diy solar

diy solar

Looking for advice single home circuit backup

psycaz

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move to correct one.

Looking for advice/clarity on building a battery backup power system to run a single circuit in my home in the event of a power outage.

Max load would be 660w continuous. 860w surge. It will not be a constant draw though. That’s my fridge allowing for high end of power consumption after the surge for the compressor kicking on. I’m not planning on running the fridge on this really. It should be ok overnight, closed. But trying to allow for it if needed.

In winter, want it for my furnace’s fan, 450w. Doesn’t run all the time. Typical between 15-20 minutes per hour. I’ve measured multiple times overnight with a stopwatch. Things you do when you can’t sleep.

Summer, would like to run the bedroom circuit for a small AC unit, 590w running. Not sure of surge. If I can’t, so be it.

Will have a transfer switch installed to isolate the circuit(s) to run off my generator during the day, want battery setup for overnight. Live in a city, not practical to leave a generator outside running, it might not be there when I wake up.

Overnight, the only circuit would be the furnace fan. If I ever power the fridge or small window a/c, I’d plug those directly into the inverter.

Looking at 4 Eve 280ah or 304ah in series for 12v. Bigger cells for longer duration. Also let’s me not leave them fully charged sitting while still having enough power for the start of any outage.

BMS: Overkill 120a BMS ok??? Enough amps?

Those parts I think (not totally sure now as I type) I have right. Until I start thinking inverters. I can get by with a 1000w, but I can add $$$ and get a 2000w and know I won’t tax it at all. Pure sine wave no matter what size.

Do I need to upgrade the BMS due to bigger inverter even if I have zero plans/need of using the extra power now or ever in this setup?

Do I need to shunt this? The 500a Victron, buy once and be done if I ever go bigger. I understand battery monitoring, but batteries will be recharged every morning when used by the generator. Otherwise, system will sit for a few months, then get used to just cycle the batteries a bit, recharge and sit again.

Need to insert a fuse? What size? Desired draw or based off inverter?

Wire size to connect battery to inverter? Maybe 12” max run each.

Going to everything into a box for compression and safety. Inverter on top, everything else inside. Hopefully one of the group 27-31 battery boxes.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m stuck in paralysis by analysis. Not knowing enough to think my way out of it either. But knowing enough that I need to ask for advice.

Be careful, the item you would receive doesn’t come with the Generator input.

Tai

Thank, I’ll look into that one. I already had picked up a Reliance Controls 3006hdk unit. Got it fo a song, nib.

Reliance is a nice one, I almost bought one from eBay $120, I think. What I like about the APC is the 2 back up sources and automatic transfer when the utility is out. And if generator run out, it would switch to UPS automatically or vice versa.

Tai

I completely understand. the idea of automatic is enticing. But I’m very reluctant to go that route. My city sees dollar signs with any “improvement”. They’d consider that an improvement because it’s automatic. A generator transfer switch isn’t considered one, just pull your permit, install correctly and be done.

Wire from batteries to inverter:

1000W will need 80A @ 12V cont. so #4AWG?!

I am using an 3kVA APC UPS as inverter @48v and my wires are #6AWG.

Tai

I have an online ups.

Main components are a 280ah @ 25.6 volts nominal diy lifepo4 battery.
a converter

I made some charge termination logic for the converter using a raspi.

Its been working basically non-stop for most of a year now.

Its very inefficient using a converter to ac into dc and then an inverter to turn it back into ac but I like it that way.

For anyone else with a reasonably sane usage model I would suggest to use a samlex evo inverter/charger.

Last edited:
That is the definition of online UPS:)
AC > DC then DC > AC…We call it double conversion.

I am wondering if anyone has tapped into the AC > DC to charge the batteries? In theory, from a typical 3000VA UPS (2700W/0.9PF), we could get almost 60A @48v!!! No charger needed :)

I think 120A BMS is good for OP.

Tai

I have an online ups.

Main components are a 280ah @ 25.6 volts nominal diy lifepo4 battery.
a converter

I made some charge termination logic for the converter using a raspi.

Its been working basically non-stop for most of a year now.

Its very inefficient using a converter to ac into dc and then an inverter to turn it back into ac but I like it that way.

For anyone else with a reasonably sane usage model I would suggest to use a samlex evo inverter/charger.
@smoothJoey Could you share pictures of your build?

Nice IoT relay, how does it work?

The ac2dc converter is plugged into a receptacle on the IOT that is controlled by a NC=normally closed relay.
The raspi talks to the bms and controls the iot relay so it can turn off the converter.
The raspi also uses an SSR=solid state relay to switch the converter between float and boost.

So the controllable states are...
power=on/off
boost=on/off

Back