diy solar

diy solar

looking for advice

danny87jc

Im based in Birmingham, UK.

I want to put together a 5.6kw system using 14 400w solar panels on my flat roof.
A 48v 5000w all in one inverter. Ive been looking at the victron easy solar.

currently i dont have the spare funds for batteries.

I want to set it up so it limits grid feed to less than 3kw and also in the event of a power cut the system functions off grid.

how do i set it up to achieve this?

Do i need multiple inverters? A dedicated off grid inverter plus one connected to the grid?

how do i set it up to achieve this?
The concept is to use a current sensor to measure what is going to the grid. The inverter must be able to do that so look at details. You can do it with a single grid tie inverter optimally.
EDIT: I reread the post and to clarify, you could use a single hybrid inverter with batteries. Most hybrids have current sensors and can't limit export.

Last edited:
A battery covers power cuts at night or if there is very thick cloud.

To give an example under thick dark cloud such as a thunder storm our solar output can be below 10% of what it is in ideal sunny conditions.

i plan to either purchace a 4.8kw pre built battery or import one from china. I just want to get the details hammered out before i start dropping cash

ok so lets say 14 x 400 watt panels, total 5.6kw
1x 5kw hybrid inverter
4.8kwh battery

as far as im aware, inverters shut down during grid failure. how could i have backup power if the inverter cant turn the dc energy from the battery into ac to power appliances.
so would i need 1 inverter for grid in/out and a separte for backup or could one do it all?

how could i have backup power if the inverter cant turn the dc energy from the battery into ac to power appliances.
so would i need 1 inverter for grid in/out and a separte for backup or could one do it all?
Yes a hybrid inverter could do it all. They are sometimes called Grid Interactive bidirectional inverters. A Grid Tie inverter shuts down. A hybrid inverter disconnects from the grid when grid goes down and powers the loads. It disconnects (islands itself) to protect workers who maybe trying to repair the grid.

Back