diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice and possible help settling up my system in Florida

I gave a lot of thought about making an adjustable tilt and after seeing the numbers, it is not really worth it. Something like 71% ideal production without adjusting and 73% ideal with adjusting seasonally.

I built a 6 post (4"x4") stand for 12 large panels. I put 2, 2"x4" on the taller back legs for braces. These were diagonal from the center rear post to the outer rear posts. I could shake it pretty well before the bracing and after the bracing, much stiffer. Mine were 3 high. 4 high, maybe bracing front to rear would help. Try to shake it like a strong wind would and see where bracing might be needed. Also, I have seen metal corrode from the chemicals in the treated wood where it contacts steel, even galvanized. Maybe the galvanize was bad/cheap. I would consider a piece of roof felt or something like that on the metal to wood interfaces. I might have some photos of my wood mount. It was built temporary and then removed when I got a steel pipe structure built. Nothing wrong with wood, just was not my real plan.

edited...found the photo. correction, mine was 4 high, 3 wide in landscape orientation.
Excellent. That's just about exactly what I have planned. At 39" x 61" the 3 high x 4 wide will fit the 10 x 20' footprint. Have considered sched 40 pipe for the lateral supports to secure the unistruts like you have. Thanks for the photo example.

Excellent. That's just about exactly what I have planned. At 39" x 61" the 3 high x 4 wide will fit the 10 x 20' footprint. Have considered sched 40 pipe for the lateral supports to secure the unistruts like you have. Thanks for the photo example.
More detailed about the way the horz pipe is tied to the wood post. See top left corner of photo.

Attachments

• WoodMountDetail.jpg
    WoodMountDetail.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 5
just a quick FYI note, in the solar community, panel is an ambiguous word. could mean PV (Photovoltaic) panels or electrical panels (also known as load centers). If you're not careful, communication can become confused.

Since you're planning a 48v nominal system, did you make sure the batteries your purchased are series capable to 48v (LifePo4 actually closer to 59v at full charge)? I don't think you mentioned the brand.

DJLBERMPW Lithium battery, 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 battery iron phosphate lithium battery

Manufacturer states 4 can be wired in series. They are stated to have a built-in BMS

just a quick FYI note, in the solar community, panel is an ambiguous word. could mean PV (Photovoltaic) panels or electrical panels (also known as load centers). If you're not careful, communication can become confused.

Since you're planning a 48v nominal system, did you make sure the batteries your purchased are series capable to 48v (LifePo4 actually closer to 59v at full charge)? I don't think you mentioned the brand.
So if these will not work, I can still return them. What is your opinion?

So if these will not work, I can still return them. What is your opinion?
It sounds to me like they will work, according to the MFG. I was just asking because it's one of the gotchas you have to watch out for, and it seems you did. :) It would've sucked to get all the way to implementation, turn everything on, then burn up the BMS because it couldnt handle the voltage.

Has that brand been reviewed by Will? Was it a recommendation by someone you know? Have you done any capacity testing with them, yet?

If you haven't, I urge you to before your return period expires. Budget LifePo4s can be a crapshoot if you're not careful.

It sounds to me like they will work, according to the MFG. I was just asking because it's one of the gotchas you have to watch out for, and it seems you did. :) It would've sucked to get all the way to implementation, turn everything on, then burn up the BMS because it couldnt handle the voltage.

Has that brand been reviewed by Will? Was it a recommendation by someone you know? Have you done any capacity testing with them, yet?

If you haven't, I urge you to before your return period expires. Budget LifePo4s can be a crapshoot if you're not careful.
Certainly something I'll review with the electrician. Here is a test on the 300ah version from the reviews

This LiFePo4 battery was made by Enjoybot and re branded. It shipped from a local warehouse in Chicago, in a few days had it. Received at approx 50% state of charge. Charged it up with my Epever 20 amp solar charger. Took about 10 hours. Resting voltage at 13.5v Load tested at .06C rate, 230 watts (halogen lamps). Took about 18 hours to get load voltage down to 12v SOC approx 10%. Do the math. If
DJLBERMPW sends me another I'll review that one too. Great battery. Update: 12/27/21 Tested From 100% SOC 13.56v to 12v at a .36C discharge rate (109 amps) Got approx 3,600 wh using a Reliable inverter and a 1,600 watt heater. 305+ amp hours. I am a IBEW Journeymen Wireman of 31 years and know what I'm telling you. This battery delivers more that advertised... Once again DJLBERMPW send me another I will test it also.

Certainly something I'll review with the electrician. Here is a test on the 300ah version from the reviews

This LiFePo4 battery was made by Enjoybot and re branded. It shipped from a local warehouse in Chicago, in a few days had it. Received at approx 50% state of charge. Charged it up with my Epever 20 amp solar charger. Took about 10 hours. Resting voltage at 13.5v Load tested at .06C rate, 230 watts (halogen lamps). Took about 18 hours to get load voltage down to 12v SOC approx 10%. Do the math. If
DJLBERMPW sends me another I'll review that one too. Great battery. Update: 12/27/21 Tested From 100% SOC 13.56v to 12v at a .36C discharge rate (109 amps) Got approx 3,600 wh using a Reliable inverter and a 1,600 watt heater. 305+ amp hours. I am a IBEW Journeymen Wireman of 31 years and know what I'm telling you. This battery delivers more that advertised... Once again DJLBERMPW send me another I will test it also.
Very nice. My father was an electrician for several years before he took a job with TECO (Tampa Electric Company). He was also a member of the IBEW. Oddly enough, his employment at TECO led him to become a mechanic certified welder (repairing boilers and who knows what else) at the power plants.

I picked up some limited AC knowledge from him, but that is not my trade/profession. Most of what I've gathered came from this forum, or sources linked to by/from here.

It sounds to me like you know plenty about AC. Why do you need an electrician? Do you just not want to do the work yourself?

Very nice. My father was an electrician for several years before he took a job with TECO (Tampa Electric Company). He was also a member of the IBEW. Oddly enough, his employment at TECO led him to become a mechanic certified welder (repairing boilers and who knows what else) at the power plants.

I picked up some limited AC knowledge from him, but that is not my trade/profession. Most of what I've gathered came from this forum, or sources linked to by/from here.

It sounds to me like you know plenty about AC. Why do you need an electrician? Do you just not want to do the work yourself?
The review was from from Amazon. I have little AC experience. I work 6 days/week and my day off is full. I would love to have time to learn and do it myself. Me doing it is not in the cards now and I want the system set-up.

Good to see another Union guy on here!

Back