diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice and possible help settling up my system in Florida

FreeAmerican

New to the solar world, but have jumped in full force. I am setting up an alternate power source for my home. Initial set-up is for the backup and expanding to full time. I have purchased 12 SEG 305w panels 39.9voc 9.45a imp, 4 ea LiFePO4 12v 200ah batteries and am about to pick up a MPP LVX 6048.

Later expansion by adding 12 more panels and another LVX6048.

No t for grid tie, just uninterrupted power supply.

I have the components and need a knowledgeable electrician to put in a new breaker panel and install the inverter and make the battery connections. I know this a DIY forum and I will be building the solar panel stand. Electricity is not my forte' and I don't want to fry my new equipment.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Building your panel stand out of what?
My panel is located in the garage. On the common wall I'm planning on putting 1/2 concrete board attached to the studs and mounting the equipment on it. I have a bench that is 30" x 36" and store the batteries below.

Solar is kinda specialized and was hoping an expert near Ocala FL would appreciate a project.
Whatever expert you find, make sure they're licensed, bonded, and insured. Electricity can put your whole home at risk, if not done right; and that coverage you thought your insurance company would provide....nope.

My panel is located in the garage. On the common wall I'm planning on putting 1/2 concrete board attached to the studs and mounting the equipment on it. I have a bench that is 30" x 36" and store the batteries below.
"...and I will be building the solar panel stand" not= "On the common wall I'm planning on putting 1/2 concrete board attached to the studs and mounting the equipment on it" ?

"...and I will be building the solar panel stand" not= "On the common wall I'm planning on putting 1/2 concrete board attached to the studs and mounting the equipment on it" ?
I get sarcasm with a newbie, but I'm not a kid and have already planned a mount for my 12 panels. Do you have any helpful advice?

Whatever expert you find, make sure they're licensed, bonded, and insured. Electricity can put your whole home at risk, if not done right; and that coverage you thought your insurance company would provide....nope.
Yes sir. Not looking for cheap, just qualified for the job. Pulling wire in a condo is much different than setting solar system values.

I get sarcasm with a newbie, but I'm not a kid and have already planned a mount for my 12 panels. Do you have any helpful advice?
Helpful is where I was headed. I was asking what type of panel mount that you are planning to build? What structure material? Also, what the panels will be mounted to.

I'd rather ask a community of experts if there is someone in the area that loves solar and would be a good fit for my project. I guess either way. lol.
That's a reasonable request. Sometimes the tribe just want to dog pile you. I've worked a solar guy that now lives in Florida but can't remember where he's at exactly. He's straight shooter and can either help you or point your towards someone who can. I'll try to get a hold of him and let you know. He travels a lot.

Helpful is where I was headed. I was asking what type of panel mount that you are planning to build? What structure material? Also, what the panels will be mounted to.
Thanks I appreciate the input. The interior of my garage is unfinished. I was going to fasten the 1/2" hardie (composite) direct to the studs. Then mount the inverter, fuses, and additional boxes to that board. I have a small industrial table to mount against the wall and either put the batteries on top or on a stand below. The good thing is, I have not done anything yet so all options are open. It is time for expertise. Trial and error is a bitch.

As far as the panels go, I am going to ground mount 4 h x 6w. Panels are 39" x 61".
Treated posts 4x4 set at 10' apart 20' wide.
Then set 2 ea 2x6 across the front and rear plumb level.
The rear posts a little higher than the front abt 28 deg.
Unistruts across top and bottom lateral mounted to the 2x6. The run vertical 10' struts at two per vertical row to mount the panels on. I'll work out an adjustable hinge set-up later.

But either, if done wrong, can lead to fire. Aside from that, do you live in a condo?
I have a house that is on an acre. I need to redo the panel and want to integrate the battery backup/solar system at the same time. No grid tie. Just lower my bills and have 10kw for backup.

That's a reasonable request. Sometimes the tribe just want to dog pile you. I've worked a solar guy that now lives in Florida but can't remember where he's at exactly. He's straight shooter and can either help you or point your towards someone who can. I'll try to get a hold of him and let you know. He travels a lot.
Much respect. Thank you.

As far as the panels go, I am going to ground mount 4 h x 6w. Panels are 39" x 61".
Treated posts 4x4 set at 10' apart 20' wide.
Then set 2 ea 2x6 across the front and rear plumb level.
The rear posts a little higher than the front abt 28 deg.
Unistruts across top and bottom lateral mounted to the 2x6. The run vertical 10' struts at two per vertical row to mount the panels on. I'll work out an adjustable hinge set-up later.
I gave a lot of thought about making an adjustable tilt and after seeing the numbers, it is not really worth it. Something like 71% ideal production without adjusting and 73% ideal with adjusting seasonally.

I built a 6 post (4"x4") stand for 12 large panels. I put 2, 2"x4" on the taller back legs for braces. These were diagonal from the center rear post to the outer rear posts. I could shake it pretty well before the bracing and after the bracing, much stiffer. Mine were 3 high. 4 high, maybe bracing front to rear would help. Try to shake it like a strong wind would and see where bracing might be needed. Also, I have seen metal corrode from the chemicals in the treated wood where it contacts steel, even galvanized. Maybe the galvanize was bad/cheap. I would consider a piece of roof felt or something like that on the metal to wood interfaces. I might have some photos of my wood mount. It was built temporary and then removed when I got a steel pipe structure built. Nothing wrong with wood, just was not my real plan.

edited...found the photo. correction, mine was 4 high, 3 wide in landscape orientation.

Attachments

• 12panel-rear.jpg
    12panel-rear.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 10
I have a house that is on an acre. I need to redo the panel and want to integrate the battery backup/solar system at the same time. No grid tie. Just lower my bills and have 10kw for backup.
just a quick FYI note, in the solar community, panel is an ambiguous word. could mean PV (Photovoltaic) panels or electrical panels (also known as load centers). If you're not careful, communication can become confused.

Since you're planning a 48v nominal system, did you make sure the batteries your purchased are series capable to 48v (LifePo4 actually closer to 59v at full charge)? I don't think you mentioned the brand.

Back