

Oh and I totally Agree on having only one rule about being nice...

As to Japan buying all the alfalfa... sorry top net importer form the US is China. Japan is a couple of hundred million dollars behind china... https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=25364

As to Japan buying all the alfalfa... sorry top net importer form the US is China. Japan is a couple of hundred million dollars behind china... https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=25364
I didn't say Japan is buying all of the alfalfa, I said farmers are using up the water to grow the alfalfa they sell to Japan. Out in the Christmas Valley area they have to keep drilling deeper and deeper to get water. One farmer I talked to the last time I was out there a couple of years ago (thanks Covid) said they had to go 1600'. Not much grows out there without irrigation and the grass farmers are using massive amounts of water. The water table drops by many feet every year and isn't sustainable at current use rates.

I didn't say Japan is buying all of the alfalfa, I said farmers are using up the water to grow the alfalfa they sell to Japan. Out in the Christmas Valley area they have to keep drilling deeper and deeper to get water. One farmer I talked to the last time I was out there a couple of years ago (thanks Covid) said they had to go 1600'. Not much grows out there without irrigation and the grass farmers are using massive amounts of water. The water table drops by many feet every year and isn't sustainable at current use rates.
I simply stated that china buys more than japan. if not then why not the alfalfa they sell to china? the biggest purchaser..... that was and is the entire understanding i have of this. have a nice day :)

What’s funny about all this alfalfa talk...
Last year a/the big box mega company chain store I indirectly work for sold small 1/5-size “hay” bales for Halloween/thanksgiving decorative purposes and they were tagged made in China. They sold for about the same as an actual hay bale you can feed the cows with that a half hour drive out of the urbanhood is available everywhere in Vermont.
I found great humor in this.

And I was distressed in my head wondering what pests, mice, bugs were being introduced to North America from asia.
Are miniature hay bales shipped by boat from China actually cheaper to produce and ultimately purchase than hay from American soil?!!

...I simply stated that china buys more than japan. if not then why not the alfalfa they sell to china? the biggest purchaser..... that was and is the entire understanding i have of this. have a nice day :)
The farmers in that area that I talked to tell me they have to drill really deep wells to find water, and they sell their Alfalfa to Japan.

Water usage is not the only issue with how we run our planet. 95% of human effort is wasted. Product obsolesces is a thing. Fully 70% of humans are living in a fantasy world. Everyone wants their own set of facts...
What’s funny about all this alfalfa talk...
Last year a/the big box mega company chain store I indirectly work for sold small 1/5-size “hay” bales for Halloween/thanksgiving decorative purposes and they were tagged made in China. They sold for about the same as an actual hay bale you can feed the cows with that a half hour drive out of the urbanhood is available everywhere in Vermont.
I found great humor in this.

And I was distressed in my head wondering what pests, mice, bugs were being introduced to North America from asia.
Are miniature hay bales shipped by boat from China actually cheaper to produce and ultimately purchase than hay from American soil?!!
Your concerns are totally valid. We are trashing the planet to make crap no intelligent person wants.

Not much grows out there without irrigation and the grass farmers are using massive amounts of water. The water table drops by many feet every year and isn't sustainable at current use rates.
There are places in Cali that the ground level has dropped by 40'-50' due to over use of well water.

The guy that told me the waters too deep said its too deep because of the tectonic plates. This area is so stable Facebook built its 1st data center here. Now there are so many data centers, they light up the night sky. Creepy.

But still the night skys are still amazing. So many stars.

Back